Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: G3 Compound liquid
bigbriglasgow

posted on 16/3/05 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
G3 Compound liquid

Hi All

Bought some of this g3 compound liquid and a new sponge for the polishing /compound buff that i have borrowed from my pal. anyone got any experience of using this on the alloy panels along the side? Want to bring them up nice!

Thanks in advance

Brian

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/3/05 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
With a polishing mop, you will get a mirror finish in minutes, the head will be ruined for anything else though, black as a black thing!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Stu16v

posted on 16/3/05 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Been there - tried that...

Didn't find it very effective TBH. I found that the compound would tend to immediately 'dry out' almost as soon as it was used. A little water helped slightly, but the main problem was using the mop itself. Even with little/no pressure, the compound would dry out with the heat build up- probably because of the speed of the mop. This also meant that the mop clogged up quickly too. Using the compound by hand was fine - but hard work...

According to what condition your panels are presently in, the best/easiest way I have found to get a good finish is the use of a cheap electric polisher from Argos, used with Autosol. It ossilates (sp?) rather than spins, and generates far less heat. Do not apply to much polish, and wipe the remaining residue off with a yellow household duster dipped in flour.

The more you do it, the better it will get too...

HTH Stu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Simon

posted on 16/3/05 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
The mop should be wet - it says so in the instructions on the back

ATB

Simon

NS Dev

posted on 17/3/05 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, but I know what Stu is saying. Even on paintwork, it can be very difficult to keep it wet enough to stop it going tacky, unless you have a very slow speed polisher. I use a mop on my random orbital sander set to a low speed but it still tacks up, especially in the summer. It's not so bad if you have a little pump spray (a 99p from Focus DIY jobbie) and keep spraying water on ahead of yourself.

Just to add though, I still haven't found anything better than G3, it is excellent stuff!!!!!

[Edited on 17/3/05 by NS Dev]

Mark Allanson

posted on 17/3/05 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like you are using a grinder with a mop head attached. A purpose made polishing mop is slow enough to do the job without any burning or premature drying out

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Stu16v

posted on 17/3/05 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I was definately using the right thing Mark (my father owned his own bodyshop for 35 years...).

Simon, the mop shouldn't be used wet, it should be damp. Two different things, especially if you dont want polish residue flung everywhere...

I really have tired all sorts of combinations of polish, compounds, and equipment, with the sole aim of trying to get the best finish, with as little effort as possible. The ay I mentioned above has worked best so far...
One thing is certain, quite a bit of effort is required, whatever option is picked.

It does take a lot of upkeep, and I still have thoughts of painting it, but it does look really well when I can be arsed! A little piccy for inspiration to all you ali polishers...

Track Action @ Curborough
Track Action @ Curborough

When I see it shining like that (rare!) I know the hard work is worth it...
HTH Stu.

splitrivet

posted on 17/3/05 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with you Stu,I even bought a polishing machine especially for the job,complete waste of time,tried a yellow blue and white compound head none of em did the trick.

Found the best bet was solvol then duraglit by hand,wear latex gloves though your hands are black for ages after.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Triton

posted on 19/3/05 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Best way to polish ali is with a polish head in a drill (bench grinder is better as you can really lean on the thing).....then with different grades of what can only be described as "wierd soap" you will get a shine like bog all else..........G3 G6 etc is ok on paint and gel coat but due to needing water it makes a right bloody mess when trying to buff up ali......
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 19/3/05 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I have tried that too, and for large panels made of sheet ali, that is no good either - whilst it does give an amazing shine, it tends to be patchy in appearance (caused by using a small 'pad' on a large surface), and it is very easy to burn the ali too, very little pressure can be applied to thin panels. But if you want to polish a rocker cover up, I agree fully...

David Jenkins

posted on 24/3/05 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll
Another one for inspiration, All done by hand for me though using either Autosol or Peek but always with the removing cloth dipped in flour

I didn't believe all this flour mularky - until I tried it for myself today! In the past, the polishing bit was OK, but getting it all off again was a PITA... the cloth always came up black and the finish was poor. Today, I finished off with a clean cloth and flour, and got a good shine and all residue removed. This took half the time it took previously.

I'm impressed... thanks to all who gave the tip over and over and over... I do listen occasionally.

David

Stu16v

posted on 24/3/05 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
I thank you...

Peteff

posted on 25/3/05 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
I actually prefer dull aluminium. It saves lots of time and effort. Flour is for making bread, cakes and scones.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Stu16v

posted on 25/3/05 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
Me too Pete. Driving, and eating cakes is much more fun than polishing...

indykid

posted on 25/3/05 at 02:15 AM Reply With Quote
it's the uniform dullness that's a PITA

that's why i ended up polishing my gear lever trim ring i made.GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

everything else is brushed!
tom

[Edited on 25/3/05 by indykid] Rescued attachment ring.jpg
Rescued attachment ring.jpg

NS Dev

posted on 25/3/05 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stu16v
Me too Pete. Driving, and eating cakes is much more fun than polishing...

Homer Simpson time........................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm driving fast, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm eating cakes, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.