Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sump Guard ????
ditchlewis

posted on 4/10/05 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Sump Guard ????

I have an Mk Indy, currently I have about 3 inches of ground clearance under the sump.

Have others fitted a sump guard?

Does anyone else think that a Sump guard is necessary?

I am planning the wind up the ride height at the front using the adustable coil overs, so is a sump guard belt and braces?

Ditch

Fozzie

posted on 4/10/05 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Yes I have fitted a sump guard!
The reason being that around here, the speed humps are everywhere, and some much 'higher' than most! There is only one route I can take from my house without meeting any, and that is in the opposite direction of which I want to go
It has saved my sump on a few occasions. If 'high' speed humps/cushions are not an issue where you live, then IMHO its not that essential to fit one.
HTH Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Hellfire

posted on 4/10/05 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Why not fasten your front number plate so that it is at the same height as your sump - that way you only knacker your number plate?

Or you could hinge the number plate so that it makes an electrical circuit when it hits an obstacle and sounds an alarm to alert you. Shouldn't be too difficult.

VinceGledhill

posted on 4/10/05 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds to me that you are Mr Pat pending hellfire

Regards
Vince Gledhill
Time Served Auto Electrician
Lucas Leeds 1979-1983

David Jenkins

posted on 4/10/05 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ahem...

NS Dev

posted on 4/10/05 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I certainly plan to fit a guard to mine. I have around 3" of clearance under the sump as well on my Vauxhall XE engine, and would ideally like to do some of this sort of thing with it>>>>>>>>

[img][/img]

Fozzie

posted on 16/10/05 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Well, returning back from a very pleasant mini-meet at Walton Mountain, I went for a drive along the river road toward Weybridge. A narrow road, cars in front, right in front of me in the road, a lump of wood, tin top in front, obviously went over it no problem! No where to 'go', car coming other way, car behind me, I couldn't avoid it........Got home, nice dent in the sump shield, but hey! my sump is fine. If the shield had not been there, I dread to think what the outcome would have been.
My top tip?....fit one.........
Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

indykid

posted on 16/10/05 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
I certainly plan to fit a guard to mine. I have around 3" of clearance under the sump as well on my Vauxhall XE engine, and would ideally like to do some of this sort of thing with it>>>>>>>>

rally westy
rally westy

i managed something very similar to this in the dales today. being chased by an rs6 and completely misjudged the fall off after a hump, and got a good inch and a bit of air, on the front at least

the only thing is when i landed, it grounded the bell housing on a raised bit in the middle of the road, pushing the gearbox up, and popped the front of the transmission tunnel top out absolutely poo myself at the time, but it doesn't half seem fun now!

there are some cracking roads round baildon
tom

Simon

posted on 16/10/05 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, can't see why you'd want a sump guard on this?

ATB

Simon Rescued attachment sump guard.jpg
Rescued attachment sump guard.jpg

Hellfire

posted on 17/10/05 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote

zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 17/10/05 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
did he follow uncle rons book to the later!
NS Dev

posted on 20/10/05 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
looks like it doesn't it!!

Seriously though, I am hoping to use my seven for some night rallying around here. I think I should be able to get it eligible for 12 car events and the like, if not full road rallies.

Ovbiously no way can I do the rough road stuff as I only have 3" of clearance but it should still be fun.

The car in the pic is on the rally of barbados, all the extra lights are for the night stages!! I came across the pic as I was bidding on the gas discharge lights to put on mine for rallying!!

NS Dev

posted on 20/10/05 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev

rally westy
rally westy

i managed something very similar to this in the dales today. being chased by an rs6 and completely misjudged the fall off after a hump, and got a good inch and a bit of air, on the front at least

the only thing is when i landed, it grounded the bell housing on a raised bit in the middle of the road, pushing the gearbox up, and popped the front of the transmission tunnel top out absolutely poo myself at the time, but it doesn't half seem fun now!

there are some cracking roads round baildon
tom

inch and a bit!!!????

do you mean foot and a bit??

On a night rally in my old manta I "misjudged" a humpback canal bridge (could see there was nothing coming so I never backed off!!) and counted "1thousand, 2thousand, 3thousand, 4thousand,5 ooooooffffffffff"

Reckon it cleared over 2 car lengths airborne! Smashed both front bumpstops clean off the front subframe, smashed the front airdam and the engine flew so far forward on its rubbers that the sump creased on the crossmember!!!!

Finished the event ok though!

That was in my younger and less wise days!!

MikeR

posted on 20/10/05 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
remind me to NOT navigate for you. I've seen you drive in your older wiser days around the grass track!
zzrpowerd-locost

posted on 21/10/05 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
who says you cant of road in a 7??

http://www.madvideo.demon.co.uk/page21.htm

pmsl!

p.s feel sorry for the red seven owner thou, bet he had some rebuilding to do!

[Edited on 21-10-05 by zzrpowerd-locost]

NS Dev

posted on 21/10/05 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
remind me to NOT navigate for you. I've seen you drive in your older wiser days around the grass track!

Yes, I'd be that slow that it would be embarrassing to be navigator!!!

greggors84

posted on 24/10/05 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure there is a website somewhere that has loads of videos of that 7 rallying round barbados. Unless there are a few of them. I'm sure the website also sells carbon bits but cant remember the name.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.