Board logo

Track rod ends, Only 7 turns!
PuppiesBalls - 7/2/11 at 09:59 AM

Good morning gents, I fitted my track rod ends this weekend, i noticed that there only threadded on by 7 full turns, is this going to be enough?
its the standard m14x2 thread which i think means that there screwed on about 14mm (7turns times pitch)
Does anybody know if thats enough?

loggyboy - 7/2/11 at 10:27 AM

14mm seams loads to me, even at 1.5 pitch, 7 turns would seem adequate to me, (famous last words).

MikeRJ - 7/2/11 at 10:32 AM

The rule of thumb I was taught (if both threaded parts are made of the same material) is 65% of the nominal diameter should be engaged or a minimum of 5 turns, whichever the greater i.e. for M14 it would be 14 * 0.65 = 9.1mm, but with a 2 mm pitch 5 turns is 10mm which should be the minimum. Seems you have an adequate margin!

PuppiesBalls - 7/2/11 at 10:36 AM

Awesome! seems im just being a bit of a worryguts

coyoteboy - 7/2/11 at 10:50 AM

PuppiesBalls - 7/2/11 at 10:56 AM

Neville Jones - 7/2/11 at 12:00 PM

My 'rule of thumb' that I was taught, was that you should have a minimum of the bolt diameter in the female thread.

Not all thumbs are the same, as it appears.

Cheers,
Nev.

MikeRJ - 7/2/11 at 01:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Neville Jones
My 'rule of thumb' that I was taught, was that you should have a minimum of the bolt diameter in the female thread.

Not all thumbs are the same, as it appears.

Cheers,
Nev.

An M14 full nut only ~11mm deep, so that rule would be impossible...

coyoteboy - 7/2/11 at 03:46 PM

Personally I prefer a much deeper insertion on something that's going to take bending loads in odd circumstances, the deeper the insertion the less chance of splitting the end of the female side of things in an impact.

britishtrident - 24/2/11 at 08:24 AM

Theory says no bending loads on a track rod provided it is 100% straight but it is a strut in compression with this in mind I would regard 7 turns at 2mm pitch is just about acceptable but it leaves zero margin for adjustment.

[Edited on 24/2/11 by britishtrident]