Board logo

Thinking of B.E.C next
marcjagman - 3/9/09 at 06:30 PM

As I am now able to find time for a new project I'm thinking of a BEC, but I have a question, where do you buy the reverse gearbox from? or whatever fancy title they give it.

mistergrumpy - 3/9/09 at 06:34 PM

MNR have a new one out that's supposed to be a solid thing with little friction loss and there's the quaife one which from reviews tend to dump their oil. These pop up on Ebay a lot. Or else you can go the sprocket and starter motor route which I believe MK sell.

adithorp - 3/9/09 at 06:39 PM

The MNR one looks/feels a very nice bit of kit.

adrian

andrewcutchey - 3/9/09 at 06:53 PM

There is a Westfield one on Ebay right now

irvined - 3/9/09 at 07:37 PM

MNR one would have been my choice if i'd known about it a week or two earlier - ended up with a quaife unit. The MNR unit felt a lot more solid with less backlash.

I think its cheaper too.

Major Stare - 4/9/09 at 10:46 PM

Save money and weight, dont bother. A BEC is so light, just push it

Scott W - 5/9/09 at 10:57 AM

I currently have an old FR2000 unit in my car (came with the car as I bought the card 2nd hand) and to be honest, we've locked the thing in forward drive as the unit is crap. Has this affected us in anyway, no! TBH we are going to remove the box and not replace it because as the earlier post says, you can simply push the car.

My wife has become quite good at jumping out of the passenger seat and pushing the car whilst I'm still sat in it!

iank - 5/9/09 at 11:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Major Stare
Save money and weight, dont bother. A BEC is so light, just push it

While fine (for some values of fine) previously in the days of SVA, IVA requires a working reverse.

iank - 5/9/09 at 11:24 AM

Completely left field solution - build a three wheeler - and save even more weight.
I believe MEV are going to launch an R1 powered one at Stafford.
MSVA is also a LOT cheaper and easier than IVA.

Guinness - 5/9/09 at 11:28 AM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
Completely left field solution - build a three wheeler - and save even more weight.
I believe MEV are going to launch an R1 powered one at Stafford.
MSVA is also a LOT cheaper and easier than IVA.

Interesting idea. Always loved the Malone Skunk myself, but being 400 miles from them sort of stopped the idea in its tracks.

I wonder if you could build a 3 wheeler, MSVA it, then add the fourth wheel?

Mike