Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Nosecone widening
aerosam

posted on 9/3/08 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Nosecone widening

How easy is it to widen a nosecone? I now have my BMW 530 donor, and the (V8) engine is approx 27-28" wide at the widest point of the heads so it may not fit in a +4" chassis.

I'm planning on making all the rest of the bodywork from ally anyway so it's just a nosecone I need.

I know the Luego Viento is about 6 inches wider than book, perhaps they would just sell me a nose?

scotty g

posted on 9/3/08 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Form what i heard this week the problem with Luego is that they don't have anyone to do their fibreglassing so you may have to wait a VERY long time!
I'm surprised that the engine won't fit in a +4 chassis?

mark chandler

posted on 9/3/08 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Cut down the middle in big wavy line, cut a couple of bits of wood to hold the cut pieces apart, duck tape over the gap then backfill with fibreglass extending over the join.

When cured pull off the duct tape, now fill and grind the new material to shape.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 9/3/08 by mark chandler]

Simon

posted on 9/3/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
^^^What he said, but in picture form

Nosecone unmodified
Nosecone unmodified

Nosecone cut in two
Nosecone cut in two

Nosecone rough joined
Nosecone rough joined

See avatar for finished item.

ATB

Simon

aerosam

posted on 9/3/08 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Simon, although I notice you cut yours straight, is cutting in a wavy line critical? My only guess is that it would make the join stronger?
Simon

posted on 9/3/08 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
I can't cut wavy lines

ATB

Simon

Kaspa

posted on 10/3/08 at 01:06 AM Reply With Quote
once you cut the nose in half if you place a sheet off thin alloy on the topside and clamp that into position to follow the contour, pour on some gelcoat let that go tacky then fill with cloth impregnated resin, and jobs done.
i have just watched the experts widen my front splitter by 200mm to fit another car and was suprised at how easy it is to do, took about an hr from start to finnish
Kaspa

understeer= when you hit the wall front first
oversteer=when you hit the wall back first
HP= how fast you hit the wall
Torque= how far the wall moves when you hit it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rick q

posted on 10/3/08 at 02:53 AM Reply With Quote
When I widened my front guards, I glued a block of wood across the cut line, fitted in place with wedges. Then once I'd cut the guards, another strip of wood could be fixed to the original to firstly ensure that the two sides were still in the same relationship to each other, and secondly, ensure that the amount they were widened was consistent, end to end.

The photoes show it better :-

Before they're cut

After they're cut

Notice particularly the technically advanced wavy cut for added strength - NAH ... I can't cut straight to save myself

mark chandler

posted on 10/3/08 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Wavy line inceases the join area, its also helps you lose the effect of two straight line joins as the ends blend and gets rid of the risk of a crack as these tend to follow straight lines.

Wavy or zig zag is best IHMO.

Here's mine, +2" Rescued attachment small_front.JPG
Rescued attachment small_front.JPG

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.