Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Half doors
Humbug

posted on 24/1/06 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
Half doors

There have been a few posts recently about sidescreens/half doors. I really fancy the c/f ones from Fluke (if they fitted and cost considerably less than £115 each!) but I know a number of people have made their own from ali, some with quite fancy-looking curved elbow rests.

I'm not sure if I would be able to get a good looking curve and it would be a bugger to measure up, so I wondered about making doors with elbow room but all from straight pieces. I made up a model out of cardboard - what do you think?

Edit: the angle just behind the front edge is so that the edge can be flush with the scuttle (which leans in towards the top) and the main part of the door can be vertical.

I considered just having a flat door, but after sitting in the car with a piece of cardboard taped to the side of the car I think I would constantly be pushing it out with my elbow, so I think elbow room is a must.

People with doors - does the top edge hit your upper arm?

Another thought was whether any of the pre-shaped door inners from a tin top could be mounted in an ali frame to provide elbow room without the hassle of creating the curve? Might work if they were fibreglass rather than fibreboard.

[Edited on 24.01.2006 by Humbug] Rescued attachment 2006-01-22 ST half door model.JPG
Rescued attachment 2006-01-22 ST half door model.JPG

smart51

posted on 24/1/06 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
rather than aly, why not think of making some soft doors? You could use aly bar for the frame and hooding material for the sides. Air pressure would pull the cloth out when moving along and so you'd keep out the wind and rain without having flat sides and angles.
Bluemoon

posted on 24/1/06 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
You might be able to make curves, by bending a large number (may be 30) small bends... If you use enough bends you'll get a curve...
Kissy

posted on 24/1/06 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
'bout time Triton came up with a screen/door unit???
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 24/1/06 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
The cloth ones are a pain as they flap due to the air movement coming off the front wheels.
I have ideas but we are looking at a universal design that builders can trim to suit there car.

Kissy

posted on 24/1/06 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
F27s used to have vinyl sides, full height, with ally plate stiffeners stitched in. Could you use a welded ally construction (1.2mm plate?) + circa 6mm rod, all housed in sewn vinyl.
GeoffT

posted on 24/1/06 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Simon,

I've knocked up some sidescreens from alloy, mine have the curly elbow hole you mention, and to be honest it was a bit tricky and time consuming to make them this way. Your design looks pretty good, only problem may the weak point where the flat front section joins the angled out rear part, they will have a tendency to want to bend across this line. The polycarbonate sheet will support the upper edge, but you may need to add a stiffener along the lower edge.

Yes, the top edge does touch your upper arm - I haven't found this to be a problem, although a friend (who is very large..!) did comment on it. Your design looks like it should overcome this problem anyway.

Just realised your upper edge is inset, so may still contact upper arm - can you not mount the window on the line of the outer edge?

[Edited on 24/1/06 by GeoffT]

Humbug

posted on 24/1/06 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffT
Hi Simon,

I've knocked up some sidescreens from alloy, mine have the curly elbow hole you mention, and to be honest it was a bit tricky and time consuming to make them this way. Your design looks pretty good, only problem may the weak point where the flat front section joins the angled out rear part, they will have a tendency to want to bend across this line. The polycarbonate sheet will support the upper edge, but you may need to add a stiffener along the lower edge.

Yes, the top edge does touch your upper arm - I haven't found this to be a problem, although a friend (who is very large..!) did comment on it. Your design looks like it should overcome this problem anyway.

Just realised your upper edge is inset, so may still contact upper arm - can you not mount the window on the line of the outer edge?

[Edited on 24/1/06 by GeoffT]

Geoff - I know you have done it, as you emailed me some info when I was thinking about doors before.

I was thinking about not having any windows, as I only have a mini screen. Potentially I could put some on at a later date if necessary.

Re the upper edge bashing your arm - I did also think about not having the upper "inset", so it doesn't hit, but I thought that might look a bit odd, as well as lose some strength.

I could move the start of the angled part right to the front, to minimise the tendency for the door to fold.

GeoffT

posted on 24/1/06 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Geoff - I know you have done it, as you emailed me some info when I was thinking about doors before

Ah! .....glad to see my three second memory's still working well....

Marcus

posted on 25/1/06 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Soft doors don't flap too much if they're stretched a bit. These were made for French trip, did 2500 miles with them - best thing I've made!!

Roof
Roof

Marcus

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
madman280

posted on 26/1/06 at 02:35 AM Reply With Quote
DAMN! is that a kitchen sink I see just above the rear number plate?..that is definatly the most I've seen pack on a seven.
I like the top and doors. Did they keep most of the rain out? how about heat in?:

Marcus

posted on 26/1/06 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, kept most of the rain out, definitely cut down the buffeting, so a bit warmer - still no winter car though

Car was even more full after duty free on the way home!

Marcus

Marcus

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Phil. S

posted on 26/1/06 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Could you do wheelies with it loaded like that?

"The unexamined life is not worth living" (Socrates)
"The unlived life is not worth examining" (Kopp)

Marcus

posted on 27/1/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Not quite doing wheelies, but I could only just lift the suitcase!

Had a trial run with the boot rack, picked a type 9 gearbox up on it from Manchester, so was confident taking the load on the tow bar bracket.

Marcus

Marcus

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.