Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Silencer tightly or loosely pack
mad-butcher

posted on 28/6/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Silencer tightly or loosely pack

need to repack my old MK silencer, bought some loose f/glass packing reccommended 3 packs, the instructions say pack tightly some-one said pack loosely as if you pack too tightly it will make it noisier
thoughts please
Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Phil.J

posted on 28/6/08 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Too loose and it will allow the hot gasses to get into the wadding and burn it away. Rammed too tight and it can't asbsorb the pressure waves. It needs to be packed firmly but not rammed absolutely solid.
Fibre glass isn't very good, it soon burns. Use propper silencer packing available off Ebay.

[Edited on 28/6/08 by Phil.J]

mad-butcher

posted on 28/6/08 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
would that be the full length of the silencer
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Avoneer

posted on 28/6/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yes.

Car Builder Solutions do a bog roll shaped pack on a carboard tube the same diameter as the internal tube on the MK can.

Just slide it in - done and dusted in two minutes.

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

posted on 28/6/08 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
I would compress it to half its thickness, i.e. 50mm down to 25mm.

HTH
Paul G

BenB

posted on 28/6/08 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
You want neither too tight or too loosely packed

A very female secret option C is required

skodaman

posted on 29/6/08 at 02:05 AM Reply With Quote
Use rockwool(basalt) rather than glassfibre as will last longer and pack fairly tight.

Skodaman

bimbleuk

posted on 29/6/08 at 05:01 AM Reply With Quote
You can wrap stainless wire wool around the tube to help protect the wadding.
Russ-Turner

posted on 29/6/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
This can be a complete b@stard to get right, especially if a) you are getting noise tested at a race circuit and b) they carry out the noise testing when you are on your way out of the pitlane for your first session meaning if it goes tits up you don't have time to sort it! Highest reading I've had was 117 db. Heard a rumour France is going to a blanket 102 db next year. Not sure if that's true though. Our new car sits at 107 db but the silencer looks like we have taken it from our tractor unit. It's huge.

adithorp

posted on 29/6/08 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
Did anybody see the silencer wadding "blanket" on a roll at Newark? It looked like you rolled it around the perforated tube and said somthing about it fuseing together the first time it heated up. I meant to go back and speak to them about it.

adrian

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.