Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: motorcycle licencing? :S
takumi

posted on 29/10/08 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
motorcycle licencing? :S

hi all, im investigating all the routes to getting a full bike licence, -after spending a little too much time thinking about it..

I have a full uk car licence, and initially wanted to do a direct access course, but..

will I be able to do a cbt, and drive a upto a 125cc (restricted11KW) with L-plates? to spend a few months riding on the roads before thinking about a direct access course?

If not what things do I need and what will I need to consider before I can ride a 125cc on the road with L Plates,

I'm sure there are some experts on here..!

thanks

Tak

[Edited on 29-10-08 by takumi]

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

MikeRJ

posted on 29/10/08 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by takumi
I have a full uk car licence, and initially wanted to do a direct access course, but..

will I be able to do a cbt, and drive a upto a 125cc (11KW) with L-plates? to spend a few months riding on the roads before thinking about a direct access course?

Yes, you have two years in which to pass your test after the CBT, or you can take another CBT and get another 2 years. Quite why anyone would want to putter around on a wheezy 125cc bike for more than two years is beyond me however!

takumi

posted on 29/10/08 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
i know, but im sure they will be perfect for road experience!hehe

So I will need to book a CBT , and do I need to do anything for the dvla, or will my car licence suffice (05/2001) I have these catagories B,B1, f,k,p (122)

[Edited on 29-10-08 by takumi]

RobinHood 2B 2.0i pinto, Keihin 38mm Carbs, lightened flywheel, O'Mori remote filter kit, 10 row oil cooler. Modified head, 10.2cr, special valves FR22 cam, 4- 1 header.

Miks15

posted on 29/10/08 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
depending on when you passed your car license, u might not even need to take a cbt. My dad for example doesnt need a cbt to ride a 125.

Edit to say:

The date is 1st Feb 2001, so if you passed before then you wont need a cbt

[Edited on 29/10/08 by Miks15]

r1_pete

posted on 29/10/08 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Why not just talk to a motorcycle training school? most motorcycle centres will be able to put you in touch with a school.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeRJ

posted on 29/10/08 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
A full car licence automatically gives you provisional motorcycle entitlement, so there's no need to send it off to the DVLA.

Actually, scratch that, you don't appear to have category A which covers you for bikes, I guess you didn't ask for a provisional motorcycle licence when you applied for you car licence? You will need to get this added.

[Edited on 29/10/08 by MikeRJ]

Peteff

posted on 29/10/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15
depending on when you passed your car license, u might not even need to take a cbt. My dad for example doesnt need a cbt to ride a 125.

Edit to say:

That date only applies to mopeds, if you want to ride a motorcycle you have to take a CBT unless

* Passed a full moped test after 1 December 1990
* Live and ride on specified offshore islands
* Already hold a Certificate of Completion (DL196) obtained during a previous motorcycle entitlement or when riding a moped
* Intend to ride a moped and passed the car tests before 1st Feb 2001

Go to a training school and ask them to explain the rules, they are a minefield. I was talking to someone who thought he could ride pillion on a learner as he had a full license and would not believe that it is now illegal to carry passengers if you have L plates.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

MikeRJ

posted on 29/10/08 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Miks15

Edit to say:

Cut off date is 1st September 1997 for 125cc bikes. The 2001 cut off is for mopeds.

bartonp

posted on 29/10/08 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone know which of the govt sites this is explained on?
Moorron

posted on 29/10/08 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Can i just confirm this. You can ride a bike or moped without a CBT if you passed your car liscence before 97?

I passed in 95 and my liscence shows catagories
B, BE, C1, C1E, D1, D1E and f, k, l, n, p and 01 right at the bottom.

I was looking at getting a bike but she told me off.

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

Peteff

posted on 29/10/08 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
No-one is allowed on the road without CBT now.

The law according to the bike training site

From 1 January 1997 all learner moped and motorcycle riders irrespective of when a licence was issued must have completed a Compulsory Basic Training [CBT] ...

That's from Mike's bikes.

Have a read on Bike Chat

I ride a bike and have done since I was 16 but I had to take CBT, I have had a license for 40 years. I still ride a bike and a friend of mine owns the local bike shop. Just because the entitlement is there does not mean you can jump on a bike and ride it out of the shop. I still have heavy road roller and HGV stuff on my license but would not be allowed to run one without the appropriate instruction.

Government site for requirements

[Edited on 29/10/08 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/10/08 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
As usually you’ll get the why do you want a little 125????!!!! blah blah… Personally I just shake my heard at those who come out with this rubbish that a 600cc bike or LOL a 1000cc one is the only way to go as with their fuel and tyre costs I'd might as well just use the car. I sometimes wonder if the only thing most bikers are interested in is how fast they can kill themselves, certainly sounds that way when on the forums, no wonder the death rate for bikes is so high. The concept that they have to stick to the speed limit like everyone else doesn’t seem to have sunk in yet, so what exactly the use of a 170mph bike is to anyone is rather like as much point of driving a F1 car to work

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 29/10/08 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
125 is the perfect route to take to see if you like riding a bike on the road.

I used to like it, but now its so much of a chore I prefer doing track days.

I would sugest getting a few months under your belt on a 125, and then get on a track day school and hire a bigger bike if you can.

If you try a big bike but dont like it then you've paid a fortune for insurance, a bomb for the bike and you will loose out big time. So first try a track day and see what the fuss is about.

I ride supermoto becuase the track days are £40 open pitlane, instead of £200+ for a 20 min session every hour.

You will get bored on a 125 on the road though. unless maybe its a aprillia rs125, but then that is more than 11kw so must be restricted.

I got a honda city fly 125 when my bike was in for a service once. It was buzzy, slow, handled like a pogo stick and was badly built vs a proper bike. But thats just 4t 125's built to meet euro emisions - they are never very good.

Whilst i agree with what Mr Whippy is saying, I do think that you will want more than a 125 soon. They have all the bad bits of biking (rain, crashabilty, no storage etc.) but none of the good stuff (good handling, quicker than almost any car to 60mph, wheelies, stoppies, kerb jumping etc.)

I suggest a nice 400 like a cbr400rr or maybe an sv650s would be a good bike to progress to if you decide to step up after you pass your driect access.

What do you plan on using it for?

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/10/08 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_ktbut none of the good stuff (good handling, quicker than almost any car to 60mph, wheelies, stoppies, kerb jumping etc.)

Don’t know about the top speed but even my old cg125 leaves most cars standing at the lights and around town due to the speed it goes through the gears. That was one thing that surprised me when I got it. My CBR125 is turning out to be even nippier, sure it's no where close to a larger bike but for normal riding and by that I mean riding within legal limits... I can't see any need for me to get something faster. Maybe I'm just getting older and wiser

[Edited on 29/10/08 by Mr Whippy]

Dangle_kt

posted on 29/10/08 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I accept round town a 125 will more than keep up with traffic, but you go to the country to have a bit of a blast, and turns out to be more of a wheeze...
tomgregory2000

posted on 29/10/08 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
go direct i did and newer looked back, well only for lifesavers and the police
if you do the only advice i would give is take it easy, ride at your own pace dont try and keep up with others coz thats when you have a crash. oh and enjoy it

Simon

posted on 29/10/08 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly ot, but I find the most irritating people are those on mopeds with riding around in 2's and 3's. Most m'clists (and me till I sold my bike) I know ride according to the limit and conditions and I see no reason why when conditions are good the throttle can't be rung a bit.

Bit like my car really

ATB

Simon

Benzine

posted on 29/10/08 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm looking at getting my bike license soon (I've got my HGV license test tomorrow, eek! If i get my bike license then I'll have the whole set!)

Can anyone recommend a 125cc that is cheap, robust, easy to work on?

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/10/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
I'm looking at getting my bike license soon (I've got my HGV license test tomorrow, eek! If i get my bike license then I'll have the whole set!)

Can anyone recommend a 125cc that is cheap, robust, easy to work on?

The Honda CBR125 is quite nice looking and dependable, not as much top end power as one of the 2 stroke bikes but those have a lot more maintenance issues due to carbon fouling. It’ll do about 85mph before it redlines 70 is easy. It has narrow tyres that are cheap to replace and disk brakes all round. Quite soft suspension which is good for town driving but can get unsettled on high speed country roads but nothing dangerous. You can buy adjustable dampers to sort that.

My old CG125 is pretty much bomb proof, admittedly it has all the looks of a tractor but it is as cheap as could be for maintenance , top speeds only about 60mph flat out but if your new to bikes then that's fast enough, round town it's as nippy as a hot hatch. It’s quite high to sit on though and not as easy to ride very slow as the lower CBR (that took about 10 seconds to get happy with), that’s quite important if you want to cut through traffic jams (why I got mine).

Stay away from all the cheap Chinese bikes, they really are just junk, you wouldn't believe the things I've heard breaking on them. A CG can be about £400-600 for a good running example, a CBR about 1k. Both are incredible on fuel, £3 a week easy and just £15 a year on roadtax!

takumi

posted on 30/10/08 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Thanks for all the great replies, really good topic.

I'm looking at maybe an aprilia rs125, nsr125, yzf-r125 , or what ever fits the bill when I come to actually buying one..

I secretely want a v-twin ducati the sound is just amazing.

My licence doesn't have a prov motorcycle onit, so I'm going to get that added, then book a CBT, and see if I'm still interested..!

thanks again all,

tak

Benzine

posted on 30/10/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks whippy!

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

Peteff

posted on 31/10/08 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
All you will have to do to a CG125 is change the oil and check the chain, an updated version is the City Runner which is a trail bike style and is comfortable but tends to draw attention (as in get nicked) more often. We had 75mph out of a CG125 but the vibration was something else. Four stroke is the way to go for an easy life but if you want a laugh get a Yamaha DT125 stroker.

Takumi, don't get the Aprilia if you want something reliable and don't get the Ducati unless you are rich, the exhaust may sound nice but when you pull the clutch in on tickover you won't hear it over the rattle.

[Edited on 31/10/08 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

takumi

posted on 1/11/08 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Direct Access

I went down to see a local company that does motorcycle tution, cbts, advanced driving and direct Access Schemes. The chap down there seemed a nice guy, and met a few past students who had poped in. Anyone heard anything un-positive about ..

http://www.cbtrainingservice.co.uk/

They're based at Bentwaters, ideal for learner drivers/riders.

I think I'm going to book a direct access course, 20 or so hours 1:2 tution, including cbt, theory and practical fees included in the package. (DAS ful package not listed on the site)

oh dear what am I doing..

[Edited on 1-11-08 by takumi]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.