Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Donnington
marcjagman

posted on 16/9/07 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Donnington

What a load of pants this year, is it me or does it seem to be getting worse? Trade stands down and as for watching the cars on track £25 each to watch, told them where to stick it. Last time for me I think.
graememk

posted on 16/9/07 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
i'm going to write them a letter and let them know what i think, if evey one does it i think they will get the message.

unless i get a letter back letting me know what they are going to do about it for next year i wont be going again.

iggypop

posted on 16/9/07 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
it was disappointing - much better when the owners clubs have the infield
worX

posted on 16/9/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I'll not go again, but it was really good to meet up with a few people!

Steve

matt.c

posted on 16/9/07 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
If it wasn't for me buying most of the crap on the stalls i would have been very disapointed in the show this year.
Will have to think twice next year!

andyace

posted on 16/9/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by graememk
i'm going to write them a letter and let them know what i think, if evey one does it i think they will get the message.

unless i get a letter back letting me know what they are going to do about it for next year i wont be going again.

I too was very disappointed, to charge £10 for a show where most of the exhibits are actually peoples cars is criminal.

Last year was not too bad as you could go and watch the cars on the track, but was surprised that this was not on this year.

Unless it changes next year, I won't be going again.

Grame is right though, unless people write in to complain nothing will change or worse still they will stop the show altogether. I for one will be writing.

orbital

posted on 16/9/07 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think I might write a letter too. Like you said, the more that do it, the more notice they'll take.

Absolute shambles it was, £10 to basically walk round a car park and watch the greedy Westfield test driver (who wasn't very good) sit there as no one was paying £10 for 2 laps round 20 seconds worth of cones! I mean who in there right mind would!!

If it wasn't for meeting up with Steve and the Carbon Mods blokes at the BEC site I would have been even more narked (that dashboard is gong to look the muts nuts! )

Cheers

Dave

[Edited on 16/9/07 by orbital]

Major Stare

posted on 16/9/07 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by orbital
Absolute shambles it was, £10 to basically walk round a car park and watch the greedy Westfield test driver (who wasn't very good) sit there as no one was paying £10 for 2 laps round 20 seconds worth of cones! I mean who in there right mind would!

I agree that £10 was a bit steep for a very small show,

BUT....

The driver for Westfield was NOT a Westfield employee, he is a professional driver who was paid for by Westfield.
Caterham were charging £10 for two laps at Stoneligh, Westifled have done the same (on a larger format). I helped out for Westfield over the weekend by 12.00 today we had 33 sessions, (not sure on Saturdays total).It cost westield over £2k for the use of that area, 12 new tyres, pay driver, fuel, salaries etc!

Give them a break, Limelight asked if they would do that slalom, they made a decision to do it.

Jon "FISH"

Paradoxia0

posted on 16/9/07 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say I was very diapointed in the Donny show. After 2 hours I had seen everything, eaten probably the worse burger I ahve ever had the misfortune to touch (well, 3 bites and couldn't stomach any more!) and was bored. As my passenger was bored too we left! what a waste of £45 worth of fuel and £10 to get in!

There is no replacement for displacement...

Agriv8

posted on 16/9/07 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
MMmmmm not too good.

Though the highlight for today was seeing RazMan's handiwork.

all I will say is that in real life it is excelent. You deserve more praise than I can pass on.

Nice to have met you Raz keep us updated with developments .

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

RazMan

posted on 16/9/07 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thankee kindly sir It was a pleasure to meet you and all the other Locost Builders that dropped in to say hi, although there were much fewer than last year so maybe the death knell is sounding for Donny next year

I have to agree that the show was very dissappointing this year. I was expecting a much bigger turnout with loads of trade stands and interesting new cars ..... there were just the usual suspects with very few new cars. The best hours (for me anyway) were during the record breaking drive up from Colchester at 6.00am with a lovely sunrise over an EMPTY M11

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
orbital

posted on 16/9/07 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Major Stare
quote:
Originally posted by orbital
Absolute shambles it was, £10 to basically walk round a car park and watch the greedy Westfield test driver (who wasn't very good) sit there as no one was paying £10 for 2 laps round 20 seconds worth of cones! I mean who in there right mind would!

I agree that £10 was a bit steep for a very small show,

BUT....

The driver for Westfield was NOT a Westfield employee, he is a professional driver who was paid for by Westfield.
Caterham were charging £10 for two laps at Stoneligh, Westifled have done the same (on a larger format). I helped out for Westfield over the weekend by 12.00 today we had 33 sessions, (not sure on Saturdays total).It cost westield over £2k for the use of that area, 12 new tyres, pay driver, fuel, salaries etc!

Give them a break, Limelight asked if they would do that slalom, they made a decision to do it.

What because Caterham overcharge it's OK for Westfield to do it too? It couldn't have been the same guy doing Sunday who I watched Saturday because if he was a professional we're all in trouble. Then again it was probably because he was left twiddling his fingers most of the morning he was a bit rough.

I just think anyone who paid £10 for less than two minutes (and yes I did time it ) in a motor going round some cones must be tapped, but each to there own eh!

Cheers

Dave

Major Stare

posted on 17/9/07 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
It was the same driver for Saturday and Sunday.
The tyres used Sunday morning were new and very grippy, which took a little time to wear down.
Once they had wore down, things were back to normal.

If you dont want to pay the money, dont go on. We had a lot of very happy people getting out of the cars.

Jon "FISH"

DaveFJ

posted on 17/9/07 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
From all the posts, I'm glad I decided not to go this year... Instead the wifey dragged me to a steam rally near lowestoft. Brilliant day out, fascinated by the steam engines on display and they had a classic car rally as well
only problem now is the wifey saw a mint TR6 and has decided that will be my next project!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

bigevil

posted on 17/9/07 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
me and my mate went to donny on the saturday to camp over and to be honest was well disapointed!think that maybe track time would have been good but circuit was double booked i think(vscc boys got there first!)within an hour and a half had pretty much seen everything.is this a representaion of how the kit car market is going ehat with stafford going down the swanny??
FEZ1025

posted on 17/9/07 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I was disgusted £10 for your passenger for each day even if you paid the £5 to camp & stay over total rip off. No proper toilets or showers it was a joke, I can see it being the last one unless things change.

Alan...

bob

posted on 17/9/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.limelight-exhibitions.co.uk

1 Howard Road,
Reigate,
Surrey
RH2 7JE

Tel: 01737 225857 or 07768 031329
Fax: 01737 240185
Email: enquiries@kitcar-exhibitions.co.uk

Sally mitchell would be the person to speak/write to, i have been down this road before complaining about the Donington show or lack of it.

The show was acceptable last year with camping on the infield with club areas and toilets, a few years back i told sally mitchell i would even pay double if they put on decent camping facilities ie showers with hot water and decent toilets.

It seems to me without the track or at least locost racing this event will go the same way as the other limelight shows, stafford (bingley hall) Kempton park Sandown park and the Rendezvous one day meet at Hickstead have all gone and were all limelight events.

I accept that Donington is probably the most expensive venue if using the track, but evening without the track i'm not sure that limelight are doing there best for the punter.

Maybe its petition time to give them a kick up the backside.

Vindi_andy

posted on 18/9/07 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by IndyJohn
Thanks to the girl who put my wrist band on.....you had great eyes
john

Are you talking about the brunette if so i totally agree

Back on thread yes it was pants this year managed to kill 3 1/2 hours there at least 1 hour of which was spent talking to people on the vindi stand, as I am building a sprint family john asked me to talk to a guy about it

Also pinched johns chairs to sit and have lunch with 2 tired and stressful kids

Main reason for going was to buy some bits and was very dissappointed to see at least 2 of the normal spares stands were absent from the tent

Gutted there was no track action as this is the main highlight of Donnington however i understand they had double booked so the "see red" crowd got the track

No new cars launched and several noticable names missing from Donny but did have a very nice chat with neil of murtaya fame

On the whole a pretty poor show Something needs to be done or Donny will go the way of stafford as people will stay away in droves if the reaction of this and other forums is to be believed

If the trend continues we will end up with just 3 or 4 shows in the uk a year stoneleigh, harrowgate and either Detling or Exeter maybe both but they are no good to me as they are both at least 4 hours drive away so i for one will be left with Stoneleigh

sorry for the rambling thread

rusty nuts

posted on 18/9/07 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
New (well revived) show at Peterborough next year so at least makes up for no Stafford show . Didn't bother going to Donnington show this year , by the sound of things I didn't miss much
matt.c

posted on 18/9/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
New (well revived) show at Peterborough next year so at least makes up for no Stafford show . Didn't bother going to Donnington show this year , by the sound of things I didn't miss much

At last a show not a shed load of miles away!! Got any info on it?

rusty nuts

posted on 18/9/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked on European Promotions website for details, just the dates at present Aug 9th and 10th Supposed to be a new venue? Old show used to be at the Peterborough showground
bob

posted on 18/9/07 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
That would take up the now lost Harrogate show so good news, i may take a look next year myself.

jollygreengiant

posted on 19/9/07 at 04:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts

DO you know when it is and/or who is organising it.??????

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Danozeman

posted on 19/9/07 at 05:45 AM Reply With Quote
Glad i dint go now. I have been to a lack of shows this year and was going to go..

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

DaveFJ

posted on 19/9/07 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Oh B*gger... Finally a show that is not to far away and I am going to be in Orlando on holiday

Quite a few of the big Kit Car companies are based near Peterborough so it would seem a logical place for a show...

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.