Board logo

Wtd. Help! - Ford tool 12-007
Front Row Joe - 12/5/11 at 08:00 PM

I'm trying to put my sierra rear disc calipers back together. Haynes states I need a ford tool 12-007 to wind the spring back into the caliper (over the pushrod) in order to get the circlip on. I have tried using a clamp but just can't get it to push in with enough room to get at the circlip. Any ideas. The tool or at least a decent stand in must exist some where! I probably should have just got then rebuilt but I've spent so much time on them now I don't want to give in. Thanks in advance. Joe.

snippy - 12/5/11 at 10:04 PM

Have you tried to wind it back in rather than push it? Sometimes they are on a thread and the thread can be a reverse thread too so for example anti clockwise will wind it back in. Otherwise most motor factors sell caliper wind back tools which should do the job.

James - 12/5/11 at 10:22 PM

Angle grinder spanner is pretty good I believe.

I used circlip pliers and no one had mentioned the above when I did mine.

Cheers,
James

daviep - 13/5/11 at 08:29 AM

^^^^ I think the OP is rebuilding the internals of the caliper and not simply winding the piston back to fit pads.

Sorry I can't help but a picture or two may throw up some suggestions.

Davie

Front Row Joe - 13/5/11 at 09:34 AM

Davie is right. It's the internal's I'm building. Might be difficult to show in a photo as its very tight! If you've done it before I have no doubt you'll know what I'm on about! Thanks for the replies so far.

Front Row Joe - 13/5/11 at 01:07 PM

Finally sorted it with an 11mm 1/2inch socket and some careful clamping. Cheers.