Board logo

Zetec 1.8l flywheel skimming
Dooey99 - 25/1/13 at 06:47 PM

How much should I get skimmed off my standard 1.8L flywheel? I can get it done very cheaply

emwmarine - 25/1/13 at 06:50 PM

I thought the 1.8 was pretty light anyway. I would be nervous about skimming without having it balanced. A big heavy thing spinning just by your legs.

monck - 25/1/13 at 06:58 PM

ive also heard a lightened standard one can be dangerous how dangerous im not sure maybe just a small risk ?

If i remember to light it will be horrible on a road car and wont idle well ..

whitestu - 25/1/13 at 07:57 PM

The alternative is to get a 1.8 CVH flywheel and mount a trigger wheel on the crank pulley if you need it for ignition.

The CVH fly is about 2kg lighter than a 1.8 Zetec. The holes need drilling out though as the CVH bolts are smaller, but this is easy to do at home.

Stu

alladdin - 25/1/13 at 08:38 PM

taking some weight from the outside is fine, but you cant remove the holes unless switching to a trigger wheel.
on x/f and pinto flywheels its common to remove the outer "lump" on engine side of ring gear.

Dooey99 - 26/1/13 at 12:26 AM

i have experience with flywheel skimming and no how to do it safely i just wondered if anyone else had done it and how much they had taken off

Paul Turner - 26/1/13 at 12:21 PM

A steel flywheel cost me less than £200.

Plenty of evidence that lightened cast flywheels can explode.

How much do you value your legs.

rusty nuts - 26/1/13 at 12:27 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner

Picked my steel flywheel off of the bay for £40 including postage

alladdin - 26/1/13 at 04:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner

only reason for that is meat being taken from the main span, taking it from the large outer added section (for smooth running rep mobiles) will lessen the stress on the rest.

Dooey99 - 9/2/13 at 08:07 PM

If I was to take 4mm off the outer side, off the face where the clutch plate touches the flywheel would I need to leave the clutch mounting threads standard or could I take 4mm of them aswell? If that makes sense

big_wasa - 9/2/13 at 08:44 PM

A picture of my 2.0 fly done by scholar engines.