Board logo

Bike can or proper silencer
GOJO - 15/7/12 at 10:05 AM

Cant decide what to fit after iva is a bike can going to cope with it ? Is it going to be too loud? And then theres the fact they dont point the gases exactly where you want them ?????????

Anyone have experience of both on a big bike engine?

Hellfire - 15/7/12 at 12:56 PM

You have the choice of a custom silencer, a standard bike can or a straight through race can. The race cans will give you more power but will be louder. Both can be modified with a 90 degree tube to direct exhaust gasses where you want. I prefer the sound and power of an aftermarket straight-through race can. Earplugs are available if you find it too loud.....

Phil

[Edited on 15-7-12 by Hellfire]

PAUL FISHER - 15/7/12 at 01:25 PM

Ive fitted a Motad carbon can, its in between a race can and a proper silencer, details here

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=168555

Custardpants - 15/7/12 at 09:47 PM

I have a titanium akrapovic can if you want it...i have kept my old MK can on the car as the titanium can was so much lighter I would need to re-corner weight the car(!)

Steve Hignett - 16/7/12 at 05:23 AM

Buy a decent, well made (very large) silencer made specifically for the car.
OK, it's probably going to be dearer than the other options but it'll be a lot quieter, sound better (in my humble opinion) and perform the best.
Oh, and dependant on what you spend, could be the lightest too!

Theres plenty of exhaust manufacturers out there, some may have even made cans for the 14 before so may be able to quote you over the phone, perhaps?

bobinspain - 16/7/12 at 08:05 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Custardpants
I have a titanium akrapovic can if you want it...i have kept my old MK can on the car as the titanium can was so much lighter I would need to re-corner weight the car(!)

The MK unit is a good compromise in that it looks good and sounds pokey without being deafening, although when I drive up our hill to the villa, other urbanisation dwellers say "I heard you take the car out yesterday." That's from 100 metres away!
I also bought the identical-looking can with cat' included from MK for the emissions test here. Swapped after the (successful) test and now stored in the garage for next test in 3 years time.
It's many a moon since I did track-days, but my standard Lotus 340-R (a pussy cat in noise terms compared to the MK), was on the limit for entry to Goodwood.

carse - 16/7/12 at 12:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Custardpants

Custardpants, I've U2U'd you about the can.

Cheers,

Sean