Board logo

quaife ATB question
richardm6994 - 9/2/15 at 03:44 PM

I'm nearly at the point where I've saved enough pennys to buy a "Quaife ATB differential: Sierra 7" rear (not Cosworth)"

http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-category/transmission-clutch-wheels/differential-lsds-atbs/quaife-atb-differential-sierra-7-rear-not-cosworth-qual sd5.html

I currently have a 3.38 7" diff with push in shafts. I'd just like to check with the collective that the Quaife ATB unit will fit and work with the push-in shafts as most of the photos I've seen show associated with the ATB and sierra diff all show bolt-on type shafts?

Wadders - 9/2/15 at 04:19 PM

At one time you could only get them to suit push in shafts, so unless things have changed you will be fine.....i know this cos i had to have custom driveshafts made when i fitted the Quaife, as i was using a Lobro setup.

Originally posted by richardm6994
I'm nearly at the point where I've saved enough pennys to buy a "Quaife ATB differential: Sierra 7" rear (not Cosworth)"

http://www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-category/transmission-clutch-wheels/differential-lsds-atbs/quaife-atb-differential-sierra-7-rear-not-cosworth-qual sd5.html

I currently have a 3.38 7" diff with push in shafts. I'd just like to check with the collective that the Quaife ATB unit will fit and work with the push-in shafts as most of the photos I've seen show associated with the ATB and sierra diff all show bolt-on type shafts?

Andy B - 9/2/15 at 04:22 PM

Hi
yes you can run push fits with the atb unit its just the ford Viscous lsd that wont accept them - we have 5 cars here with 7 inch ford diff quaife lsd and push fit joints and all are fine.
I am sure Austen (MK9r) will be along in a bit to expand as he has forgotten more than I ever knew on this topic
regards
Andy

richardm6994 - 9/2/15 at 04:26 PM

Cheers guys........and the link ......that's the correct ATB unit for my diff?

link doesnt seem to work.....burton Part No QUALSD5

[Edited on 9/2/15 by richardm6994]

joni - 9/2/15 at 05:54 PM

So if you have the bolt on shafts is there a quaife lsd that you can use
I was looking to use the plated type
Can anyone help thanks

[Edited on 9/2/15 by joni]

[Edited on 9/2/15 by joni]

snapper - 9/2/15 at 08:06 PM

Quaife do bolt on stubs for their ATB
The ATB Automatic Torque Biasing is gear based there are no FRICTION plates in an ATB

joni - 9/2/15 at 08:13 PM

I was looking to use a plated diff so what way do I go when I have bolt on shafts

CNHSS1 - 9/2/15 at 08:31 PM

Quaife bought Tran-x which do plated LSDs so quaife can now offer them albeit under their Tran-X brand.

Iirc you use the output flanges from a bolt on flange diff but they must be from a non LSD diff originally.

joni - 9/2/15 at 08:46 PM

Thanks buddy

raptor700 - 9/2/15 at 08:47 PM

I have a 3.38 ford diff with push in shafts , I bought the atb from burton, I made all the tools to strip it totally down so I could powdercoat the casing , I also wanted to change all the bearings including the pinion bearing which is prob 20years old!!!!!
You have to grind a small amount of the casing down on one side to get it in, I then took tit to a guy in Sheffield
Called Stuart who set the backlash, he was very good and helpful.
He supplies rebuilt diffs for rally design

turbodisplay - 9/2/15 at 09:33 PM

Would it be worthwhile buying a diff from a BMW instead? They do Plate LSD on some cars,
Toyota do make a few diffs with torsen LSD.

Darren

johnny7 - 9/2/15 at 09:44 PM

I will have an atb available soon that's coming out of my caterham- if anyone interested?

richardm6994 - 9/2/15 at 09:47 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johnny7
I will have an atb available soon that's coming out of my caterham- if anyone interested?

Will it fit my sierra 7" diff (push in shafts). If so then I'm interested.

richardm6994 - 9/2/15 at 09:51 PM

I've never done anything with diffs before and I'd got it in my head that I'd dismantle the internals, fit the quaife unit, reassemble and jobs a goodun....however ive Just been reading up on setting the diff preloads and backlash......a lot more to this than I first thought.

johnny7 - 9/2/15 at 10:11 PM

Yes it was/is fitted to a 7" Sierra diff with push in shafts-- it's a standard caterham fitting-

Paul Turner - 10/2/15 at 02:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by johnny7
Yes it was/is fitted to a 7" Sierra diff with push in shafts-- it's a standard caterham fitting-

Just be a ware that the Caterham requires the rear mount of the diff (its part of the rear cover) to be cut off to allow it to be fitted. If you used a diff that had been used in a Caterham in a car that required this mount you would need to replace the rear cover with a standard one. Easily done.

johnny7 - 10/2/15 at 07:08 PM

It's only the actual. Atb that's available- not the whole diff

richardm6994 - 10/2/15 at 07:23 PM

U2u me how much and when you think you'll be taking it out as I'm definitely interested