Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suspension strut bolt removal
greggors84

posted on 4/9/03 at 12:00 AM Reply With Quote
Suspension strut bolt removal

I managed to snap the head of the bolt clamping the suspension strut onto the front hub. Ive managed to get the strut out and the hub off the car, but im left with the bolt stuck in the hub.

Whats the best way of removing the bolt with out having to re thread it, if thats possible?

Thanks

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

matt_claydon

posted on 4/9/03 at 12:43 AM Reply With Quote
Presumably the reason the bolt snapped was that it was seized and/or effing tight. In which case whatever you do don't use those reverse threaded screw extraction thingies. All you'll be left with is a seized bolt with a snapped off bit of 'harder than any drill' steel permanantly locked inside it - making any attempt at drilling the bolt out impossible.

If theres any bolt sticking out, you can try either cutting a slot and using a big screwdriver (likely to just mangle the bolt end), or hammering a very tight fitting socket onto the end of the bolt.

A good technique if you have a welder is to clean the top of the snapped bolt off really well with a grinder / dremel and then weld a nut onto it as a new head. The heat of the welding should help break the seal of the bolt, but extra heat from a blow torch and liberal application of penetrating oil will always help.

Hopefully others will have some alternative ideas.

Good luck,
Matt.

westdown

posted on 4/9/03 at 05:29 AM Reply With Quote
Hub bolts

I'm thinking of drilling the thread out of mine so as I can use a nut and bolt to mount the mud guard stays on. Any thoughts on this one. Would also cure your problem.

Dave

[Edited on 4/9/03 by westdown]

Browser

posted on 4/9/03 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Funnily enough exactly the same thing happened to me last night. The nearside one came off no probs, the offside was tight and wouldnt budge, despite a copious amount of penetrating oil. So I did what any self-repsecting mechanic would do, got a longer bar to put the socket on, half a turn later and snap. Cue quietly muttered swear words!
I was either going to drill it out to the root diameter of the thread and either prise out the remainder or tap it out, or I might be able to helicoil it if we have a suitable kit at work. If not, your nut & bolt route will be perfectly satisfactory Dave. Bloody Loctite

stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/9/03 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
I have a similar problem with a bleed nipple on one of my calipers.

It broke about 3mm above the caliper, so there is nothing much to grab onto. I didnt fancy heating with a blow torch, as that will shag the seals. Welding a bolt head on from the local heat point of view is good, but I recon it will just snap off - if its tight so it breaks the nipple, it will probably shear a little bit of welding on the circumference.

Slotting will probably just mash it.

For your hubs, I cant see why you cant just drill the whole damn thing out, and just use a nut and bolt afterwards - I cant see having one end tapped is vital........

You may want to do what I may have to do re my caliper - visit a breakers for another one!

atb

steve

[Edited on 4/9/03 by stephen_gusterson]

GO

posted on 4/9/03 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I suffered exactly the same problem with one of my hubs! After much shouting of the obligatory obscenities I ended up drilling the bolt out, starting with a tiny pilot hole and then progressively larger bits until the carcass of the bolt fell out. Remember to use lots of lubrication () if you go this route.

I will be using bolt + nylock to put it back together.

greggors84

posted on 4/9/03 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
It was the off side that gave me grief, i didnt quietly mutter swear words though, they were pretty loud!

I will have to drill it out and use a nut and bolt then.

Thanks

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

David Jenkins

posted on 4/9/03 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
One tip I've heard about (but not tried )

Take a length of steel rod with a large-as-possible diameter that you can put against the remains of the bolt.

Heat the tip of the rod to as high a temp as you can manage, then put it against the broken bolt. Take it away after a while and allow it to cool, then repeat as necessary.

This can break the rust/sealant, without putting too much heat into the work.

Apparently, this is very good for releasing ancient jammed-in wood screws as well, esp, when the slot has just about had it.

cheers,

David

JoelP

posted on 4/9/03 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Someone recommended me to weld a new head onto a bummed bolt (sump plug actually) and it worked wonders. Only an old rusty nut as well....
stephen_gusterson

posted on 4/9/03 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
well, rescued my caliper!

welded on bolt just sheared, as I expected, but the weld crud was great for mole grips, after the weld heat loosened it up.

atb

steve

Browser

posted on 5/9/03 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

It was the off side that gave me grief, i didnt quietly mutter swear words though, they were pretty loud!

Ooer, same here! Wonder if the bolts had a different bloke putting them in who overdid it with the Loctite?

stephen_gusterson

posted on 5/9/03 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
I have often noticed that one side of a car gets more corrosion than the other - like the uprights from my donor.

Imm guessing that there must be more water / salt / whatever in certain areas of the road than others. I recon the passenger side is usually worse....

atb

steve

Noodle

posted on 5/9/03 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
I have often noticed that one side of a car gets more corrosion than the other - like the uprights from my donor.

Imm guessing that there must be more water / salt / whatever in certain areas of the road than others. I recon the passenger side is usually worse....

atb

steve

Suppose that indicates that the salt migrates with the camber of road

Bloody Romans and their civil engineering ideas!

Neil

JoelP

posted on 5/9/03 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Damned Romans, what did they ever do for us...
TheGecko

posted on 5/9/03 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Well, there's the aqueduct....

timf

posted on 5/9/03 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
orgies
MK Goldrush

posted on 5/9/03 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Hadrians wall........ (putting flak jacket on!!!!!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Spyderman

posted on 5/9/03 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I have always found it was the offside that gets more corrosion.
It has always been the right hand side that needed new wings or welding first.

I'd have thought that logically the nearside would rot first due to more water collecting there!
Maybe it is due to the spray thrown up by passing vehicles, or possibly that the salt is more concentrated in centre of road where there is less water!

Terry

Spyderman

Alan B

posted on 5/9/03 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timf
orgies

I love the way you think...
Very much on my wavelength...

Anyway, back to topic:

I stripped my donor ('85 MR2) and found nothing stripped, siezed or over-tight....could it be no salt/mild winters here, or good Toyota quality?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DaveFJ

posted on 5/9/03 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I stripped my donor ('85 MR2) and found nothing stripped, siezed or over-tight....could it be no salt/mild winters here, or good Toyota quality?

could just be that it's not a 'Fix Or Repair Daily' donor !

MattWatson

posted on 5/9/03 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan B
quote:
Originally posted by timf
orgies

I love the way you think...
Very much on my wavelength...

Anyway, back to topic:

Good toyota quality... HAHAHAHAHA

Come up here, every pannel will be rusted through, and EVERY bolt will be siezed even those of German quality!

Matt Watson
--------------------------------
VW 1.6L SOHC Turbo Mid engined car

http://members.shaw.ca/wavindustries/

greggors84

posted on 6/9/03 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ive tried drilling the bolt out, but getting no where. What sort of place would drill it out for me? I havent a clue where to start or what to look for in the yellow pages.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

stephen_gusterson

posted on 6/9/03 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
would it not be a lot easier and cheaper to get a new upright from a breakers for less than a tenner?

atb

steve

greggors84

posted on 7/9/03 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
If i get one off a non abs car, will it be the same as my abs hub, except without the sensor?

I just wondered if the dimensions are different.

Thanks

stephen_gusterson

posted on 7/9/03 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
id take it with you to the scrappy and compare....

atb

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.