Board logo

bike carbs for pinto
55ant - 3/9/09 at 10:19 AM

im after a bike carb setup for a mk running a 2.1 pinto

im hopefully after the whole setup, filter carbs manifold fuel pump. post or collect from anywhere around london/cambridge

cheers all, either pm or email

ant.collier@gmail.com

thanks

omega0684 - 3/9/09 at 11:20 AM

if you can't get hold of a full set up its not that difficult to do it yourself,

get a set of bike carbs of ebay,

get someone to make a manifold if you cant do it yourself (bogg bros etc)

low pressure red top fuel pump

easy

ashg - 3/9/09 at 01:47 PM

sorry for the hijack but could someone clarify why you cant use the pinto's fuel pump?

im planning to go down the bike carb route and was wondering if there was any way of keeping the old vac distributor and fuel pump?

my knowledge in this area is somewhat limited as i am more of an efi man

cd.thomson - 3/9/09 at 02:00 PM

you need a high flow low pressure fuel pump to supply carbs.

If you've got an efi (pinto or otherwise) pump in front of you then the pressure it produces is going to completely overload your carbs and they wont be able to control the fuel flow properly.

If you've got the pump from a carbed pinto sierra then this might work, but I suspect it wont flow anywhere near fast enough to provide enough fuel for the high performing bike carbs.

andrewcutchey - 3/9/09 at 02:16 PM

Bike carbs really need matching bike fuel pumps. Then you do not need to worry as the pump supplies enough fuel at exactly the right pressure. It switches on as the pressure drops and switches off when full pressure is reached.

ashg - 3/9/09 at 02:42 PM

its a carbed 1.6 pinto that i have with the mechanical fuel pump

the bike carbs i have to go on are off a zx6

the problem i have at the moment is that the pintos weber carb is too tall and i dont want to cut a hole in my bonet as it would be half on the bonet scoop and half off the scoop.

the plan was to make a manifold and fit the bike carbs to avoid a hole half on and half off my bonet scoop.

i didnt really want to spend a fortune on it because i want to fit a new zetec or duratec after iva.

so if i find a zx6 fuel pump get rid of the pinto mechanical one will that be better?

also what should i do about the vac advance on the distributor? can i just connect it to one of the ports on the new inlet manifold?

the goal at the end of the day is not to tune the balls out of it. it is to get it running within the emissions regs to pass iva without hacking up my bonet.

cd.thomson - 3/9/09 at 02:59 PM

55ant, think of these posts as free bumps

yes a zx6 fuel pump is going to be your best bet as far as setting the thing up properly goes, you wont have to worry about aftermarket fuel pressure regulators etc.

I believe on the vac advance side of things your options are leave it off, fit an electronic dizzy or fit megajolt.

andrewcutchey - 3/9/09 at 03:00 PM

A bike fuel pump will be better than the pinto mechanical pump and a regualator and possibly cheaper.
Ideally you want to run it with a vacuumless dizzy or a megajolt.
Like any carbs you'll still need to get the carbs running right as it is not often that they are totally plug and play.

ashg - 3/9/09 at 03:11 PM

just looked at zx6 fuel pumps on ebay. they cost more than i paid for the carbs

what detrimental effect would it have leaving the vac hose off the distributor? i assume it will prevent ignition advance when crusing resulting in crap fuel enonomy? or is that wrong.

i want to try and keep it locost as it wont really be a long term solution. when i change over to ze/dura i plan to go throttle bodys with megasquirt so the carbs etc will become redundant.

[Edited on 3/9/09 by ashg]