Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weighing wheel by wheel
John Bonnett

posted on 20/3/22 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Weighing wheel by wheel

I have only one bathroom scales so these were placed under a jacked up corner of the car the weight noted and repeated for the other corners. Does the total weight in any way corelate to the total weight of the car. I suspect not but would be interested to hear from you.
gremlin1234

posted on 20/3/22 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
you would need to put the other wheels on blocks the same height/thickness as the scales.
John Bonnett

posted on 20/3/22 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
you would need to put the other wheels on blocks the same height/thickness as the scales.

Yes that makes sense to ensure the suspension is compressed equally. Thank you.

gremlin1234

posted on 20/3/22 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
also I suggest when weighing it, you do it with and without driver, and maybe again with and without a passenger.
nick205

posted on 20/3/22 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Can't answer your question, but if the car's roadworthy you can take it to a public weigh bridge. They're calibrated so will be pretty accurate.
John Bonnett

posted on 20/3/22 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Can't answer your question, but if the car's roadworthy you can take it to a public weigh bridge. They're calibrated so will be pretty accurate.

We're still two years away Nick from getting anywhere near ready for the road. With the body now fitted to the chassis, I'm interested in the weight for two reasons. One is to make sure the fixtures for the rotisserie are up to the job and, two, to get an idea of what the final weight might be. My target is 800kg and anything under that and I'll be pleased. The engine isn't very torquey and doesn't put out a lot of power so if I want a car that feels nimble and lively I cannot afford for it to be heavy.

I've just been looking back at photos of the project and it is disappointing that I haven't made any progress on the panelling since September last year despite working on it pretty much every day. But having checked the dates, I can see that I've spent five months working on the interior. First, the gearbox cover, filling in the footwells and incorporating a left foot rest for the driver. The dashboard took a whopping three months but it is now ready for covering.

These photos give a narrative of progress and how time flies.

[Edited on 20/3/22 by John Bonnett]

roadrunner

posted on 21/3/22 at 07:11 AM Reply With Quote
In answer to your question, yes. Just add up the 4

But if you don't equal the wheel height you will be placing extra pressure on the wheel under the scales.

[Edited on 22/3/22 by roadrunner]

JAG

posted on 21/3/22 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with the Roadrunner.

Adding all four individual weights together will tell you the total weight of the car.

But I think putting blocks under the other three wheels while you weigh the fourth wheel is a waste of time.

By the way - loving the design of your cars interior. Nice work on the Aluminium panels and it looks very cool

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

nick205

posted on 21/3/22 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John Bonnett
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

We're still two years away Nick from getting anywhere near ready for the road. With the body now fitted to the chassis, I'm interested in the weight for two reasons. One is to make sure the fixtures for the rotisserie are up to the job and, two, to get an idea of what the final weight might be. My target is 800kg and anything under that and I'll be pleased. The engine isn't very torquey and doesn't put out a lot of power so if I want a car that feels nimble and lively I cannot afford for it to be heavy.

I've just been looking back at photos of the project and it is disappointing that I haven't made any progress on the panelling since September last year despite working on it pretty much every day. But having checked the dates, I can see that I've spent five months working on the interior. First, the gearbox cover, filling in the footwells and incorporating a left foot rest for the driver. The dashboard took a whopping three months but it is now ready for covering.

These photos give a narrative of progress and how time flies.

Noted.

Massively impressive work BTW.

I gave that example as it's how I weighed my MK Indy after getting it on the road. From memory it cost me about £8 to use the public weigh bridge. I think most scrap metal dealers have a weigh bridge as well as they weigh cars in / out to get a value when paople take scrap metal there.

Keep at the project and please keep us updated with progess pictures!

John Bonnett

posted on 21/3/22 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
In answer to your question, yes. Just add up the 4 weights to obtain total weight. with matching blocks same height as your scales.
Adding up the diagonal weights helps with the suspension set up.

Thank you all for your replies. With the engine, gearbox, wheels and the body frame in place the current weight is a smidgeon under 500kg so that is very encouraging.

Thank you Nick for your kind words. I will keep you posted.

Kind regards

John

crimondbanger

posted on 21/3/22 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
Take a note of the 4 corner weights ( after u have leveled the other 3 corners for each weight). If you then add up the diagonal opposite weights and divide it by the total weight of the car it gives you the cross weight. This is the way most race cars have there adjustable coilover spring collars set up. Cross weight should be 50% across the diagonals , otherwise you will get the weird effect of under steer in one direction and oversteer in the other direction.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.