Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: LED Indicators / relay - not working, anything I don't know?
trevw

posted on 13/6/24 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
LED Indicators / relay - not working, anything I don't know?

Hi,

I've converted to led lights as part of a rebuild - I bought an led flasher relay to go with my newfront and rear indicators (no repeater yet).. however I am still seeing the indicators only coming on and staying on with the hazards switch and no response with the indicator stalk..

I've got a bunch more investigation to do when I get the car back (having an exhaust made currently) but I wanted to check if the below items should work together or if there's something I don't know? I think resistors can be used instead of a special relay when converting, are the led resistances are relevant if you do go for a dedicated led relay?

Could it be something to do with the dashboard lamps if they are in series with the indicators as they are normal bulbs..? In which case do I need the three pin relay with a separate take off for them?

Flasher relay: https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/red-2-pin-led-flasher-relay

Front indicators: https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/chrome-miniature-amber-stalk-indicators-26mm

https://www.bowerspartsonline.co.uk/lighting/rear-lighting/led-rear-combination-lights/55mm-round-inner-led-clear-rear-stoptail-light-for-98mm-combina ble-lights-lamps

Thanks!

Trevor

padrc66

posted on 13/6/24 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
i found that i still had to put resistors in series with the front indicators and side repeaters to get them to work reliably, even with an LED relay. i used 2W 100 ohm resistors that i happened to already have - they've stayed working for 5 years so far.
trevw

posted on 13/6/24 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
padrc66, thanks! Will try that, no issues with the rears?
SteveWalker

posted on 13/6/24 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
I tried resistors and I tried an LED indicator relay without resistors - the latter was just within the high end of the allowable flash rate, but still felt far too fast. In the end, I bought an indicator relay that had an adjustable potentiometer built in (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CGZ3D9CD), ran without resistors and turned it to just the speed I wanted.

I was a bit dubious due to the bad English on the relay, but it does function as intended.

trevw

posted on 13/6/24 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting! Will take a look and might give those a try..
padrc66

posted on 13/6/24 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trevw
padrc66, thanks! Will try that, no issues with the rears?

it just needed a bit more load - doesn't matter where as they are all connected together. i tried just in the side repeaters first and then added to the fronts later to get it to be reliable.

i've changed to one of these now so probably don't need the resistors, motogadget mo.unit: mo unit blue

brilliant bit of kit that replaces most of the relays and fuses, allows keyless go, gives indicator cancelling and allows momentary push buttons to control ignition, lights, indicators, etc

trevw

posted on 17/6/24 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting piece of kit.. am nearly all re-wired now, but will bear that in mind for the future.. though I don't understand how it works! :-)
jacko

posted on 17/6/24 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I believe in the old days people put a 21w bulb in the line for your problem

[Edited on 17/6/24 by jacko]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.