Snow Emergency
ReMan - 4/2/12 at 08:57 PM

Told my daugter I'd take her sledging tomorrow
But I havn't got a sledge
Tesco's will be sold out for sure
I'm too beered to make one

What alternatives do you use?

fullpint - 4/2/12 at 09:04 PM

A nice thick plastic water tank or plastic sheet (again nice and thick). Next doors shed door and just bolt on two runners

austin man - 4/2/12 at 09:05 PM

Kitchen tray, bin liner, tyre inner tube,

BigFaceDave - 4/2/12 at 09:05 PM

I have been informed that a upturned car bonnet is also very good if you have one kicking about

CRAIGR - 4/2/12 at 09:05 PM

Car bonnet. Well fast but bloody dangerous
Kayak but much the same as above.

[Edited on 4/2/12 by CRAIGR]

ReMan - 4/2/12 at 09:11 PM

Think next doors car bonnet willl be a bit dangerous with other peoples about
Keep em coming, i'm off to the kitchen

blakep82 - 4/2/12 at 09:11 PM

Did some girl not end up with a broken back from sledging on a car bonnet? Think it was on video too. Paralysed :-(

spiderman - 4/2/12 at 09:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BigFaceDave
I have been informed that a upturned car bonnet is also very good if you have one kicking about

A35 bonnet was the best sledge I ever had. Although it may be a little scary for a young one boy or girl, very fast and not much in the way of steering, just launch yourself and hang on for an adrenaline fuelled ride. Just make sure there is plenty of stopping room at the bottom of the slope without any obstructions. There are plenty of horrific stories of people who have collided with obstacles at the end of a slope even ones of decapitation of lads going through a barb wire fence.
Be save and have fun.

stevec - 4/2/12 at 09:21 PM

Wheely bin lid ?

Steve

Ninehigh - 4/2/12 at 09:40 PM

One of them plastic emergency sleeping bag things, possibly still available in camping shops? Not used one (and that was for sledging) since the early nineties

afj - 4/2/12 at 09:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
One of them plastic emergency sleeping bag things, possibly still available in camping shops? Not used one (and that was for sledging) since the early nineties

Bivvy bag. Car bonnets are good but locally two girls went through a barb wire fence at speed. Pretty sure that was the end of them

skydivepaul - 4/2/12 at 10:32 PM

Beware the car bonnet or other parts to make a sledge
I never will forget my mate when I was a kid. His dad made him a sledge from dexion shelving for the seat and a mini bumper cut in half for the runners
Awesome looking thing and weighed a tin. We dragged it up the hill and he went down like a rocket.
Straight through a barb wire fence at the bottom. He got away with 4 stitches to the chin
The sledge was mothballed after that

Safer bet is a thick poly bag or tea tray

zilspeed - 4/2/12 at 10:40 PM

Thick black bag.

You won't go very fast and will fall off at low speed before it all goes wrong.

skov - 4/2/12 at 10:55 PM

My best mate and I 'borrowed' his dad's windsurf board to use as a sledge when we were nippers.
It worked great, and we could fit at least half a dozen of us on it at a time

loggyboy - 4/2/12 at 11:03 PM

2ftby 4ft of 22mm chipboard, 2x 50x50 timber bars, curtain rail, £20 and an hours work.
And will last for donkeys yrs.

ReMan - 4/2/12 at 11:08 PM

Curtain rail, hmm I like that

JoelP - 4/2/12 at 11:11 PM

the recent fatal one was 4 kids on a landrover roof. Moral - dont make it too good.

ReMan - 4/2/12 at 11:15 PM

What about stiff rubber backed carpet, would that work?

monck - 5/2/12 at 01:27 AM

i used a car bonnet today very fast and dangerous

owelly - 5/2/12 at 10:25 AM

Fert bag. We grew-up knowing nothing else and when we got older, we found it hilarious that folks were BUYING plastic sledges.

Peteff - 5/2/12 at 10:39 AM

When I was a lad and lorries still had fibreglass cabs we had the roof off one as a sledge and in summer it turned into a boat

wilkingj - 5/2/12 at 11:17 AM

Stay away from the metal objects. What with hard pointy bits, with hard or sharp edges, at speed and soft human flesh are not a good combination.
Car bonnets (as sledges) are like Se7ens. They need to be treated with the greatest of respect, and are not something for the kids to play with.

As so often said on here... When they bite back they BITE HARD.
Enjoy... but think about safety, especially where the kids are concerned. (That includes the BIG kids amongst us )

ReMan - 6/2/12 at 11:09 PM

A good time was had, as can be seen a bonnet would not have been appropriate!
A Small t-tray type slege and an old shower curtain were used.
Will build one next weekend, that will put paid to any more snow in 2012

SNOWWW
SNOWWW

[Edited on 7/2/12 by ReMan]

Ninehigh - 7/2/12 at 07:30 AM

That and I wanted some snow round here will guarantee there's none this year!

swanny - 7/2/12 at 09:55 AM

i have a huge fisher fury bonnet bulge that you can have if you want for next time it snows!

just sat in my garden at the moment.

paul

Jasper - 7/2/12 at 12:01 PM

DONT USE PLASTIC BAGS OF ANY KIND:

My mates got a HUGE scar on his arse from sledging on a plastic bag when he was a kid- went over a sharp piece of flint and he ended up with loads of stitches, you've go no protection from anything hidden under the snow.

MikeRJ - 7/2/12 at 12:09 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
DONT USE PLASTIC BAGS OF ANY KIND:

My mates got a HUGE scar on his arse from sledging on a plastic bag when he was a kid- went over a sharp piece of flint and he ended up with loads of stitches, you've go no protection from anything hidden under the snow.

I was going to post the same, hit a large stone hidden under the snow and you could do yourself some serious damage with only a bin liner to protect you. As least with a proper plastic sledge there is some level of protection.