Board logo

Petition to ban shark finning
macspeedy - 20/5/09 at 08:45 AM

Please sign up and pass on

Ban shark finning

cd.thomson - 20/5/09 at 08:48 AM

Is that to ban those idiots with the strap-on fins who swim about in the sea at skeggy and think they're the dogs danglies?

Where do I sign...

tegwin - 20/5/09 at 08:50 AM

You can pose a ban on it.... but its impossible to enforce....The monitary motivation behind it needs to be removed first!

Mr Whippy - 20/5/09 at 09:36 AM

it does actually taste really nice as a soup, as do sparrows

poor sharks though, they don't bother anyone

DarrenW - 20/5/09 at 09:53 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
it does actually taste really nice as a soup, as do sparrows

poor sharks though, they don't bother anyone

Having been well travelled in China i do often wonder if some of there dishes are in name only rather than actually containing what you are led to believe. Sure is a shame to kill an animal for such a small part of the body but dont a lot of countries make significant use of all parts of the animals they eat? I was a little surprised to see rows of fishes heads in Chinese restaurants, dismissing it as gross at first until i tried the cheek meat i rather nice.

Im shocked to read the numbers of sharks killed each year. If they are right i believe it is a good thing to lobby and reduce it.

Vindi_andy - 20/5/09 at 09:57 AM

I have had shark steak which is very nice so i would be surprised if they only used the fin.
Also I believe some of the sharks internal organs are used in herbal remedies but i could be wrong

DarrenW - 20/5/09 at 10:05 AM

I must admit that other than possibly being served bits of shark whilst i was in China i wouldnt knowingly go out and buy shark products for myself. I love watching documentaries about sharks but even then wonder if its totally necessary to subject them to human contact in the interests of entertainment.

BenB - 20/5/09 at 11:07 AM

I'd like to start a petition which says

"We the undersigned petition people to pay attention to all the petitions being done at the moment which get totally ignored".

Whilst I dislike shark finning severely (despite being phobic of sharks!!!), is a petition really going to make a difference? I suppose it might show public support for a ban but practically?!?!?! Whale hunting is banned but it doesn't stop Japan's "research" ships with built-in canning machines......

andrewcutchey - 20/5/09 at 11:49 AM

I'm all for it, leaves more fish for us!
The only bit which is not good is throwing the carcasses back in, they should be eaten too.

macspeedy - 20/5/09 at 04:57 PM

quote:

I'm all for it, leaves more fish for us! The only bit which is not good is throwing the carcasses back in, they should be eaten too.

Hate to state the obvious but it doesnt work like that

Liam - 20/5/09 at 09:14 PM

I dare say mankind 'slaughters' and 'mutilates' many times more cod and prawns (for example) every year. Where's their sensationalist petition?