Board logo

busa starter clutch tool
:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 29/6/09 at 09:26 PM

is there a need to use a starter clutch holding tool if removing the clutch on a busa? or any other special tools needed?

Tonto1 - 30/6/09 at 03:06 PM

You don't need the special clutch tool if you're engine is still in the car, just pop it in gear and stick the hand brake on.

In a Westy you can relatively easily access the clutch with the engine still in the car!!

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 30/6/09 at 08:46 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Tonto1
You don't need the special clutch tool if you're engine is still in the car, just pop it in gear and stick the hand brake on.

In a Westy you can relatively easily access the clutch with the engine still in the car!!

yea thats what i thought but needed the verdict of the panel - theres always a good tip comes from the forum...

matt_gsxr - 30/6/09 at 08:54 PM

Assuming a GSXR1100 is similar to a GSXR1300....

I tried the above trick and couldn't get enough welly on it to undo the nut. There are two nuts; one is big (i.e. 50 odd mm, and that isn't so tight, 90 lb ft) and that is manageable, the other one is smaller and is really tight.

I ended up buying a air gun thing, this is great for undoing the nut. It is more difficult to torque it up correctly, but if you take a photo of how tight it should be then.....

I used this technique and it seemed to work and it was suggested on the oldskool suzuki forum, but please take the normal "forum consideration" when deciding what to do!

Matt

[edited for grammar, you never know if your mum might be on the forum! although I think it unlikely now I am 40 ;-) ]

[Edited on 30/6/09 by matt_gsxr]

:{THC}:YosamiteSam - 30/6/09 at 09:11 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Assuming a GSXR1100 is similar to a GSXR1300....

I tried the above trick and couldn't get enough welly on it to undo the nut. There are two nuts; one is big (i.e. 50 odd mm, and that isn't so tight, 90 lb ft) and that is manageable, the other one is smaller and is really tight.

I ended up buying a air gun thing, this is great for undoing the nut. It is more difficult to torque it up correctly, but if you take a photo of how tight it should be then.....

I used this technique and it seemed to work and it was suggested on the oldskool suzuki forum, but please take the normal "forum consideration" when deciding what to do!

Matt

[edited for grammar, you never know if your mum might be on the forum! although I think it unlikely now I am 40 ;-) ]

[Edited on 30/6/09 by matt_gsxr]

i dont think ill need to take off the clutch basket - just the plates all being well - i dont think they are goosed but best to check before a hefty bill ensues.

will check the clutch spring length - (23.7mm)

also the clutch bearing too whilst its out - make a decision on what to order up if needed

matt_gsxr - 30/6/09 at 09:24 PM

sorry I need to learn to read more carefully.

for just the plates it isn't so bad (that is the big nut). Popping in gear with the handbrake is the right solution.

I assume you have that monster circlip too. More tricky than you might expect.

Matt