Board logo

IRS
v8james - 19/9/14 at 12:58 PM

I am constructing a new chassis and want to go for IRS (like Haynes Roadster).
Does anyone know where I can get drawings, including sizes, for the the diff cage and rear hubs.

James

loggyboy - 19/9/14 at 01:02 PM

Umm 'How to build a sports car', published by Haynes??

Slimy38 - 19/9/14 at 01:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Umm 'How to build a sports car', published by Haynes??

What he said. The original '...for £200' book was the fixed rear axle, the '...on a budget' from Haynes updates the chassis for a Sierra IRS set up. This can then be easily adapted to suit other donors such as the MX5.

v8james - 19/9/14 at 01:16 PM

Thanks very helpful, but would prefer not to buy the book just for the size of the diff cage.

liam.mccaffrey - 19/9/14 at 01:58 PM

is that info in the Rorty drawings for IRS???

linky

[Edited on 19/9/14 by liam.mccaffrey]

v8james - 19/9/14 at 02:15 PM

quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
is that info in the Rorty drawings for IRS???

linky

[Edited on 19/9/14 by liam.mccaffrey]

Thanks, thats exactly what I need.

snapper - 19/9/14 at 02:28 PM

Tight wad
The books only £20 and will provide drawings for wishbone jigs etc
Worth keeping on the shelf

loggyboy - 19/9/14 at 02:30 PM

I'm not even building my own chassis, and I have it as a general reference.

not even £20 Build Your Own Sports Car On Budget Step by Step Chassis Suspension Haynes Book 1844253910

v8james - 19/9/14 at 02:40 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
I'm not even building my own chassis, and I have it as a general reference.

not even £20 Build Your Own Sports Car On Budget Step by Step Chassis Suspension Haynes Book 1844253910

Thanks but have the original book and have already built a chassis 10 years ago. I have almost finished building a new chassis and just need to made the diff box for the IRS. Just wanted something to compare my own design to to made sure I was in the ballpark.

Simon - 19/9/14 at 07:25 PM

Do what I did (long before anyone else did irs commercially ) - get a sheet of plyboard so you can draw a cross section of chassis and draw what yo want on to that. Bear in mind front diff mountings only need to be flat plate (3mm) cut to fit diff and back of trans tunnel. Build the rest accordingly including some triangulation.

May be some pics in my archive

ATB

Simon