Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 water in the oil
ChrisS

posted on 20/2/08 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
R1 water in the oil

Whilst doing some work on the clutch as the diaphram spring popped in yesterday, ive noticed that it seems as though the few times ive run the engine during the build, has caused some water to go into the oil. (When i say water, i mean contamination, not like buckets of it)

The engine had been stood for quite a long time and i put new oil in it before starting it etc etc.

I think i read somewhere its got something to do with the water pump and wondered if anyone else has experienced this and could advise how to rectify it, and whether the engine will need to come out to do it.

Thanks

[Edited on 20/2/08 by ChrisS]

ChrisS

posted on 20/2/08 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Just spoken to the local Yamaha Shop Mechanic who says its unlikely to be the water pump as they have fail safe water drains. He said they do suffer with condensation in the clutch cover and oil level window.

He also said it could be a head gasket problem but the motor would run very steamy, and gurgle loads of coolant back into the header tank?

ANy ideas much appreciated.

locoR1

posted on 20/2/08 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you’ve just run it at idle and not actually driven it yet I wouldn’t worry to much its probably just condensation. An oil and filter change before if goes on the road would be my advice!

Dave….

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

02GF74

posted on 20/2/08 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
what sort of amount we are talking aoubt. teaspoons or teacups?

can yoiu tell if anti-freeze is there in the oil as well?

Is the water getting lower in the radiator? That is a sure sign you have hg probs.

Remember water is denser than oil so will sink to the bottom of your sump, as well as get mixed into an emulsion.

ChrisS

posted on 20/2/08 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote

when i took the sump off i actually did damage an O ring, but i replaced both of them with new ones, but im not sure if they were water pump drain pipes? Its difficult to tell how much water, but i think its teaspoon full rather than teacup full.

Having just wheeled the car out for a quick spin round the yard, ive now developed a misfire on no.2 (Well actually not firing at all). Havent taken the plug out yet, as my socket has gone missing, BUT could this also be a sign of a Head Gasket problem?

Im so gutted, as the car is now driveable and wanted to have a quick drive. ARGGHHH!

[Edited on 20/2/08 by ChrisS]

yorkshire-engines

posted on 20/2/08 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi it sound like condensation at first but the missfire may now prove different
run the engine till warm and remove the plug from missfiring cylinder if gasket has gone there will be steam coming from cyl and after a while if you spin engine over with plug out there will be a small amount of water pushed out
indicates head gasket or crack in head or jacket

cheers malc

ChrisS

posted on 21/2/08 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by yorkshire-engines
Hi it sound like condensation at first but the missfire may now prove different
run the engine till warm and remove the plug from missfiring cylinder if gasket has gone there will be steam coming from cyl and after a while if you spin engine over with plug out there will be a small amount of water pushed out
indicates head gasket or crack in head or jacket

cheers malc

What i dont understand is that the engine has been running fine for months in the idle/reving up situation. It hasnt been driven anywhere or overheated, so why would the head gasket go, or whead crack! Im puzzled. The only thing i didnt do was put coolant in it in case i needed to drain it before putting it on the road.

PS is head gasket replacment a difficult job, or just the same as doing a car?

I think theres a case of sods law here.

[Edited on 21/2/08 by ChrisS]

locoR1

posted on 21/2/08 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Assuming you haven’t run it for long with no coolant but have been starting it up at idle and just giving it a few revs every now and again, it could be the water is just condensation and the misfire is the plugs fouled up!

From experience bike engines have a habit of killing plugs if your just starting them and not actually using them!

A new set of plugs would be a good start assuming it fixes the misfire warm up to working temp and see what happens.

Dave..

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

ChrisS

posted on 21/2/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locoR1
Assuming you haven’t run it for long with no coolant but have been starting it up at idle and just giving it a few revs every now and again, it could be the water is just condensation and the misfire is the plugs fouled up!

From experience bike engines have a habit of killing plugs if your just starting them and not actually using them!

A new set of plugs would be a good start assuming it fixes the misfire warm up to working temp and see what happens.

Dave..

Strangely enough, ive just put a new set of plugs in at its sweet as a nut. So yes your spot on thanks. as for the condensation i think your right along with other opinions, and that is that R1's suffer with condensation, and the engine needs to be run properly to avoid this in future.

Thanks for everybodys help. Just for reference though, the expert opinion was that unless the engine had been seriously cooked it was unlikely the head gasket would have gone as their a triple layer steel and dont break up like old car ones used too even when stood for a long period of time.

Once again thanks all.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.