Board logo

Jag V12
speedyxjs - 10/1/08 at 04:07 PM

Im waiting to hear from a fairly local bloke on ebay selling a Jag V12. I have asked him for the dimensions to confirm it would fit my lengthened and widened chassis. The engine is from an 85 xjs. If it is the right size should i go for it or pass SVA with my 2.9 and upgrade post SVA?

big_wasa - 10/1/08 at 04:10 PM

if you have to have a V12 7 you may aswell start with it and do the job once.

good look with the pluming

speedyxjs - 10/1/08 at 04:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
if you have to have a V12 7 you may aswell start with it and do the job once.

good look with the pluming

i dont have to, i just figured iv gone to all the trouble to have a bigger engine bay, i may aswell make use of it.
I haven't decided yet, i could use a supercharged Jag V8 now that i know a V would fit.

pewe - 10/1/08 at 04:18 PM

Call me a kill-joy but I think you'd be better off with your V6.
My gut feel is that though the V12 will sound awesome it'll be heaps of trouble to fit and run - but hey whatever turns you on!
Cheers, Pewe

Supercharged V8 - now you're talking

[Edited on 10/1/08 by pewe]

speedyxjs - 10/1/08 at 04:29 PM

The only thing is that the supercharged V8 i could get 500 horses out of (but not very locost), with the 12, for the same money i could get around 700. The V8 weighs about 220 kg and the 12 is around 300.

Benzine - 10/1/08 at 04:33 PM

do it for the lulz

Gergely - 10/1/08 at 04:42 PM

700 bhp in a seven
I hope you have good insurance...

Go for it if you can, then post lots of pics and videos!

pewe - 10/1/08 at 04:51 PM

Presumably the supercharged engine will give more bottom end grunt - on second thoughts bet you wouldn't tell the difference when your brain is fogged out with all the tyre smoke.
Better get a job with a tyre company!
Cheers, Pewe

Danozeman - 10/1/08 at 04:53 PM

Go for it straight away man. There no point in doing the work twice.

IMO I think it would be extreme overkill with a V12 in respect of power size and actually using the power BUT it will be very different and hell of a beast. Id go for it!!!!

Just like matey on here with the viper engined viento Utter madness!! But great!!

big_wasa - 10/1/08 at 05:05 PM

Seeing the v10 7 at Newark made my day.

Fozzie - 10/1/08 at 05:39 PM

May I ask..........
by how much and how long have you lengthened and strengthened the chassis and tranny tunnel?

Ta
Fozzie

Mr Whippy - 10/1/08 at 05:41 PM

that v12 is colossal, I'm always seeing them in scrap cars and no one ever touches them, cos what on earth does it fit in? I have no doubt their good engines but very very heavy and thirsty.

zilspeed - 10/1/08 at 06:21 PM

V12 in a seven must mean low speed understeer. Which is not really the thing, is it ?

It's got to stick like a limpet.

Then there's the power and torque to contend with.
I would be willing to bet that over a twisty course, a well driven xflow powered car would absolutely spank it.

Confused but excited. - 10/1/08 at 07:08 PM

If you have upgraded the chassis to 50x50x3mm fair enough.
I would think the V12 in a 'seven' could give you a chassis somewhat pretzelish.
Oh, the bragging rights though!

speedyxjs - 10/1/08 at 07:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
May I ask..........
by how much and how long have you lengthened and strengthened the chassis and tranny tunnel?

Ta
Fozzie

Iv lengthened and widened the bay by 6" and there will be a little more triangulation going on.

speedyxjs - 10/1/08 at 07:15 PM

Oh and the steel is 2 or 3mm thick (cant remember but think it may be 3)

NS Dev - 10/1/08 at 07:16 PM

300 Kg engine

My whole car is only 560kg and that is with, as the bike engine boys would say, a heavy Vauxhall 16v engine (110kg sh)

The Jag gearbox is around 100kg as well isn't it??

iank - 10/1/08 at 07:26 PM

The other problems will be 1. the size of the fuel tank required, 2. the recommended carburation system is a bucket brigade with the guy at the front standing astride the engine pouring it in as quickly as he can.

speedyxjs - 10/1/08 at 07:37 PM

Are there any SVA issues i should be aware of?

speedyxjs - 10/1/08 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by iank
the recommended carburation system is a bucket brigade with the guy at the front standing astride the engine pouring it in as quickly as he can.

Not quite sure what that means but it is fuel injected.

Simon - 10/1/08 at 07:58 PM

Have a look at how close everthing is in my engine pics (fair way down):

http://deimosevolution.blogspot.com/

Then add another couple of cylinders lengthways, and a bit widthways. Will you be running the steering column though a hollow crank

BTW, I'm all for it

ATB

Simon

iank - 10/1/08 at 07:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Originally posted by iank
the recommended carburation system is a bucket brigade with the guy at the front standing astride the engine pouring it in as quickly as he can.

Not quite sure what that means but it is fuel injected.

too much wine == humour miss
It's supposed to imply they are about as thirsty as engines get.

To be honest you should do what makes you happiest, don't worry about us, the only thing to remember is it won't be anything like a 7 (except visually) you could even christen it the anti-bec

On SVA you will have trouble with emissions if it's one of the last ones (they made them up to 1996 according to wikipedia).

Fozzie - 10/1/08 at 07:59 PM

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
May I ask..........

Ta
Fozzie

Iv lengthened and widened the bay by 6" and there will be a little more triangulation going on.

I am pretty sure that is not enough....

Have you added anything on the depth?....and what about the tranny tunnel?

We have a Jag v12 in the work shop....would you like me to take some measurements next week?

Oh..we also have some straight 6's (Jags of course) I could also measure one of those too if you want...

Fozzie

mark chandler - 10/1/08 at 08:04 PM

I ran a 1987 v12 XJS for around 9 months, the engines are huge ! I also scrapped a v12 XJ6 so had one on the floor for around a year, 300kg I would hazard they weigh a bit more when you add the ancillaries.

This car was replaced by a 4.0ltr manual XJS which was both much faster and more economical.

The EFI is pretty simple on these but its in the rear so a lot of shortening required.

To be honest I would avoid unless you know its a really good lump. If its been standing around expect the head gaskets to have gone, its a wet sleeve engine which adds complexity so any issues they are not worth fixing.

But that said 9mpg on short runs, the best I every achieved was 17mpg with cruise control in on the motorway over a 200mile journey.

Best thing is the sound, 7000rpm exiting the dartfird tunnel, 70 - 80 mph 1st gear, 120-130 mph 2nd and 155 flat out also helps but you will need to move axle as well, infact complete drive train.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 10/1/08 by mark chandler]

Dingz - 10/1/08 at 08:04 PM

Well Richard Stewart (Robin Hood founder)managed to fit one in an early monocoque Hood Rescued attachment jv12.jpg
Rescued attachment jv12.jpg

joneh - 10/1/08 at 08:22 PM

700bhp in a 7??? Do you have a nice CD collection? I'm after a decent stereo too. If you have any of these, can you change your will and I'll come and pick them up the day after you pass the SVA.

Cheers,
Jon

jimmyjoebob - 10/1/08 at 08:34 PM

Like the essex v6 these engines breathe very poorly giving poor power and fuel economy but good torque. They both overcome this airflow problem when super - or turbo charged. An essex with low boost can easily push out a reliable 230. Fuel economy doesn't worsen (it is bad enough before!).

If you can machine up a pair of xj6 twin cam heads to fit you should be able to make much better power and improve fuel economy. Although not the same engine, the XJ13 engine used twin cam heads and made an easy 500 hp.

NS Dev - 10/1/08 at 08:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon

Then add another couple of cylinders lengthways, and a bit widthways. Will you be running the steering column though a hollow crank

BTW, I'm all for it

ATB

Simon

Just been having a peek at your build diary Simon! What can I say, nice job!!!

speedyxjs - 10/1/08 at 08:52 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Simon

I can fit my straight 6 in with plenty of room width ways and about 2 inches to spare length ways. Is yours a locost? I have based mine on chrisg's book so it will be a bit wider than a standard locost. The problem i have is that i only have room for one engine (in the garage ) so i cant look for a cheap one and sell it if it doesnt fit. I need to be pretty sure.

[Edited on 10-1-08 by speedyxjs]

speedyxjs - 10/1/08 at 08:57 PM

Fozzie - U2U sent

speedyxjs - 10/1/08 at 09:09 PM

After a bit of revision i have found that apparently the 300kg includes the gearbox (block is made from aluminium)

Fozzie - 10/1/08 at 09:36 PM

quote:
Fozzie - U2U sent

Replied...

mark chandler - 10/1/08 at 10:29 PM

A quick Google later

Jaguar 5.3 V12, 680lb fully dressed for installation, + heavy GM400 box ~200lb(not the light BW66 in early cars), I guess you will be looking at 850lb all in !

You will also need to keep this lump cool.

Not that I,m against the idea which is why I ran a V12 jag for a while, but I do think you will need to use as much of the donor as possible, complete drive train, front hubs (they are double wishbone so you can junk the heavy Jag arms) so should consider lifting the body from the car and building a chassis and suspension around the components, not customise what you have started.

Regards Mark

bobs bangers - 11/1/08 at 12:13 AM

Whilst I am no expert on building kit cars !! I know a fair bit about Jaguar. The v12 engine is one of the best they have produced. DO NOT repeat DO NOT fit a 4.0 V8 S/C XJR engine or early super V8 these cars were produced 97/98 onwards. They suffer terrible compression problems relating in part to Nickersil bore linings. Symptoms were poor starting and what became known as "V8 engine stall" Thousands of engines were replaced under warranty ! Not just by Jaguar. BMW also suffered similar problems with 7 series. The performane is awesome but for reliability I would look for an early 6cylinder XJR engine with Manual gearbox. These are found in 94 onward X300 models.

Regards

Bob

Simon - 11/1/08 at 02:21 AM

quote:
Is yours a locost?

Yeah based on RC's book, but chassis is PLUS 4", which means your chassis will only be a couple of inches wider (including engine compartment.

Maybe you should buy a Viento chassis

NS - Cheers. Will be happy when it's going

ATB

Simon

speedyxjs - 11/1/08 at 07:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by bobs bangers
Whilst I am no expert on building kit cars !! I know a fair bit about Jaguar. The v12 engine is one of the best they have produced. DO NOT repeat DO NOT fit a 4.0 V8 S/C XJR engine or early super V8 these cars were produced 97/98 onwards. They suffer terrible compression problems relating in part to Nickersil bore linings. Symptoms were poor starting and what became known as "V8 engine stall" Thousands of engines were replaced under warranty ! Not just by Jaguar. BMW also suffered similar problems with 7 series. The performane is awesome but for reliability I would look for an early 6cylinder XJR engine with Manual gearbox. These are found in 94 onward X300 models.

Regards

Bob

The V8 engines were built with steel linered engines from 2001. Iv got the VIN numbers at home but so long as it will fit, i think the V12 will be what i go for (god i hope it fits ). I was originally going to go for a 4.0 supercharged straight 6 which is why i build the chassis with a bigger engine bay.
Simon - the viento chassis is definatly an option if it doesnt fit but i really wanted to have a 'scratch built' car. Il see how it goes. I think it might be worth looking past that just to have a V12 lump

[Edited on 11-1-08 by speedyxjs]

akumabito - 11/1/08 at 08:58 PM

I always thought the V12 was cast iron. Are you sure it's aluminium? 300+ kgs seems pretty heavy for an all-aluminium engine. Isn't the Rover V8 about 160 ~ 180 ish?

speedyxjs - 12/1/08 at 09:04 AM

Linky

[Edited on 12-1-08 by speedyxjs]

iank - 12/1/08 at 10:46 AM

quote:
Originally posted by akumabito
I always thought the V12 was cast iron. Are you sure it's aluminium? 300+ kgs seems pretty heavy for an all-aluminium engine. Isn't the Rover V8 about 160 ~ 180 ish?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_V12_engine

While wikipedia isn't always completely accurate people tend to correct stuff like that pretty quickly.

tks - 12/1/08 at 09:30 PM

V12 in a seven wy??

in a middy ok!
in a ultima ok

but in a seven?

Saying that i do want to see the videos.

hope you can get the handling and the car balance a bit in course...

it won't like turning around a corner..

Tks

Maradona - 23/1/09 at 01:37 PM

Some time ago I heard a Jag e type with a V 12 engine, the sound was amaizing!!