Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Fire Extinguisher to MSA regs
mark chandler

posted on 9/3/08 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Fire Extinguisher to MSA regs

Chaps

When I used to race a landrover you had to have a minimum 2.5ltr Foam (AFFF) Fire Extinguisher.

Anyone know what it is for basic sprinting, hill climbs etc. I have had a google and it just seems to say you need one.

Regards Mark

madrallysport

posted on 9/3/08 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
Mark

over here we run to msa rules, we only need one hand held 2.5l AFFF.

UNDERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the front of the car.
OVERSTEER is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
HORSEPOWER is how fast you hit the wall.
TORQUE is how far you take the wall with you.

Rob Palin

posted on 9/3/08 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
THe 2008 Blue Book says that Sprint & Hill Climb cars must have 2.25 litre AFF extinguishers which discharge both into the engine bay and into the cockpit. There must be two points of activation too - one for the driver and one on the exterior for marshals.

They made this the minimum requirement a couple of years ago for circuit racing, but this is direct from the HillClimb & Sprint section of this year's book (pages 315 & 166).

bjw970s

posted on 9/3/08 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
If you need one, goto Peter Lloyd Rallying, about £90 - cheaper than most

As someone else once said 'LOCOST my Ar**

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
minitici

posted on 10/3/08 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
For Hillclimb and Sprints you DO NOT require a fire extinguisher - however it is recommended (P315 2008 MSA yearbook).
Rob Palin

posted on 10/3/08 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Page 315 is the bit i was quoting and i took what's written as that you *must* have an extinguisher but that the specific places it discharged into were only recommended, not mandatory (like choosing to aim one nozzle at the fuel tank, rather than an open cockpit, for example).

Interestingly it uses the same phrasing for roll over bars, whilst everything else specifically says "must comply" or "mandatory". It does say that "all cars must comply with the following" at the top of that section and i'd be surprised if a competition car of pretty much any description did not have to have a fire extinguisher though. It might be the case, but it doesn't seem like a good idea.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.