Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Generic versus premium engine oil?
tegwin

posted on 30/6/08 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
Generic versus premium engine oil?

My hot hatch is due an engine oil change about now...

Last time I filled it with Castrol GTX shiny stuff.....However that stuff is expensive...

Is it really worth the premium, or would the standard "motaquip" oil from my local parts supplier be just as good at keeping the engine lubed up under quite harsh conditions (I have a cast iron right foot!)

Dont really want to cause damage to the enigne, but likewise I dont want to cause damage to my wallet

[Edited on 30/6/08 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/6/08 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
do you hate your car?

then put crap oil in it

otherwise - http://www.redlineoil.com/products_motoroil.asp?categoryID=1

[Edited on 30/6/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 30/6/08 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
there are 3 things on any car that I'm always happy to spend a little more on:
1 - tyres
2 - brake pads
3 - oil

I've used castrol gtx for years and had no issues and its not that expensive (doesn't need to be the magnatec stuff)

what kind of car is it anyway?

[Edited on 30/6/08 by mcerd1]

britishtrident

posted on 30/6/08 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Put a decent oil in (and by decent oil I don't mean GTX !),

Tesco are doing 4 litres 5w/40 and 5w30 part synthetic or fully at decent prices or 5 litres Halfords 5w/40 fully synthetic is 24 quid this month.

mcerd1

posted on 30/6/08 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtridentPut a decent oil in (and by decent oil I don't mean GTX !),

nothing wrong with it for ordinary crappy tin tops

robinj66

posted on 30/6/08 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
it's not the oil per se but the additive package that changes from generic to premium.

Depends on how "hot" your hatch is, what age/mileage and how hard you drive it.

Newer,hotter and faster means more expensive oil to prevent damage.

Sorry

adithorp

posted on 30/6/08 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just make sure it has the API code. Don't use one that hasn't. Watch out for the ones that claim to be upto..., equivilent to... (or similar spurious wording) which means they haven't actually been tested.

adrian

britishtrident

posted on 30/6/08 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Big difference is that synthetic oils just don't break down to anything like the degree of mineral oils.
Not only will a fully synthetic retain its lubrication qualities but the engine oil ways and sump with remain clean and free from tarry deposits and varnish.

This is why oil change intervals have been greatly extended to 15,000 or 20,000 miles from 3,000 or 5,000 miles intervals in the 1950's through to the late 1980's

The contrast is really amazing if you ever strip two similar engines one that has run on a fully synthetic the other on even a top quality mineral oil.

Running a modern injection engine on fully synthetic from new with no oil changes but with oil filter changes every year there is no reason why the oil should not be able to do 100,000 miles without intermediate oil changes at the end of which the engine would still be much cleaner internally than an engine running on mineral oil over the same mileage with oil changes every 5,000 miles.

Look on the web and you will find loads of supporting test evidence.

[Edited on 30/6/08 by britishtrident]

britishtrident

posted on 30/6/08 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Originally posted by britishtridentPut a decent oil in (and by decent oil I don't mean GTX !),

nothing wrong with it for ordinary crappy tin tops

Crappy tin tops do lot more cold starts than cherished Locosts, 90+% of engine wear occurs during cold starts.

As an example consider 15w/40 mineral oil in say a Rover T16 engine and on a really cold morning it takes 30+ plus seconds for the oil to get through to the hydraulic tappets.
In the same conditions running on 0w/40 or 5w/40 the tappets are silenced almost instantly.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Russ-Turner

posted on 30/6/08 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
do you hate your car?

then put crap oil in it

otherwise - http://www.redlineoil.com/products_motoroil.asp?categoryID=1

[Edited on 30/6/08 by Mr Whippy]

We are Red Line agents. I personally wouldn't use any thing else.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tomblyth

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
vauxhall semi synthetic is about £12 a gallon and its OK
mark chandler

posted on 30/6/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
As earlier on, its the API figure that counts, its works on the alphabet so A is lowest quaility, Z would be best but I have never seen better than K !

GTX is probally around an H, halfords semi synthetic is J so better.

mark chandler

posted on 30/6/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
As earlier on, its the API figure that counts, its works on the alphabet so A is lowest quaility, Z would be best but I have never seen better than K !

GTX is probally around an H, halfords semi synthetic is J so better.

adithorp

posted on 30/6/08 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
The first letter is either S or C for spark or compresion ignition (thats petrol or diesel to you and me) the second is the standard. SJ, SL and SM are the current standards and the highest C is CJ.

The Vauxhall oil is one of those that isn't actually accredited but claims to meet the spec' unless they've put thier hand in thier pocket recently and paid to get it independently checked. 2 things make quality oil dearer; advertising/sponsership and accreditation testing. Semi-synthetic should be 50/50 mix of mineral and synthetic but often isn't in cheaper brands (should legally be listed as synthetic blend).

adrian

flak monkey

posted on 30/6/08 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
I use Castrol magnatec (semi synth) in the MR2 and Castrol Edge Sport (fully synth) in the GTS. Expensive though...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.