Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Front to rear brake bias on MOT roller tester??
NS Dev

posted on 17/1/07 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Front to rear brake bias on MOT roller tester??

Daft question, but taking the car to the garage on fri afternoon to check the brakes on the rollers pre-sva.

What % do I need as a front to rear comparison?

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Hellfire

posted on 17/1/07 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Daft question, but taking the car to the garage on fri afternoon to check the brakes on the rollers pre-sva.

What % do I need as a front to rear comparison?

As long as the front wheels lock up before the back wheels that is all the SVA look for.

Steve

NS Dev

posted on 17/1/07 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
thought there was a load of calcs in the manual on C of G etc and the brake effort had to satisfy that lot?

If its just front before rear then no probs, I know it does that...............

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Bob C

posted on 17/1/07 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
yep - load of calcs - designed to ensure front before rear on all surfaces (ice to dry tarmac). If your fronts lock first on dry tarmac & you have a bias bar (or nothing at all) you'll get through
Bob

MikeR

posted on 17/1/07 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
so my harness gets it first official outting - be careful with it, don't do anything silly, i don't want any stretching or blood on it ok!

(remember, i've been your passenger!)

do a search, i'm sure this has been covered before.

RazMan

posted on 17/1/07 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
My SVA tester told me that my car was overbraked on the rear calipers (std Sierra) and needed to tweak the balance bar - I still passed though.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kissy

posted on 17/1/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I set my bias almost fully front. On the rollers it passed no worries (helps that the MOT guy races monoposto, so is sympathetic to non-standadr stuff) The rollers were knackered on the second year so they did the road test using the accellerometer - for that they needed the vehicle weight (which I knew) so they calculated it as OK too. I'd let them know when you turn up - hopefully you won't have a station where they keep you away from the tester. Best bit was the emissions - mine were taken from a Laguna! Happened to be the nearest car to the emissions checker.
zxrlocost

posted on 17/1/07 at 11:52 PM Reply With Quote
dude when they checked my car he was very serious about all the measurements and readings

go with bog standard pads and make sure your fronts lock up first on your private test road your 90% there

chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

NS Dev

posted on 18/1/07 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, cool.

Thanks all.

My roll pin on the bias bar may prove "compliant" enough to allow the neccesary adjustment!

chockymonster

posted on 18/1/07 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Ok, cool.

Thanks all.

My roll pin on the bias bar may prove "compliant" enough to allow the neccesary adjustment!

Have fun with that!
My tester spent a good 10 minutes making sure the roll pin was all the way through!

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 18/1/07 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
How?

RazMan

posted on 18/1/07 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
I didn't even have my bias bar locked for my test! The tester was happy with it though.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

NS Dev

posted on 18/1/07 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
I have the aforementioned "roll-pin", and I also have an alloy cover/footrest, which I want to fit over the pedal box, but I'm not sure whether if I fit it he will fail it through suspicion!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.