Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: type 9 speedo options
dave r

posted on 19/1/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
type 9 speedo options

whats involved to change a type 9 from mechanical cable speedo, to electrical output ??

also a standard cable driven speedo, is 1000 rev a mile
anyone know how many pulses per mile for a type 9
(guess the last bit depends on the diff)

goeslike

posted on 19/1/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
speedo

Hi. have just purchased a revotec speedo direct - much cheaper than Demon Tweeks. Very easy to fit and callibrate - sensor uses back of wheel studs on any wheel hub. Took half an hour to fit including making sensor bracket and putting hole in dash. No more cables!!!
dave r

posted on 19/1/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
didnt realise it went on that side.....
assume it looks at notches/teeth on the end of the shaft that turns the cable ?
what holds it on, what had t9's that unit, and be in a scrappy ;p

miegru

posted on 19/1/07 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Did that with my former seven. I bought a pulse-thingy that fitted directly onto the mechanical output of the gearbox.

I bought it at a company that installs the 'tacho'systems on trucks (the thing that logs the hours they have driven and rested). It cost me a whole 2 euros and no brackets or anything were needed.

coozer

posted on 19/1/07 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Cable on the opposite side?? Mine is on the side taht you can see in the picture above????

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

dave r

posted on 20/1/07 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Cable on the opposite side?? Mine is on the side taht you can see in the picture above????

i meant opposite to where he mechanical cable goes

Schrodinger

posted on 20/1/07 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I Think you will find that some of the Granadas with Type 9s had an electronic speedo and IIRC there were two or three types of sender.
stevebubs

posted on 21/1/07 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
If anyone can post a link to an adapter that goes into the Type 9 mechanical hole then that would save a lot of issues with glueing magnets to props etc....
dave r

posted on 21/1/07 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
If anyone can post a link to an adapter that goes into the Type 9 mechanical hole then that would save a lot of issues with glueing magnets to props etc....

i was wondering about something similar. already have the cable in the gearbox, so will maybe end up mounting the sensor somewhere near the dash
(at least until the cable breaks)

David Jenkins

posted on 21/1/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
This is a picture of my sender when it was partially completed - it fits into the speedo cable hole, held in by the same circlip.

speedo sender
speedo sender

It's a steel toothed wheel that spins between a magnet and a hall effect sensor (which isn't in the picture - it's fitted to the lid that covers the wheel). The wheel has a tapered square shaft that goes into the hole that used to drive the cable inner. As you can guess, you'll need a lathe.

No dimensions, I'm afraid - I drew up some initial sketches, then modified details as I went along. It no longer bears any relationship to the sketches!

However, it gave some problems a while ago, so I was planning to investigate the ideas shown on this page. This looks like a fairly easy way of making a sender. In the end I fixed the original one so didn't take it any further.

I have also seen a web page that described how to adapt a London black cab speedo sender to make it fit a Type 9... but I've lost the link.

David

[Edited on 21/1/07 by David Jenkins]

02GF74

posted on 22/1/07 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
calling David Jenkins ..... (snet U2U) - please can you give me more details on how you made this adpater
Schrodinger

posted on 22/1/07 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have a sender from a Granada in my garage somewhere if anyone wants to give it a try.

Note: sender now gone.

Also if you are using a Sierra dif then ETB does a speedo that works on a disk clamped between the prop and dif.
I understand that some people with live rear axles have used this setup but as the whole axle moves I don't know how they have fixed the sensor.

[Edited on 22/1/07 by Schrodinger]

[Edited on 22/1/07 by Schrodinger]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.