Board logo

VW self adjusting clutch problem
hughpinder - 6/8/12 at 06:17 PM

Help!!
My daughters polo has a cable clutch, self adjusting type. I've replaced it as it was sticking. When I replaced it, the old cable bought out a retaining clip at the pedal end, so as soon as I pressed the clutch the cable pulled straight through to the end of travel. I've managed to get the cable off, clip back and back together, but the clutch only bites right at the end of travel and slips like mad - do I need a new cable, or can this one be 'wound back in' somehow??
Thanks for any help
Hugh

[Edited on 6/8/12 by hughpinder]

jollygreengiant - 6/8/12 at 06:56 PM

Could it be the lever arm in the gearbox that is sticking.???????

hughpinder - 6/8/12 at 07:48 PM

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure it not, but I'll check nothing is jamming the arm at the moment. Before I replaced the cable, I lifted the lever arm and rotated the outer sheath (so that if the cable had worn a groove inside the sheath it would be in a different position), and the clutch stopped sticking. That was my logic for replacing the cable.
I've just dismantled the old cable and it seems you can get the mechanism to reset - but the only way I could manage it on the old cable was to cut open the self adjuster bit as you need about 6 hands othewise!
Any other suggestions?
Hugh

GOJO - 6/8/12 at 08:17 PM

If you want to reset the cable dissconnect from gearbox and push the inner as far in as you can then pull back out this should work, you could always go to a manual adjust cable if you have problems

hughpinder - 7/8/12 at 08:31 AM

Thanks GOJO.
I have tried this, but I obviously don't eat enough protein, as I can't get it to budge at all! I wonder if its gone past its normal adjustment range and jammed.
Crawled into work (about 20 miles) in low gear with the engine idling to minimise clutch slip this morning and left the car with my usual garage, but it has been pretty frustrating - the wrong cable was supplied twice, so I had that ******* cable in and out like mad over the last few days!
Regards
Hugh