Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Major Problem
darrens

posted on 13/6/07 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Major Problem

Went for SVA today, it failed, although I was expecting a fail as it my first SVA and build. The failures were nothing major, only radius edges around suspension and one or two on the dash. The Major setback is that they wouldn't accept proof of engine age.

Basically the engine is a 3.5RV8 rebored to 3.9, in this process the engine No. was restamped on the block, VOSA won't accept this (as they claim it could be any engine). I bought this engine with the work already done incl all reciepts. But none of the reciepts show the Engine No. I also asked if they would accept a letter from english heritage stating that an 11A engine was produced between 79-80 but that was a no too.

I'm stuck and desperately looking for inspiration on where to go, the only options I see are to put two CATS on the car and hope that it will pass a CAT emission test (which I don't think it will - tickering with megasquirt at the moment and can get co2 down to 3.5 but doubt I'd ever achieve the 0.1 required for CAT Test), second option is to change the engine.

Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Howlor

posted on 13/6/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
What about a Q plate?
davrus

posted on 13/6/07 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
Is buying a manual for that engine good enough as it will state what car and year it was made between on the front cover.

Just an idea as i know peaple have used haynes manuals in the past.

Check out my website http://www.thedave.co.uk/
Feel free to sign my guest book in the links page.

darrens

posted on 13/6/07 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
The registration is not the issue here, the issure is that as VOSA won't accpet my engine proof the engine has to be subject to a CAT emission test, which would mean me spending a sh#t load of money on two catalytic converters which would look an eye soar on the side of a seven car.
Snuggs

posted on 13/6/07 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how old your engine is but this may help.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/rimmer/rover/v8engine/heads#Cylinder%20Head%20Identification

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

darrens

posted on 13/6/07 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by davrus
Is buying a manual for that engine good enough as it will state what car and year it was made between on the front cover.

Just an idea as i know peaple have used haynes manuals in the past.

Haynes manual not accepted either as SD1 car only had a 3.5ltr engine, they basiaclly splitting hairs over the Number stamp as it's not the original Rover one.

[Edited on 13/6/07 by darrens]

[Edited on 13/6/07 by darrens]

stevebubs

posted on 13/6/07 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
so don't tell them it's been bored to a 3.9...
stevebubs

posted on 13/6/07 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
Are there any block casting numbers on the Rover block that can be used?
Snuggs

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Does it have short or long reach plugs.

Short reach means pre 1976.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

Paradoxia0

posted on 13/6/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mate

I am in EXACTLY the same position with my 4.2

The block itself hasn't changed since 1946 and there is nothing definative to show its age. The peripherals around the engine are all 100% interchangeable so no way me or the guys I got mine from can prove it with. (basically I looked at it in that if I was going to be that stubbourn I wouldn't accept a letter from a reputable engine builders could I find anything that would convince myself - and the answer is no).

A small ray of light is that I have been informed that some of the blocks have a small clockface cast into the block while it was cast. The hour hand points to a number (1 - 12 denoting the month) and there should be a number wither side of the arrow denoting year (i.e. 8 on the left of arrow 6 on the right denotes 1986). As this would have been cast into the block it should provide evidence (and as the bloke at Land Rover tracability told me this you should be able to get a letter confirming that).

The downside is I ahve checked my block and cannot find the mark but other have it (just above the sump on the right).

Hope that helps.

I am giving up and just getting another V8 block with a V5 to get mine through SVA.

When I spoke to someone at the DVLA they told me they would accept the letter from the engine builders confirming the age and the new engine number with reason why it was changed if I decided t put my 4.2 back in.

Mark

There is no replacement for displacement...

CaptainJosh

posted on 13/6/07 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Try british motor heritage, they give you good enough proof for vosa
Paradoxia0

posted on 13/6/07 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Problem being National Motor Heritage can give you evidence for the ORIGNAL engine number, not the re-stampped one. Proving the re-stampped number was that original number is the tricky bit that I couldn't convince Mr SVA of.

Mark

There is no replacement for displacement...

darrens

posted on 13/6/07 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paradoxia0
Hi Mate

The block itself hasn't changed since 1946 and there is nothing definative to show its age. The peripherals around the engine are all 100% interchangeable so no way me or the guys I got mine from can prove it with. (basically I looked at it in that if I was going to be that stubbourn I wouldn't accept a letter from a reputable engine builders could I find anything that would convince myself - and the answer is no).

A small ray of light is that I have been informed that some of the blocks have a small clockface cast into the block while it was cast. The hour hand points to a number (1 - 12 denoting the month) and there should be a number wither side of the arrow denoting year (i.e. 8 on the left of arrow 6 on the right denotes 1986). As this would have been cast into the block it should provide evidence (and as the bloke at Land Rover tracability told me this you should be able to get a letter confirming that).

The downside is I ahve checked my block and cannot find the mark but other have it (just above the sump on the right).

Hope that helps.

I am giving up and just getting another V8 block with a V5 to get mine through SVA.

When I spoke to someone at the DVLA they told me they would accept the letter from the engine builders confirming the age and the new engine number with reason why it was changed if I decided t put my 4.2 back in.

Mark

Thanks for the info sir, will give that alook in the morning, it is abit of sad situation really (or a mockery), the fact that peoples engines are rebored, repaired, replaced makes it a bit of a farce.

What's really annouying is the engine is absolutley spot-on, perfect oil pressure, running sweat and sounds bonza, and now I'm faced with pullin the bugger out to suit an inspectorate. If you compare my emissions over the year compared to your average van man, mondeo, vectra etc I don't think it takes a genius to figure out who gives off the most.

Rant time now!!!

Cheers for the info guys

Agriv8

posted on 13/6/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Take the number of a known old block and stamp up yours and tell em you have swapped the block for an old one.

or stick the 3.5 that I had in for my SVA that has all the relevant paper work.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

robinj66

posted on 13/6/07 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
You need to obtain a statement from whoever restamped the engine number, confirming that the original number was restamped.
If a simple letter will not suffice then you have that person make a statutory declation that has to be signed in front of a solicitor/notary publc.

PITA but if it's what it takes to make VOSA see (common) sense it'll be worth it in the long run

Agriv8

posted on 14/6/07 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
How will they know its been re-stamped ?

The stamps as they came out of rover were on the rough side. ( aprt from the very-very late ones !!! ).

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

darrens

posted on 16/6/07 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
So, what's the crack with changing the engine to get through the SVA, do I have to keep this engine in for DVLA and registering, plates etc.

cheers

darrens

posted on 17/6/07 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paradoxia0
Hi Mate

Hope that helps.

Mark

Mark,

On which side are the markings supposed to be, starter motor side or dipstick side. I cand find a few markings (and I could have sworn I'd seen and hour hand before), 2A being one on the block (dipstick side), 1 on the top back on the block just infront of the bell housing and six digit number and and ERC number just behind the starter motor.

Was dark so could see very well.

Cheers
I am determined to try and keep this engine in.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.