Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Broadband?
coozer

posted on 19/7/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Broadband?

General poll on broadband providers. Who do you use, satisfied, good, crap etc.
Just asking as Im using Onetel at the moment and seriously considering the Sky offer...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

stevec

posted on 19/7/06 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
NTL.
Got the phoneTV and 10 meg broadband.
For me they are a lot better than they used to be but there email is crap so I use MSN for that.
Steve.

coozer

posted on 19/7/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm, the chosen few who have cable... we have no chance of cable here, still campaigning for electric... LOL

Git big glasses for our beer though.....

[Edited on 19/7/06 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

need4speed

posted on 19/7/06 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've got BTinternet no problems, have heard that the Sky offer has a small download limit then you pay more for the extra download limits.
alister667

posted on 19/7/06 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Metronet, service is quite good, but they introduced download limits recently - 8Gb per month and it's a royal pain. For £27 per month I wouldn't recommend it.
Looking at Sky (I have a dish) the 40Gb per month at 8Mb speed is £5 per month I might well go for that soon. Unlimited is only £10 a month with free connection, looks promising.

SKY INFO HERE

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JoelP

posted on 19/7/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
bt has been largely trouble free for me, i dont recall it not working at all.
caber

posted on 19/7/06 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
I have Toucan at home about £30 per month for 1 meg broadband and free UK calls, still have to pay BT for line rental though.

Caber

I love speed :-P

posted on 19/7/06 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alister667

Looking at Sky (I have a dish) the 40Gb per month at 8Mb speed is £5 per month I might well go for that soon. Unlimited is only £10 a month with free connection, looks promising.

SKY INFO HERE

Me 2, we had a letter from them this morrning

Phil M

[Edited on 19/7/2006 by I love speed :-P]

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 19/7/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Talktalk is quite good - £30 pm for 8Mb broadband (40Gb download limit) & free UK & international calls

[Edited on 20-7-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Confused but excited.

posted on 19/7/06 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Onetel, £19.99 p/m for 2M unlimited and technical helpline calls at normal landline rates, no £1 per min robbery. And they answer the phone almost immediately.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

joneh

posted on 19/7/06 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
If you phone NTL and say you've had a talk talk quote, they'll beat it. £37pm for TV BB and phone

IainB
Builder

Posts 236
Registered 17/11/05
Location Glasgow

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Fiat X1/9 - GRP widebody, Bike carbs, Megajolt

posted on 19/7/06 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
DONT GO ANYWHERE NEAR TISCALI!!

Iain

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/IainB1986/

Chippy

posted on 19/7/06 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
AOL, had no problems with it, no limits on downloads. Looked into the Sky offer, but we are outside there "Free" area, so can only get Connect, which at £17 pm and a 40gb download limit. SO staying with AOL at this time. ATB Ray.

[Edited on 19-7-06 by Chippy]

matt.c

posted on 19/7/06 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Just signed up with BT broadband myself.

Hope there ok?

Hellfire

posted on 20/7/06 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IainB
DONT GO ANYWHERE NEAR TISCALI!!

Iain

Me and my brother use TISCALI with no problems. £17.99 for no cap and 2Mb speed. Easy provider and speeds (for me) are consistantly in the 1.8Mbps... Phil's is slower but he's further away from the exchange, which you would expect.

Steve

Phil.J

posted on 20/7/06 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
I useTiscali too with no problems. £19 pcm with free national calls. Much faster than my University system.
I had a letter from Sky yesterday about their new broadband system. It would cost me £17.99 pcm plus installation cost and no calls.

Mike R-F

posted on 20/7/06 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I'm on Tiscali too & until recently, no problems. But in the past month or so they have been a right royal pain in the ass. So much so, that I'm now seriously considering the Sky offe. Tiscalis help line is pants too! I'd go on quality of service now rather than cost
gingerprince

posted on 20/7/06 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
I'm on NTL at the moment (4Mb), paying 25 quid for broadband plus about a tenner for the NTL phone (I don't have NTL TV so phone isn't free).

I am however quite tempted by the Sky offer. Instead of £35 for 4Mb broadband and phone I could pay £20 for 16Mb broadbeans and BT phone (11 quid phone 10 quid BB).

However at the moment I do get 4Mb with cable. With ADSL it's a case of buy your line then cross your fingers you're close enough to the exchange to get a decent speed!

Brooky

posted on 20/7/06 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I looked at the sky one and my address didnt qualify for the £10 unlimited broad beans. Probably a within the M25 thing. Can anyone confirm this ?
irvined

posted on 20/7/06 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
ADSL: You can do far worse than eclipse, or blackcatnetworks, more so if you want a bit more flexibility, if you just want to download pictures of cars and browse the net, then BT, Virgin and Plustnet come highly rated.

http://irvined.blogspot.com

Rob Palin

posted on 20/7/06 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
Just signed up with BT broadband myself.

Hope there ok?

I was with BTYahoo for 2 years and had no real problems with the broadband but dealing with their 'customer service' was agonising. Once it took 9 separate phone calls to get through to a person who could offer technical help. Once i had to explain to a foreign lady who struggled with English what the internet actually was. Finally when i called up to cancel it took 30 minutes to go through all the questions and even then they 'lost' my cancellation request and insisted upon charging me for another month while they processed my second request.

I changed to Madasafish broadband and got 4x the speed for 1/2 the money.

Nowadays i wouldn't give BT a penny if i could help it.

coozer

posted on 20/7/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked my number on the BT website and they say I can have 5.5mb max due to me being more than 10 feet from the exchange. Then it might be less depending on how long my extension is in the house!

How can SKY offer 16mb? Is there some new technology coming along or something. I see they mention 'rolling out sky equippment in exchanges' but no one else is offering 16mb.

Any ideas??

[Edited on 20/7/06 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

martyn_16v

posted on 21/7/06 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by irvined
Plustnet come highly rated.

By who exactly? People who have never actually had to deal with them, ever? PlusNet are losing customers left right and centre, their customer service is utterly appaling and worsening at a time when more people actually need to use it (the max rollout is causing problems for pretty much all isp's tho).

Go with PlusNet if you want an ISP that like to change your service at a whim without bothering to tell you, or giving you the chance to object, who refuse to refund you or let you leave a contract they have changed when you do finally find out, who lie about having made changes that cause not only the service they were aimed at but everyone else's to fail, who are increasingly un-contactable and un-helpful, who blame all of their problems on you the user and these days simply don't seem to care about keeping customers contented.

Can you tell who i'm waiting to leave?

Has anyone found out what Sky's 'fair usage policy' for the max package is, I can't find it in their T's & C's anywhere. I'd like to have a good dig through it, i'm very wary of these policies due to the farce that a certain other ISP has made of the whole thing, might just plump for the mid package instead, at least it's clearly defined. Sky does look like a very good offer, I do worry it will go a bit pear shaped like some of the other recent similar products though.

David Jenkins

posted on 21/7/06 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hmm... strange... I've been with PlusNet for a while and haven't had many problems (although their mail server's been in bad shape over the past few days).

We shall see...

David

P.S. I should add that in the past I have absolutely cr@p service from BT and Virgin! I'm sure luck plays a big part in people's experiences with ISPs.

[Edited on 21/7/06 by David Jenkins]

Krismc

posted on 21/7/06 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I pay £12.99 a month for 4mb unlimited downloads etc from tiscali.co.uk had it since november and not a single problem!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.