Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  7    8    9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost ext design cont....
Bob C

posted on 28/5/07 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
I sincerely do hope it becomes commercially available - I want one!
BTW, if you "alter the body" on a car, any testing required (like SVA again??) I would have thought not, anyone know for sure?
Fingers crossed
Bob

JamJah

posted on 29/5/07 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
You don't need a SVA for a bodywork kit! Think Chavs in Vauxhall Novas.

However if someone was building normal kit stylee they would need one, but thats nothing shockingly new or suprising.

Yes radii and light positions would have to be checked that they conformed during development of a full sized version (as would everything else in the SVA Manual) otherwise people would have to rip it to shreds to make it road legal, but I think that would have been expected as part of the design process Bob.

[Edited on 29/505/0707 by JamJah]

[Edited on 29/505/0707 by JamJah]

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

Gaz 1977

posted on 29/5/07 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
epona

The plan at the moment is to buy the chassis and get it rolling as soon as is possible, I think that i will go zetec with throttle bodies, i hope this should be an easy ish installation and then start on the body.

As i will be building the first one i will have to get it through SVA so subsequent shells should not be any problem to pass. I am sure that i will have missed something regarding SVA during the model process but i cant See it being too far off.

On the bright side, i presume that if you build a full bodied car you don't have to mess about covering nuts and bolts on the wishbones etc.

David Jenkins

posted on 29/5/07 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Yep - the only real concern is external radii, and whether the tyres/wheels are covered by the bodywork.

My only concern with going the MK route would be whether the body could still be fitted to a 'book' chassis. It would be a shame to tie yourself up with just one chassis, however popular.

Bets of luck with the venture, though!
David

JamJah

posted on 29/5/07 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Was it MK who sold paper plans of their kits? Or was that GTS...? or someone else....? someone has. I'm sure someone will pipe up with who!

This is personal advise or personal opinion.
Constructive comments gratefully recieved, picking is left for noses.

AdamR

posted on 29/5/07 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Continuing to love this project! Big respect Gaz.

For chassis options, I think you need to decide on the track width and wheelbase and keep the bodywork mounts separate from the body itself so that people can fab their own to fit whatever they have. Assuming you go Sierra track - which seems to be most common these days - the body should fit MK, MNR, GTS, +4 Locosts, wide-bodied Westies etc with little modification.

The wider your market, the more you'll sell!

AdamR

posted on 29/5/07 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JamJah
Was it MK who sold paper plans of their kits? Or was that GTS...? or someone else....? someone has. I'm sure someone will pipe up with who!

GTS

Gaz 1977

posted on 30/5/07 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
EPONA BODY

I will be going sierra track because that seem to be the way they are all going, with the added bonus that i could make the glass area a bit wider and not have to cut a screen down.

Track can be adjusted to an extent by using different wheels/spacers etc.

I need to find out if the wheel base is the same on the different models as i think this could be the biggest problem as far as fitting the shell to different cars.

I had a thought yesterday (dangerous) that it might be possible to use the original rear wings as inner arches.

The thing is i have to build the epona on an existing chassis so it makes sense to use a popular one (MK).

I hope that, as the body drops over the top of the chassis, there should be a little room to spare and with a small amount of modification it should fit most things. just need to try it.

thanks chaps.

any thoughts give me a shout.

GAZ

DIY Si

posted on 30/5/07 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
How does the MK chassis compare in term sof size with the other major manufacturers? Ideally, you'd want to go for the largest chassis you can, that way all the smaller ones will fit happily under the shell. Which dimension are the most different? IE height, width length, as this may alter/affect some of the mounting points. EG, if they are nearly all the same width, then that could tie one dimension in place, making there less to mess about with.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

scotmac

posted on 30/5/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Read the whole thread, and can only say congrats, and please add me to the production body "waitlist". How much is the deposit?

One question (may be answered in the other thread), how does the exhaust route? Are you planning for some type of "flat" style tubes to go underneath? I actually would prefer out the side...is it possible, w/ the design?

DIY Si

posted on 30/5/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC the exhausts are one bit that require final planning. When I meet him and his old man at Stoneleigh, there were still a few possible options. One was running it down the sills and then up and over the rear suspension, and then split at the back. There were other ideas, but I can't remeber what they are!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

posted on 30/5/07 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Less of the "old " Si.

For your information, Epona will require a very complicated handcrafted system,
that will cost oodles of dosh, most of which will end up in my wallet.

Paul G

DIY Si

posted on 30/5/07 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I call everyone's Dad Old Man, so don't take it to heart! And besides, you aren't that young! You're son's got 10 years on me as it is!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

posted on 30/5/07 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
I was a child bride.

Paul G

Gaz 1977

posted on 31/5/07 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scotmac
Read the whole thread, and can only say congrats, and please add me to the production body "waitlist". How much is the deposit?

One question (may be answered in the other thread), how does the exhaust route? Are you planning for some type of "flat" style tubes to go underneath? I actually would prefer out the side...is it possible, w/ the design?

thanks mate, As far as exhausts, i havent really made my mind up, out the side would be alot easier, there will be plenty of room between the chassis and the shell to hide a pipe, i need to be a bit carefull with the heat though.

as for 907, he doesnt look 65, but he must have done once.

Gaz 1977

posted on 11/6/07 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
transportation design show

If anyone is interested and fancies a laugh,

The Northumbria University Transportation Design Degree Show starts tomorow night from 6pm.
In Newcastle (it might be an idea to mention that)

There are twenty odd displays to look at and i am sure we will be going for a few beers afterwards.

I am going to look at a doner car tonight for the epona, so fingers crossed..

u2u me if anyone wants a look at the show.

Thanks

GAZ Rescued attachment SHOW BDS.jpg
Rescued attachment SHOW BDS.jpg

DIY Si

posted on 11/6/07 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
I'll have the one in red from the top right please!!!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

gottabedone

posted on 11/6/07 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hey Gaz,

Still looking good!

If you use the widest chassis that you can, then you can get some tasty seats in there. The car gets quite narrow at window/waist height so this might not leave much elbow/shoulder room if the car is scaled for a smaller chassis.

regards

Steve

gttman

posted on 12/6/07 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gaz 1977
I will be going sierra track because that seem to be the way they are all going, with the added bonus that i could make the glass area a bit wider and not have to cut a screen down.

Track can be adjusted to an extent by using different wheels/spacers etc.

I need to find out if the wheel base is the same on the different models as i think this could be the biggest problem as far as fitting the shell to different cars.

I had a thought yesterday (dangerous) that it might be possible to use the original rear wings as inner arches.

The thing is i have to build the epona on an existing chassis so it makes sense to use a popular one (MK).

I hope that, as the body drops over the top of the chassis, there should be a little room to spare and with a small amount of modification it should fit most things. just need to try it.

thanks chaps.

any thoughts give me a shout.

GAZ

Gaz
I have an MK Indy and am just down the road from 907 if you want to measure stuff up etc.

[Edited on 12/6/07 by gttman]

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

Gaz 1977

posted on 12/6/07 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks andy, that could well be useful,

I think i might do a quick mk2 model with the adjustments for the wider chassis, I have the molds for the original model so it wont take too long.

There are a few bits and bobs that i am not too happy with that need sorting before the full size one can be built.

as for elbow room, i hope it will be ok, all of the body is wider then a normal seven, i thinks its going to be one of those suck it and see things.

Thanks chaps,

GAZ

Bob C

posted on 12/6/07 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Better do a poll Gaz - I'll be wanting book standard chassis & 60" outside wheel to outside wheel...... ;^)
Go for the standard chassis & you have a big retrofit market as well as a large proportion of new builds - Go for the new MK chassis & the market is much more limited.
Or maybe you can make it fit anything?????
Bob

Fred W B

posted on 12/6/07 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
If the hope is to sell shell for retrofits to existing cars, a very usefull measurment to record, if any one is measuring their cars, is Width Over Wheels (WOW), overall width from the outside of LHS wheel to outside of RHS wheel, front and rear.

This can then be compared with the outside width of the body, to see if the wheels will sit in the arches nicely, without changing wheel offsets dramaticallly

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 12/6/07 by Fred W B]

Bob C

posted on 12/6/07 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Aha - Width over wheels (WOW)
I knew there'd be a proper name for it!
And we'll do it in metric yeah?
It's clearly a tricky one - everyone will have a different combination of axle/wheels/pacers etc. and there's probably 50mm or so acceptable range, maybe even less
Bob

Fred W B

posted on 12/6/07 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Aha - Width over wheels (WOW)

I don't know about a it being a proper term, I just made it up. I found it much easier to work with than having to add wheel widths to a track measurement all the time. Some sources seem to quote WOW as track though.

If any one is confused, Track is measured to the wheel/tread centre lines (nothing to do with offset)

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 12/6/07 by Fred W B]

Bob C

posted on 13/6/07 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
OK width over wheels for mine is 1540mm rear, a touch less at the front
Bob

<<  7    8    9    10    11    12  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.