Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wing stays once more...
02GF74

posted on 11/12/06 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
wing stays once more...

on my third iteration - the previous version was too wobbly.

the latest is using 4 x 20 mm bar; doubled up vertically and seems rigid enough.

The rear stay is fitted so it rests on the caliper - does not impede its operation so don't foresee any problems with that?

Aslo wondeirng whether I need a bar to join up the two stays - my plan is that the wing and the bolts will hold them together.

pewe

posted on 11/12/06 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've welded a 3mm thick plate between the two stays just above the hub carrier so the whole issue can still be dismantled without splitting anything. Did see one that was plated off the third tapping on the carrier but thought that was excessive.
Cheers, Pewe
PS did you sort out a louvered bonnet or are you still in the market for the one I've got?

pewe

posted on 11/12/06 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
PPS I also rammed some suitable size rod up the inside of the square section stay tube and then welded it and drilled through it to stop it crushing when bolted up
steve m

posted on 11/12/06 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Well,

My original , non patended, stays are still on my car, have never broken, and i stood on the mudgaurd earlier this evning to get somthing off the top shelf, (im a short git) , and jumped down, and the mudgaurd bounced a couple of times and relaxed itself, all back to normal like me

so payments donated to my bank account will get the required drawings, and spec !!!

David Jenkins

posted on 11/12/06 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
And I have the same design of stays (blatently copied from Steve) and they've lasted nearly 2000 miles with no
signs of distress (touch wood).

Not sure I'd want to stand on mine though - I'm just a wee bit larger than Steve!

David

C10CoryM

posted on 12/12/06 at 01:30 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone ever tried a cable to take the up the slack? Connected at the top, and the inside of the stay and cinched up it would take the shock load of the outside of the wing trying to dip. Thats probably the load that fatigues the stays I would guess? Could loosen/tighten it as required and if the cable snapped you would at least get some warning before your wing came off. Also might be able to make them a little lighter . Haven't played with this idea much but I think it would work, or at least transfer the loads somewhere you can add some thickness to. Wouldn't want any welds under the cable though.
Cheers. Rescued attachment stays.JPG
Rescued attachment stays.JPG

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 12/12/06 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
ta for replies - the requirement for my stays is not very rigid (sic) - all they are required to do is survive the journey to SVA retest, 30 odd miles and it would be nice if they remain intact for the return journey.

My design is like C10CoryM but without the triangulation at the bottom; the idea is that the wing will hold the top of the stays together and bolts at the other end. Resting the rear stays against the caliper will stop any rotating movement.

I can't see that putting an extra bar near their top is going to add much other than more weight, which is a bad thing especially so far away from the point of fixing.

steve m

posted on 13/12/06 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
"And I have the same design of stays (blatently copied from Steve) and they've lasted nearly 2000 miles with no
signs of distress (touch wood).

Not sure I'd want to stand on mine though - I'm just a wee bit larger than Steve!

David"

well another satisfied customer !!

and judging by the pics, and text, some if you guys, are over engineering the whole setup, i would bet that, both my wing stays will weigh less than the "one" in the pic

David Jenkins

posted on 14/12/06 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
While Steve's photographing his, here's my version (pictured below) - this is the driver's side mudguard. This is made from 5mm steel strip - the funny bend was made with a blowlamp, some brute force and a hammer. The key feature is that one of the stays has 2 holes, so it isn't going to swivel back and forth. The cross-piece is only there to ensure that the other stay doesn't swivel (I'm not sure it's needed though). Each fixing hole has a spacer about 15mm thick: mine were turned up on a lathe, but you could use a stack of thick washers.

I know Steve's is slightly different, but the basic principle is the same.

BTW: This is a very convenient arrangement, as you don't have to remove anything else to get the wing off - I took this wing off, took some photos and put it back, all in less than 5 minutes.

David Rescued attachment mudguard.JPG
Rescued attachment mudguard.JPG

steve m

posted on 15/12/06 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
No point in posting a pic. as Daves one is exactley the same as mine without the rear curved bar, both of mine are straight

rear stay has a hole drilled into one end, that goes to the upper caliper bolt, and the front goes to the hole that used to hold the disk splashgaurd taped out to 10mm

a stay bar welded between them to add some strenght

and that is it, just bend the bars over the wheel, with a 10mm block of wood over the tyre to give clearance (I have only got 4-5 mm, and its not enough !)

and then araldite the mudgaurd onto the top, wait to dry, then invert the setup
and fiberglass over the bars , thus trapping the bar within a fiberglass sandwich

and there we have a very slimline, areodynamic profile, wing stays, with no mounting holes /bolts, to upset the sva man

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.