Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: GSXR 600 Throttle bodies
prelude1980

posted on 10/12/06 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
GSXR 600 Throttle bodies

whats the going rate for the throttle bodies? I want to use them on a 2L blacktop, unless any one has another suggestion.
stevebubs

posted on 10/12/06 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
ok for a standard engine but if you want to tune it, 600s will probably become restrictive

[Edited on 10/12/06 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 10/12/06 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
*Yawn Calviwhatsit starts being petulant. Should really rise above it but can't be @rsed*

quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
ok for a standard engine but if you want to tune it, 600s will probably become restrictive

Can I ask why or how you come to your conclusion above ?

General rule of thumb based on more than one source of information

quote:

Also can I ask if you have read the book on engine management by *Dave Walker* ?

Yes. Several times. Can I ask if you have read anything else?

Off topic:

Calvilinx: For some-one pretty knowledgable, and generally helpful, you really can be quite abrasive. Without due care, your (often constructive) replies can be easily be read in an agressive fashion even if not meant that way. Would perhaps suggest you take a break from mastering EFi and start mastering the nuances of the English language.

wilkingj

posted on 10/12/06 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought the venturi size was more important than what bike it came off.

Interestingly on my 3.5L rover V8, 38mm chokes off a Honda CBR600 are just fine, except the manifolds are £600 a pair..

Also the internal dimension of 46mm Ally Scaffold pole is almost perfect for 38mm Venturi's if you are making your own manifold.

Remember that a Car Carb Venturi will flow less that a Bike Throttle body of the same diameter. ie there are no webs and jet protusions in the throttle body, which lessen the through put of the car carb in relative terms.

Long term I am going Megasquirt (already built) and 8 x throttle bodies on a home made manifold (my mosy difficult bit to do)

All good fun eh?

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
prelude1980

posted on 10/12/06 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
calm down lads,

Basically i was going to use the engine in standard form until i got thru the sva then maybe then start messing around with fast road cams and the like.

With the bike throttle bodies there seems to be such a large selection, i was just wondering if there is a prefered one.

stevebubs

posted on 10/12/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
I would have thought the venturi size was more important than what bike it came off.

[snip]

All good fun eh?

Agreed (on both the above).

When I started my install, I had a set of 600s and a set of 750s

600s were 42mm tapering to 38mm id
750s were 48mm tapering to 42mm id.

After much hunting around and reading, I realised both would be suitable for my standard 2.0 zetec, but if I decided to go overboard on tweaking the engine then the 750s would give me more scope.

Conversely, 600s would provide more drivability on a standard engine but limit the scope of future "tweaking"

HTH

Stephen

stevebubs

posted on 10/12/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by prelude1980
calm down lads,

takes a lot more than that to get me riled - Calv's responses are normally (now) well intentioned

quote:

Basically i was going to use the engine in standard form until i got thru the sva then maybe then start messing around with fast road cams and the like.

With the bike throttle bodies there seems to be such a large selection, i was just wondering if there is a prefered one.

Not really a preferred selection - Gixxer 750/1000 bodies are often used due to previous experience and the fact they can be respaced to fit a DCOE manifold. All others are also worth considering - GPZs have also been a popular choice in the past.

At the end of the day, look to see what is available. If you're happy getting your own manifold made up then the whole EFI bike world is your oyster - decide on the diameter you need, identify which bikes fit your need and wait around for a set to come up at the right price.

stevebubs

posted on 10/12/06 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
So...are you going to actually contribute anything useful to this thread?

quote:
Abrasive, if a question a simple as that makes you, anyone even the pope squirm, then it might be reaching the spot a little closer than the initial poster would like, you obviously took a totally simple question and wound your own colon right up....... to such a point you could make pretty patterns with your skat......

(EDIT1)

Oh as for mastering the English language I'm NO Fecking Englishman, and usually i have NO need to hide anything behind a nuance, if i meant to say something i will namely from your reply i think your a dick...

(EDIT2)

Also instead of atcually answering a perfectly valid question YOU saw the need to go on a full attack, the symptoms of some-one with a guilt complex.....

[Edited on 10/12/06 by CaLviNx]

gazza285

posted on 10/12/06 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Roll on devolution.

[Edited on 11/12/06 by gazza285]

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gazza285

posted on 11/12/06 at 03:30 AM Reply With Quote
Just to be pedantic (and factually correct), throttle bodies don't have a venturi.......

And the correct answer to the original question was?

GSXR 600 throttle bodies will be "ok for a standard engine but if you want to tune it, 600s will probably become restrictive".

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think your a dick...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I ask why or how you come to your conclusion above ?

Also can I ask if you have read the book How to Win Friends and Influence People by *Dale Carnegie*?

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

NS Dev

posted on 11/12/06 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Gazza your responses never cease to amuse!!!

As for throttle body bores.....who knows?

Dave Walker, writer of "said book" ran a Vauxhall XE16v engine up at QED some years ago with numerous different sets of bodies on it, and 45mm vs 48mm showed little difference, other than some reduction of lowdown torque with the 48's.

my own experience shows similar, I have 45mm jenvey sf's on the locost, and had 48mm jenvey twins on my grasser.

48's were prob a tad big, that's with 200hp.

I'd say around 40mm ballpark will be what you are looking for on a 2ltr std engine that may be mildly tuned in the future.

bit bigger than that if you are doing more tuning and nudging towards 200hp

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

MikeRJ

posted on 11/12/06 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gazza285
Also can I ask if you have read the book How to Win Friends and Influence People by *Dale Carnegie*?

I know this is spam, but thanks for brightening up an otherwise grotty morning

Peteff

posted on 11/12/06 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
My Bro in law is Scottish

and he's a nice chap but to get back to the topic, would a set of 600 throttle bodies work on a 1.8 zetec, not planning anything like cam changes etc ? Whichever bike they came off they would probably be made by similar suppliers as with brakes, they don't make all their own parts.

[Edited on 11/12/06 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Marcus

posted on 11/12/06 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
That's what I'm using on a 1700 crossflow (600s), so I would say they would be ideal on an 1800.

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

tks

posted on 11/12/06 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
yeah...

I´m in to!

CaLviNx AK[MY Car MY Way]
YOU are going way to fast slow down a bit or you will be fined for speeding in the pitlane

No i mean even if he (or she??) was a dick who cares? we are here to help each other right? Looks some times that you are here for different reasons one of them COULD be to show what you know...

and just let that be a sign of some complex...

Did you read the book "How to behave to not become ignored?" by * Locost Builders & Co *

you know i´m not serious you know?

BUT YOU DO GET THE POINT DONT YA??

Tks

[Edited on 11/12/06 by tks]

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Peteff

posted on 11/12/06 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Calm down now

McGlashan

Watch a nice video clip and breathe deeply.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DEAN C.

posted on 13/12/06 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
Just read this topic and laughed my nuts off!!

Cheers guys!!

Calling someone a dick is quite friendly really.

PPS.I have some GSXR 750 TB's to go on my 1600 4age,does that mean i'm wrong or just a Big Dick?

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

IainB
Builder

Posts 236
Registered 17/11/05
Location Glasgow

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Fiat X1/9 - GRP widebody, Bike carbs, Megajolt

posted on 13/12/06 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
<Team America> "See, there are three kinds of people: Dicks, Pussies and Assholes.

Pussies think everyone can get along and dicks just wanna fu*k all the time without thinking it through.

But then you got your assholes, and all the assholes want is to poo all over everything.

So pussies may get mad at dicks once in a while because pussies get fu*ked by dicks, but dicks also fu*k assholes.

And if they didn’t fu*k the assholes, you know what you’d get? You’d get your dick and your pussy all covered in shit." </Team America>

Iain

[Edited on 13/12/06 by IainB]

EDIT:
Why is it the 1st Sh*t has been censored but the one at the end hasnt?!

[Edited on 13/12/06 by IainB]

http://s43.photobucket.com/albums/e365/IainB1986/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.