Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can anybody lay GRP very well?
StevieB

posted on 17/4/07 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Can anybody lay GRP very well?

I was wondering whether a one piece GRP centre tunnel cover would be easy to make/fit and would look any good.

I've seen something similar for a Tiger that was a full interior 'tub', but I figured just something to cover the centre tunnel might look good and would help with SVA.

I'd also need to find somewhere to get the GRP laid properly, because I wouldn't be able to do much of a job myself.

Any opinions?

Volvorsport

posted on 17/4/07 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
no not everybody can do it - but i can .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

02GF74

posted on 17/4/07 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
any monkey can do it, as I have proved but the tricky part is getting a nice smooth finish.

as far as I know, that requires a mould.

carboncraft

posted on 17/4/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
Its easy, make up what you want out of MDF, seal and polish with release wax, make a mould out of fiberglass then you can make as many items as you want. I am doing the whole interior in Carbon fiber and Carbon kevlar looks great.
StevieB

posted on 17/4/07 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Actually, I was thinking of c/f in the long run, but just wondered if it was easy to do and whether people reckoned a one piece tunnel section would look any good?

In terms of getting a decent finish, I'd rather someone else who definately knows what they're doing did the work.

Volvorsport - u2u sent

[Edited on 17/4/07 by StevieB]

ned

posted on 17/4/07 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
I'm pretty sure I've seen a one piece carbon tunnel cover from mnr in the past..

ps like this:

mnr carbon tunnel
mnr carbon tunnel

[Edited on 17/4/07 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 17/4/07 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I'd seen them on pricing lists, but haven't ever seen one fitted (I figured there was a reason for that).

In that case, with any luck, the MNR item will fit my Indy (though I've seen an MNR part built and noticed it had hoops rather than a full tunnel like the Indy has).

pathfinder

posted on 17/4/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
the dax rush also has a grp tunnel, just make sure its strong enough to take a bit of weight when getting in and out of the car.
StevieB

posted on 17/4/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I did have my concerns about the cheap plastic interior supplied with the kit in the first place - looks the sort of stuff that would distort over time in the sun!

Anything would be better!

Avoneer

posted on 17/4/07 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Can't vouch for Volvorsports GRP as I haven't seen any, but the wishbones he made for me were spot on and I'm a fussy bugger!

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carboncraft

posted on 17/4/07 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
if you have got a pieceof trim you want to copy then you are half way there, make a mould of of it, then lay up with one layer of Carbon back that up with CSM or woven fabric for strengh and to keep the cost down, if you use polly resin you are probaly talking about £40-£50 in materials.
02GF74

posted on 18/4/07 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer
Can't vouch for Volvorsports GRP as I haven't seen any, but the wishbones he made for me were spot on and I'm a fussy bugger!

GRP wishbones?

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/4/07 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Avoneer

GRP wishbones?

A very good material for them, I fancy making some myself using tape over a light alloy former. My favorite was the carbon fiber conrod, pure weird to look at, bit like a black dog chew but incredibly strong.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

twybrow

posted on 18/4/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
At a composite trade show last year, there was a carbon spring. Try and figure out how that was made!?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.