Board logo

Screen/ Roll bar
johnwilders - 12/6/13 at 09:20 PM

Hi Peeps
I’m thinking of wimping out and fitting a full screen to my locost but rather than fitting the usual screen surround, fitting a front roll bar with the legs dropping through the edge of the scuttle to the chassis and a lower bar hugging the top of the scuttle, join the new front hoop to the rear hoop to complete the cage and to support wet gear then bond a screen to the front hoop all round. This is a fun road car that maybe will go on the odd track day. Has anyone done this

iank - 12/6/13 at 09:48 PM

I've seen it done on a 7 somewhere, but can't remember where.

Midlana has the windscreen mounted to the front hoop.

Pictures here -> http://www.midlana.com/Diaries/Old%20Diaries/2012Jan_Dec/

mark chandler - 12/6/13 at 10:24 PM

I have done it on a landrover I used to race.

You weld some 1/2" flat on the inside of the hoop, make a plywood template for the glass so you can get some laminated glass cut, then glue in with plenty of silicon. Make sure that the glass does not touch any of the metal, use some little packers.

Job done

johnwilders - 12/6/13 at 10:33 PM

Thanks ian, im going to newark at the weekend i,ll have to have a poke around

iank - 12/6/13 at 11:17 PM

Found another picture, this time a beach buggy

blakep82 - 12/6/13 at 11:23 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
I have done it on a landrover I used to race.

You weld some 1/2" flat on the inside of the hoop, make a plywood template for the glass so you can get some laminated glass cut, then glue in with plenty of silicon. Make sure that the glass does not touch any of the metal, use some little packers.

Job done

Yep, but surely polyurethane sikaflex tigerseal etc is the right stuff?

snapper - 13/6/13 at 06:25 AM

Just what I'm planning but retrofit roll cage to an already fitted screen so the wet weather gear still fits

johnwilders - 13/6/13 at 06:37 AM

quote:

Yep, but surely polyurethane sikaflex tigerseal etc is the right stuff?

Yup, Absolutely I would never use silicone for something like that. I luv PU, Clean then Prime with windscreen primer & it sticks
like SH 1 T just dont get it on your hands coz it will be there for a week. I usually manage to do that just before I'm due to meet one of my kids new partners parents or got a wedding to go to.

Barkalarr - 13/6/13 at 06:59 AM

You should also try to fit some side deflectors to the side of the screen to stop the buffeting in your right ear when your wet gear isn't on.
I had a standard screen on my Indy and it was just unbearable at 60 - only fixed by wearing a lid which sort of defeated the object. If you could stop that, that would make your drive awesome on a sunny day.

johnwilders - 13/6/13 at 09:25 AM

Yes I have experienced the buffeting in my sons Dutton, we also tried some side deflectors but they didn’t do anything the wind just whips round the end up your nose in you right ear & out of your left. It seems that once you take the screen option you have to use full side screens as well. Fit them & you can actually see, breath & talk to each other.