Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to measure Driveshaft Requirements?
muzchap

posted on 20/2/08 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
How to measure Driveshaft Requirements?

Hi guys,

Originally, I was going to get MAC#1 to supply these, but luckily, I've managed to locate a pair of driveshafts cheap and will now decide to cut them down, with a bit of welding (by professionals) to mate the ford end. Therefore, I feel a bit cheeky asking MAC#1 now.

Situation

S2000 Driveshaft = Tripode
Ford = Lobro

Question

How do i accurately measure the length of driveshaft required?

Do I jack up and on full suspension travel measure the fully extended? then measure the car without jacking and ensure that it caters for both - with the play in the Tripode/Lobro?

Some 'expert' advice appreciated

Cheers,

M

------------------------------------
If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!

RazMan

posted on 20/2/08 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I did exactly as you described and checked the length at both ends of the suspension travel. The tripod end is a bit forgiving anyway so you just need to have enough for the splines to be fully engaged.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
muzchap

posted on 20/2/08 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks RazMan

I'll give that a go tonight - I suppose if I get it wrong, I can re-do it

If you believe you're not crazy, whilst everybody is telling you, you are - then they are definitely wrong!

MustangSix

posted on 20/2/08 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
The way I've done it on several hot rods is to first verify that the transmission and pinion angles are correct, then put the car at ride height, fully insert the trans yoke, then pull it out of the trans about 1" (25mm). Then measure the center to center distance between the u-joints.

The only driveshafts I've ever seen that would require more than 1" of movement at the yoke are some high angle offroad setups and these cars typically don't have that much fore and aft driveshaft movement.

I've cut and welded shafts successfully several times, but I've found that it's better to simply provide that dimension to the local driveshaft shop and have them do the welding and balancing. They do a much nicer job on their lathe than I can do in my own shop.

muzchap

posted on 20/2/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mustang

I'll give that a go too

Cheers,

Muzchap

v8kid

posted on 20/2/08 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Beware of not leaving enough slack since if the driveshafts go solid at both sides, as in accelerating hard the resultantant crushing force will knacker the CWP in your diff.

Measure the shortest distance and subtract 1/2". In all probability that will give you the same result as the advice above but better safe than sorry......speaking from bitter experience.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 20/2/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
MUZ!!!!

the way to do it is not quite like that!!

You measure it all with the driveshafts at their "shortest" point.

I.e. when they are dead level.

Spec the shaft length so the lobro and tripod are just short of bottoming with the shaft dead level between joints.

Anything else may or may not cause the shaft to bind when its level, you won't know.

The only measurement you need is the shortest shaft length at max plunge on the joints.

On the grassers we measure the distance between the "back" of the lobro cups at each end with shafts level, then subtract 8mm, and that's the overall shaft length, nothing more needed.

edit PS v8kid is saying the same thing as well.

[Edited on 20/2/08 by NS Dev]

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

muzchap

posted on 21/2/08 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys - I'm now more worried than ever! LOL

Oh well measure, measure, measure

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.