Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I've scratched my gelcoat!
blockhead_rich

posted on 20/4/05 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I've scratched my gelcoat!

Hi folks,

I've gone a dropped a big B*****K and scratched my gelcoat. Any one got any tips how I can repair the damage?
Cheers
Rich

Mark Allanson

posted on 20/4/05 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
How deep? If the scratch is still in the gelcoat and has not gone down to the mat, you can flat it out with 1000 grit followed by 2000 and the G3 to restore the gloss. If down to the mat, its a damage limitation exercise, I would touch it in with clear catalysed resin or activated clearcoat, allow to cure and the flat out as per the shallow scratch.

When flatting down, make sure you dont produce a flat spot which will be noticable in the gel

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Humbug

posted on 20/4/05 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Depending on the size of the damage, you could try mixing some paint of suitable colour into Araldite and carefully filling in
Triton

posted on 21/4/05 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
I see you have a Luego?...See if they can get you some pigmented gel coat same colour and a splash of catalyst...use it like filler....scratch needs to be ground out more then cleaned so gel will stick and left overnight....rub it down with wet n dry going thru grades till all marks removed then shine it up with G6/G3 or T Cut.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 21/4/05 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine with a lomax was supplied with a small pot of uncatalaysed gel coat left over from making the body shell so it is an exact colour match.
Perhaps more companies should do this, or you could ask when buying your kit.
Doesn't help you though, sorry.

Hellfire

posted on 21/4/05 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Cover it with a 'maxpower' sticker or paint 'oops' right next to it......................

Seriously though, whereabouts is it?

bigandy

posted on 21/4/05 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blockhead_rich
Hi folks,

I've gone a dropped a big B*****K and scratched my gelcoat. Any one got any tips how I can repair the damage?
Cheers
Rich

It must have been a well sharpened B*****K!

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but is there any way to cover up/touch up gelcoat that has cracked where it has been cut back a little to viciously too?

Or perhaps something that can be applied to stop further cracking of gelcoat around a chipped area at the edge of a panel?

I'm guessing it will be fairly similar to touching up a scratch?

Cheers
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

dave dickson

posted on 21/4/05 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
to stop cracks spreading, drill a small (2mm ish?)hole over the end of the crack. You can either leave it as is, or fill and repair it as above. Dont try to repair any crack without drilling the ends first or there is a good chance it will re-appear later.
RazMan

posted on 26/4/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
The manufacturer should be able to supply some uncatalysed gel coat - failing that he should give you the RAL number of the colour used in the gelcoat so you can get some made up.
I will soon be putting this method to the test as I am cutting and grafting my bodyshell to accomodate some (top secret ) design features.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.