Board logo

Plastic V8 engine needed for a go-kart
nick205 - 23/5/14 at 08:37 AM

Some of you may recall I built a cart last year for a local downhill go-kart race...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=183119

Well this year we're building a second kart with a Hot Rod theme and we need a model V8 engine to fit on the front. I've had a Google and looked on eBay, but can't seem to find anything suitable.

Anyone got any ideas...???

(given time I could probably make one, but as ever, time is short)

[Edited on 23/5/14 by nick205]

[Edited on 23/5/14 by nick205]

stevebubs - 23/5/14 at 08:56 AM

V8 Haynes plastic model?

nick205 - 23/5/14 at 09:11 AM

That might well be an option!

Will measure up tonight and see how it works for scale on the kart.

Thanks Steve

Nickp - 23/5/14 at 09:54 AM

Just put a real one in, surely the momentum of an old iron block Chevy will win the race for you too

MikeR - 23/5/14 at 11:06 AM

Couldn't you "make" one?

Bit of MDF cut into rectangles, glued togother would make a 'head'. Glue / screw to a larger rectangle at an angle for the block. Make the block into a square. Drill some holes and fit some leads. Paint black / silver. For exhause I suspect plastic waste pipe would look great once painted silver.

A few hours should make something passable .... ish.

If you want to cheat fill the engine block with sand.

nick205 - 23/5/14 at 11:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
Couldn't you "make" one?

Bit of MDF cut into rectangles, glued togother would make a 'head'. Glue / screw to a larger rectangle at an angle for the block. Make the block into a square. Drill some holes and fit some leads. Paint black / silver. For exhause I suspect plastic waste pipe would look great once painted silver.

A few hours should make something passable .... ish.

If you want to cheat fill the engine block with sand.

I could do, but I'm limited on time and will probably only just get the rest of the kart finished in time as it is.

bi22le - 23/5/14 at 11:34 PM

I would concentrate on making our safe and fast and not care about detail. As you say, you are going to be lucky to even finish it on time.

Put a bonnet on ir and forgery about the detail.

Nickp - 24/5/14 at 04:42 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
I would concentrate on making our safe and fast and not care about detail. As you say, you are going to be lucky to even finish it on time.

Put a bonnet on ir and forgery about the detail.

+1, just stick 8 pipes out of the bonnet

loggyboy - 25/5/14 at 01:34 AM

A few bits of wood cut up to make the v block, then two matching rockers from any small engine?

TheGiantTribble - 25/5/14 at 08:31 AM

Cut up a block or two of polystyrene, and add 8 pipes of pipe/small flower pots for trumpets
stand back and admire, just don't look too closely :-)

RaveyDaveyDave - 12/6/14 at 03:39 PM

Pic makes me smile.......

Why has your boy got a helmet on if the cart has no wheels?

Has he been around dads handywork before?????????????

02GF74 - 12/6/14 at 09:18 PM

will we get an update and pics of what was finally made .... before it gets crashed