Board logo

Ali Panels, how did they do this?
Irony - 4/1/11 at 12:11 PM

Description
Description

Luego posted up on their facebook page this image of a car they have refurbished. I wanted to know what they did to the Ali to get it so polished. I wanted to do this myself. I don't want to use buffing wheels or Salvo Autosol. I thought they must have wiped on some sort of etching fluid.

I posted on the Luego page but no reply (again).

John Bonnett - 4/1/11 at 12:16 PM

It is difficult to see from the picture exactly how polished the aluminium is but you can achieve a very good finish just using Scotchbrite which is available in various grades.

Mal - 4/1/11 at 12:23 PM

Or by using aluminium with a protective plastic film and not removing it until the job is finished.

richard thomas - 4/1/11 at 12:29 PM

Looks like it's had a scotchbrite wheel over it?

blakep82 - 4/1/11 at 12:31 PM

you want to know how they did it so you can avoid making the same mistake?
looks to me like someones had a go at sanding it, looks un uniform, actually looks dented in the photo. doesn't look polished to me, but you can't really tell much from a photo without actually seeing it really

scootz - 4/1/11 at 12:32 PM

quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
you want to know how they did it so you can avoid making the same mistake?
looks to me like someones had a go at sanding it, looks un uniform, actually looks dented in the photo. doesn't look polished to me, but you can't really tell much from a photo without actually seeing it really

^^^That's what I was thinking^^^

speedyxjs - 4/1/11 at 12:35 PM

I think it'll look quite good when finished and covered in carpet

Irony - 4/1/11 at 12:40 PM

I have my ali panels off and I wanted something I can just rub on and create some sort of presentable finish. I really can't be bothered with the whole wheel in a drill thing. Although I do have all that kit.

I was after a quick fix I guess. Suggestions anyone??

RazMan - 4/1/11 at 12:49 PM

Scotchbrite pads rubbed in one direction can give you an attractive brushed finish. Looking at the pic, I reckon they just stuck a Scotchbrite wheel on it and went crazy - I can't think why they would want to do that to their new panels.

daviep - 4/1/11 at 12:50 PM

The panels look like they've been buffed with a scotch brite wheel on an angle grinder, you'd get a much better finish with a polishing mop.

Davie

loggyboy - 4/1/11 at 12:54 PM

Similar (and better IMO)
http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=114028

franky - 4/1/11 at 01:26 PM

once you do the above it won't take much for them to show signs of corrosion.

myke pocock - 4/1/11 at 01:43 PM

Or a fine flap wheel in an angry grinder. Dont like it meself but everyone to their own.

mcerd1 - 5/1/11 at 06:13 PM

not done it on sheet alloy yet but these worked well on some of the bits I've made: mop linky (assuming you want a satin finish not a polished one...)

[Edited on 5/1/2011 by mcerd1]

Confused but excited. - 5/1/11 at 06:50 PM

A polished finish will last longer. An etched or brushed finish will corrode like nobody's business if left unprotected from the air.
Ask me how I know.

mcerd1 - 5/1/11 at 06:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
A polished finish will last longer. An etched or brushed finish will corrode like nobody's business if left unprotected from the air.
Ask me how I know.

thats why I had my bits clear anodised afterwards (not very locost mind you )

Irony - 6/1/11 at 09:48 AM

It seems there is no easy solution to this aluminium sheet thing. I could try clear powder coating a sheet but I don't know how I am going to bake it. I shall eventually post up my results.

I might try using the mop or perhaps scotchbrite.

Confused but excited. - 6/1/11 at 03:24 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Ask me how I know.

I'm with you on that one, by far the best method and comes in pretty colours if required.

loggyboy - 6/1/11 at 03:31 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Irony
I could try clear powder coating a sheet but I don't know how I am going to bake it.

Heat gun:

a sheet would easily soak up the heat and not take 'too' long.

sm1ggles - 6/1/11 at 08:58 PM

i use brasso to clean my ali panels its hard work but worth it

mid-buggy - 6/1/11 at 09:32 PM

Elbow grease and all in the following link:

http://www.i4detailing.co.uk/acatalog/Metal_Polish_Sealant.html

BenB - 6/1/11 at 10:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
Ask me how I know.

Home anodising isn't tricky. But you'ld need a bloody big tank to do it in....