Board logo

Sky/Ethernet Extender
liam.mccaffrey - 17/2/13 at 07:16 PM

i am soon to be running out a trench to our workshop/office/gym where i'll be needing network connectivity and I would also like to extend the sky picture and control out to the tv there.

Has anyone had any experience of doing this as I beleive there are various methods. CoAx. Long HDMI cable, sky over ethernet.......

I need to decide which cable to run out fairly soon. Any one have any thoughts?

watsonpj - 17/2/13 at 07:39 PM

I use rf out (std sky not hd) on coax whilst goes about 11m in total currently to the garage. I use a video sender also but this is only for the remote functions not for video as i found that i get too much interference to use this. I previously used the same system over about 20m in total without issue.

How far are you trying to go?

Slimy38 - 17/2/13 at 07:47 PM

If you're wanting network connectivity, why not take advantage of Sky Go? Same channels as your standard subscription, but accessed over the internet. That way you can just run a single network cable to a computer in the workshop.

liam.mccaffrey - 17/2/13 at 08:05 PM

It's about 30m total, I hadn't considered sky go good shout

Barkalarr - 17/2/13 at 08:43 PM

What I would do is run an HDMI cable and a coax cable down there.

HDMI for HD picture (You can buy baluns from eBay for a HDMI connector over a single ethernet lead for £27 from China) and coax for the sky eye so you can change channel down there.

I'd run 2 x ethernet cables for the HDMI. You only need 1, but just in case it decides to break for some reason in the next few years.

Don't bother watching trying Sky Go - while it's ok, the clarity just isn't there and it will drive you mad !

I've bought both the single cat 5 and a double cat 5 HDMI balun's and they're fab - double's are about £15, single was £27.
The single ethernet HDMI needs power and the double ethernet HDMI doesn't.

sky12042 - 17/2/13 at 10:38 PM

Hi Liam

If I was you I would run at least one coax and an Ethernet, but ideally two coax and two Ethernet.

Coax for link from sky box using magic eye so you could get sky through rf and remote control, second as a back up and in case you want a sky+ box down there some day.

Ethernet so you could do hdmi over Ethernet and to give you a hard wired option for broadband.

Andy.

Slimy38 - 17/2/13 at 10:53 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BarkalarrDon't bother watching trying Sky Go - while it's ok, the clarity just isn't there and it will drive you mad !

Mine's always been perfect, played on a low spec laptop or an Xbox the picture is always clear with no artifacts? I got relegated to Sky Go to watch F1 last season, and other car related TV that SWMBO will not allow me to watch.

Although the Android version is one of the worst apps to ever be written, the six channels you can get are virtually unwatchable!

Mind you, it's easy enough to try out before running cable, to see if it's good enough to watch on a daily basis.