Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel sender and fuel gauge don't match
Northy

posted on 21/5/24 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel sender and fuel gauge don't match

Hi all,

My fuel sender has never matched my fuel gauge, it works backwards and not over the full range
I'd rather not change either of them if I can, is there anything clever that I can put between them to make them work together?

Thanks,

G

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 21/5/24 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
gauge magic sometimes sold on ebay. If you google Andrew Reville you used to be able to find all the details to make it yourself.
rusty nuts

posted on 21/5/24 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel gauge wizard
Northy

posted on 21/5/24 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Great stuff, thanks. I think I've found al the details.
Has anyone in here built one? The guy seems to have gone quiet for a while.

G

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR

posted on 21/5/24 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
He's active on the caterham forums. This isn't his key focus on life.
Northy

posted on 21/5/24 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
He's active on the caterham forums. This isn't his key focus on life.

Ah, thanks. Does he still answer questions at all?

G

Graham

nick205

posted on 21/5/24 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
I know your pain Northy.

When I built my MK Indy I used the Ford Sierra fuel level sender with an ETB fuel gauge. It worked, but

Full tank = Full gauge

Empty tank = Half gauge

Fine if you knew how it worked, but always a niggle I wanted to correct.

Northy

posted on 22/5/24 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I know your pain Northy.

When I built my MK Indy I used the Ford Sierra fuel level sender with an ETB fuel gauge. It worked, but

Full tank = Full gauge

Empty tank = Half gauge

I might look at building one if you're interested. I need to read into it more when I get more time.

G

Graham

nick205

posted on 23/5/24 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Northy
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I know your pain Northy.

Full tank = Full gauge

Empty tank = Half gauge

I might look at building one if you're interested. I need to read into it more when I get more time.

G

Appreciate the offer, but I sold the Indy a long time ago (multiple kids and the need for different transport). I was OK seeing it go, but eldest son (6 at the time wasn't).

Schrodinger

posted on 23/5/24 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Can the sender float be adjusted?
I have an ETB sender which has the float on the end of a long wire lever, iirc you can remount the float so that it works 180 deg from normal if that makes sense.

Keith
Aviemore

Northy

posted on 24/5/24 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
Can the sender float be adjusted?
I have an ETB sender which has the float on the end of a long wire lever, iirc you can remount the float so that it works 180 deg from normal if that makes sense.

Mines a tube type sender, can't remember the proper name. I had to use that as the tank is baffled.

G

Graham

Mr Whippy

posted on 24/5/24 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi all,

My fuel works backwards

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Replicar328

posted on 29/5/24 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a look at the "gauge magic" download and it looks like an Arduino based device which I'd argue is a bit overkill for a fuel gauge which is a fairly simple device.

Essentially, the "sender" is a variable resistance which simply alters the current flowing through the meter. If you are able to measure the resistance of the sender when the tank is full and when it is empty and to use a potentiometer in place of the sender to test what resistances show full and empty on the gauge then I can sketch you a schematic of an analogue circuit which should do the trick.

But I don't know how to post pictures on this forum?

Schrodinger

posted on 29/5/24 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
What makes are your sender and gauge?

[Edited on 29-5-24 by Schrodinger]

Keith
Aviemore

scudderfish

posted on 30/5/24 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Replicar328
I've had a look at the "gauge magic" download and it looks like an Arduino based device which I'd argue is a bit overkill for a fuel gauge which is a fairly simple device.

Essentially, the "sender" is a variable resistance which simply alters the current flowing through the meter. If you are able to measure the resistance of the sender when the tank is full and when it is empty and to use a potentiometer in place of the sender to test what resistances show full and empty on the gauge then I can sketch you a schematic of an analogue circuit which should do the trick.

But I don't know how to post pictures on this forum?

I was planning on doing something similar with an ESP32 so I could wifi enable my fuel gauge

Replicar328

posted on 30/5/24 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schrodinger
What makes are your sender and gauge?

[Edited on 29-5-24 by Schrodinger]

Good question. I've googled typical sender resistance ranges and there are a host of different values. Typically the EU uses the VDO standard of 0 to 180 ohms and the USA 30 to 240 ohms but that is in no way universal and low to high resistance can be empty to full and vice versa. Out of interest I think I'll build an analog circuit to invert the direction and change the scale but I also stumbled across https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/404392578717 which seems like a quick and easy solution.

Northy

posted on 4/6/24 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
My gauges are CAI units, bt don't seem to be available these days? Are they no more?

G

Graham

Schrodinger

posted on 4/6/24 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Do you know what the resistance is at full/empty? ETB do make tube sensors and may be able to make one for you.

Keith
Aviemore

SteveWalker

posted on 4/6/24 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
My gauges are CAI units, bt don't seem to be available these days? Are they no more?

CAI is Caerbont Automotive Instruments. They are still around and are the manufacturers of Smiths gauges.

Northy

posted on 13/6/24 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
Do they still make individual gauges? I can't see any for sale like mine.

G

[Edited on 13/6/24 by Northy]

Graham

MikeR

posted on 13/6/24 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
They still respond to requests for technical advice - i've had responses the next morning to my questions.
Northy

posted on 13/6/24 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I'll eventually get in touch with them about mine.

G

Graham

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.