Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aly body panels - are pop rivets butch??
oldtimer

posted on 21/4/08 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Aly body panels - are pop rivets butch??

OK it is time to skin my chassis. The question is do I glue on the panels on the exterior and have lots of pop rivet heads showing - which could look quite mean, or, messy depending on how you feel about these things. Or bend it round, which is cleaner. Thoughts please. Exterior does mean you can pop rivet bracing too. How do exterior panels and rivets go on SVA??
Cheers

speedyxjs

posted on 21/4/08 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Im thinking about the same thing. I dont think rivets are an SVA issue. Im not to sure about which i prefer. Panels folded over does look neater but i also like the 50's look of rivets on the outside.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

oldtimer

posted on 21/4/08 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Exactly, SVA wise I do remember sombody talking about little inserts for the centre of rivet heads and don't know if this was SVA, cosmetic, or.. just my memory playing up.....
BenB

posted on 21/4/08 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
It's worth using sikaflex and rivets- you'll increase the chassis rigidity.

Personally for the bottom of the ali panel I'd fold them over then rivet from underneath.

Rivets are no problems for SVA.

It's worth considering using closed rivets for the chassis rivets. If you use normal open rivets water can get in through the holes in the middle of them and rot the chassis tubes from the inside out. You can seal them with a smear of silicone sealant but using closed rivets in the first place seems a better solution to me!! You really need a compressor powered rivet gun for closed rivets though...... Hand powered rivet guns will struggle....

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/4/08 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
rivets everywhere, love em looks proper race car then

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
foes

posted on 21/4/08 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

Personally for the bottom of the ali panel I'd fold them over then rivet from underneath.

It's worth considering using closed rivets for the chassis rivets. If you use normal open rivets water can get in through the holes in the middle of them and rot the chassis tubes from the inside out. You can seal them with a smear of silicone sealant but using closed rivets in the first place seems a better solution to me!! You really need a compressor powered rivet gun for closed rivets though...... Hand powered rivet guns will struggle....

Yep, closed rivets for sure, mine were supplied by ian gray at stuart taylor 4.8mm large head jobbies, all rivetted by hand

I went through the same dilema for weeks, but ended up going for folded edges and rivetting from underneath and inside so no rivets are visible on the exterior, looks much neater i must say.

Bluemoon

posted on 21/4/08 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
Personal preference.. About where to have you rivets.. Personally like clean looking side panels, so bent them over..

If you have not got you rivets I would have a chat to primary fastener http://www.prifast.co.uk/
great guy he will sort you out with decent multi grip Avex rivets (these are sealed even though they are not "closed" rivets), as opposed to the cheap pop type.. He also sells a half decent hand rivet tool to pull them as well..

Dan

[Edited on 21/4/08 by Bluemoon]

procomp

posted on 21/4/08 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
Hi did somebody mention loads of RIVETS. It's not a proper car unless it's got a min of 4000 in.

Description
Description
[/img]

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Bluemoon

posted on 21/4/08 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
Nice... Like the look 8d spacing spot on!..

Dan

speedyxjs

posted on 21/4/08 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
^^^

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/4/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
that looks so

Davey D

posted on 21/4/08 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Im sure Landrover shells have lots of rivets on the outside holding them together?

iank

posted on 21/4/08 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldtimer
Exactly, SVA wise I do remember sombody talking about little inserts for the centre of rivet heads and don't know if this was SVA, cosmetic, or.. just my memory playing up.....

You can get little plastic caps that go over rivets. Purely cosmetic I think.

Picture in this thread
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=57916
Though Prifast don't have them on their website anymore so I don't know where you'd get them.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

BenB

posted on 21/4/08 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by foes
quote:
Originally posted by BenB

Yep, closed rivets for sure, mine were supplied by ian gray at stuart taylor 4.8mm large head jobbies, all rivetted by hand

I went through the same dilema for weeks, but ended up going for folded edges and rivetting from underneath and inside so no rivets are visible on the exterior, looks much neater i must say.

you must have fore-arm muscles like Arnie!!! I used the same STM 4.8mm's and they're a PITA to do by hand!! Infact, I broke 2 rivet guns trying to do them!!

aerosam

posted on 21/4/08 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
Would one of these make it easier?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cht132-lazy-tongs-riveter/path/staplers-riveters-2

Or would you already be using one?

Dangle_kt

posted on 21/4/08 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi did somebody mention loads of RIVETS. It's not a proper car unless it's got a min of 4000 in.

Description
Description
[/img]

Cheers Matt

LOVE IT!

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/4/08 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
I have lazy tongs, brill but you have to rememeber to pull them towards you when the rivet is about to snap as otherwise the tong will smack the car and leave a dent

blakep82

posted on 21/4/08 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
quote:
Originally posted by procomp

Description
Description
[/img]

Cheers Matt

LOVE IT!

yeah, thats hot

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/4/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Though not in the same league rivet number wise I thought this side pod turned out well, used counter sunk rivets. Rescued attachment side pod.jpg
Rescued attachment side pod.jpg

MikeR

posted on 21/4/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
What's the idiot way of spacing the rivets so they look evenly spaced ?

Seem to recall being at a pub meet in 2002 (ish) and someone saying that you make up a sliding jig using some wood or steel and .....

my memory goes blank at this point.

(and yes, that does look pretty damn fine Matt. Seem to recall someone on here had problems with the locost formula for doing something similar in its early days. People where complaining it made the chassis a monocoque or something).

blakep82

posted on 21/4/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
^ a peice of metal (angle perhaps to get the right spacing both on the tube and between rivets?) with 2 holes in it at the correct distance apart? drill, put something in the new hole and the one in the angle, drill through the next hole, etc

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/4/08 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

Seem to recall being at a pub meet in 2002 (ish) and someone saying that you make up a sliding jig using some wood or steel and .....

(and yes, that does look pretty damn fine Matt. Seem to recall someone on here had problems with the locost formula for doing something similar in its early days. People where complaining it made the chassis a monocoque or something).

I just put the two end ones in, then put one in the centre of those two and repeat the same process, that way the spacing is identical for that row. Best to draw a line with a black permanent pen and make the rivet positions before you drill. White sprit removes the pen marks. Oh and a centre punch prevents any nasty accidents.

[Edited on 21/4/08 by Mr Whippy]

paulf

posted on 21/4/08 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
You could make a jig but i used a pair of dividers .I just scribed a line 1/2 inch from the edge of panel and then decided on the spacing and marked out with dividers and centre punch, its a bit slower but by the time you have made a jig and set it up probably not much more work.Just remember to mark out the back of the panels as it takes a lot of polishing to remove scriber marks.
I made the panels flat on the side of the car rather than overlapping the tubes as i thought it would be more rigid than a folded panel secured the opposite side of the tube, also much easier to do and the rivets dont look out of place on a seven .
Paul.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR

Bluemoon

posted on 21/4/08 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paulf,

Yep rivets on the outside of the side panels probably increases chassis stiffness particularly if you rivet all tubes as pro comps pic. If you put them on the fold so you can't see them I doubt it adds any more stiffness at all.

Dan

posted on 21/4/08 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
There's a tool that looks like the expanding bit of a lazy tongs riveter with a hole in every pivot.

It's used in aircraft construction, but I believe they use proper (solid) rivets.

Paul G

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.