Board logo

Mazda Rotary Transverse Install Possible?
smart1275gt - 25/3/08 at 09:06 PM

I'm a big fan of thr 12a/13b rotary engine, it's compact, light weight and powerful. I've seen a race Mini in New Zealand adapted to fit a 323 gearbox. Anyone thought of this as a mid engined powertrain? I'd like to fit one to a Ford ib5 or mtx but not sure about adapter plates and flywheels, etc.

Any info would be great.

Aico - 25/3/08 at 09:58 PM

Everything can be made, but it's costum. I've seen multiple amature like adaptor plates. You might be able to go for that if you like. The only professional rotary conversion I know of is the wankel onto an old VW Beetle gearbox. It's a transaxle, but not really the best gearbox you can think of huh.

NS Dev - 25/3/08 at 10:55 PM

I know of somebody running one in an autograss car transversely, but its on a GBZ transverse transaxle and they are 3 grand so not really a locost idea!!

Volvorsport - 25/3/08 at 10:58 PM

im pretty sure the NSU was transverse , but thats not locost either .

NS Dev - 25/3/08 at 11:02 PM

to be honest, its really a case of diy engineering on this one.

Get the cheapest and strongest fwd gearbox you can find and adapt it to suit.

Since canning the idea of using a transverse v8 or 4 pot turbo/supercharger setup in my autograss car due to having to spend 3k to get a strong enough gearbox, I have learnt that the alfa v6 fwd boxes are indestuctible and that there's a chap running a 400hp chevy though one in a grasser with no issues.......................

treat it as some engineering fun and a bit of a challenge!

[Edited on 25/3/08 by NS Dev]

akumabito - 28/3/08 at 02:01 PM

quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
I have learnt that the alfa v6 fwd boxes are indestuctible

Aha! I always suspected that! It's good to hear others find the same.. this opens a whole lot of interesting possibilities.. the Alfa V6 is a fantastic engine, but you could go for an RV8 for a budget V8 build.. or a Toyota/Lexus V8 perhaps... ooohhh, the possibilities are endless!