Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help with clutch
jacko

posted on 26/6/07 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Help with clutch

The clutch on my wifes s reg corsa needs renewing. Can anyone tell me what kind of job it is to do one.
What kind of time limit does it takes to do the job.
Is it a DIY job.
If we have it done at a garage what would be a good price to pay for this.
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
davrus

posted on 26/6/07 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
what spec is the corsa?

Check out my website http://www.thedave.co.uk/
Feel free to sign my guest book in the links page.

theconrodkid

posted on 26/6/07 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
have a look on the bottom of the bell housing,if there is a large plate there,its a doddle,you drop the clutch from there,if not its a box out job,not too bad to do tho

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

jacko

posted on 26/6/07 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi its a 1000cc 3 cylinder job
yes i think there is a big plate under the box can i fit a new thrust bearing too through the bottom of the box
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
davrus

posted on 26/6/07 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Technical data says just under 4 hours, if it has a plate at the bottom then you will be able to drop it through it, but i would say it has not got a plate!!

Hope that helps

Dave

Check out my website http://www.thedave.co.uk/
Feel free to sign my guest book in the links page.

theconrodkid

posted on 26/6/07 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
3 pot would be a late one,dunno if they went back to the hole in the bell again?
drop the plate off,should be about 12"X4" with 11mm headed bolts holding it on.
look under the wheel arch there should be a plug in the end of the box,think its 30mm,you need to pull the 1st motion shaft from there,you need a puller,easily made,circlip pliers,new circlip and some clamps to compress the clutch cover

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

jollygreengiant

posted on 26/6/07 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
have a look on the bottom of the bell housing,if there is a large plate there,its a doddle,you drop the clutch from there,if not its a box out job,not too bad to do tho

Wrong S plate would be later variant and the box would need to come out. The plate will be recessed in the flywheel and hence the plate underneath will be useless.

Sorry. give bad news.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

jacko

posted on 26/6/07 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi just had a look and NO plate bugger
so box out job how do you get the drive shafts off how long a job will i do it in a day ?
Graham

roadrunner

posted on 26/6/07 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Graham, i should think a man with as much talent as you , should find it an easy job.
P S , if i where you, i would get a haynes manual, it makes life so much easier.
Brad.

jacko

posted on 26/6/07 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Hi Graham, i should think a man with as much talent as you , should find it an easy job.

Thankyou Brad it never hurts to ask for help if ppl know the answer and saves you time and MONEY

adithorp

posted on 26/6/07 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
3pots all need the box out.

Some points that probably aren't in the Haynes...

Shafts come out with a lever behind then and a sharp blow. Once you've got one out (off side is easiest) Put a roll of card up the hole as the planet gears can fall into the bottom (been there, done that. A thin screw driver through the diff onto the other shaft end and a light tap will release the other one if the lever won't. Box is a bit tight to get past the sub-frame but it'll come with some twisting.

Adrian

jacko

posted on 26/6/07 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
3pots all need the box out.

Some points that probably aren't in the Haynes...

Shafts come out with a lever behind then and a sharp blow. Once you've got one out (off side is easiest) Put a roll of card up the hole as the planet gears can fall into the bottom (been there, done that. A thin screw driver through the diff onto the other shaft end and a light tap will release the other one if the lever won't. Box is a bit tight to get past the sub-frame but it'll come with some twisting.

Adrian

Thank's Adrian that's the kind of info i was looking for .
I love the way every one on hear helps if they can with info
Graham

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.