Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: pressing bearings into hubs
finlay

posted on 27/1/08 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
pressing bearings into hubs

hello there

just picked up my kit from MNR and was going through all the parts and noticed that none of the bearings were pressed into the front and rear hubs

unfortunately i dont have access to a hydraulic press, whats the best way to go about fitting the bearings ?

cheers

Finlay

Thinking about it

posted on 27/1/08 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not use the vice? Usually works using tube etc or old bearings to push the new ones in.
blakep82

posted on 27/1/08 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
mmm, i had this the other week... i tried a vice, but unless you've got a really big vice and a really big socket its not easy.

any engineering firms or any garages around you?
i went a local independant van hire place and asked, the guy said, "bearing press is round there, use a big socket to fit the bearing and go for it" left me to do it myself

[Edited on 27/1/08 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Peteff

posted on 27/1/08 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra bearings aren't that tight, they will tap in with a hammer without any problems.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Agriv8

posted on 27/1/08 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Finlay,

Sierra rears I just warmed thr hub carrier up in the oven ( Wife was out ! ) and chilled the racces and then tapped them in with a socket (you need to drify them in Square )

Fronts are you using MNR alloy hubs ?

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

bassett

posted on 27/1/08 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
sorry to hi jack the thread but on the my rears i've got push in shafts and the races are already in the hubs and we have tapered bearings, would we still need to press these in?
finlay

posted on 27/1/08 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Finlay,

Sierra rears I just warmed thr hub carrier up in the oven ( Wife was out ! ) and chilled the racces and then tapped them in with a socket (you need to drify them in Square )

Fronts are you using MNR alloy hubs ?

Regards

Agriv8

hi

thanks for the info

i have a raceleda front end

cheers

Davey D

posted on 27/1/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
on the front & rear it uses taper bearing, which dont need pressing in. there is just the retaining cover with the rubber seal that needs pressing in, but its so thin, and light that a vice can do the job easily

[Edited on 27/1/08 by Davey D]

Johneturbo

posted on 27/1/08 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D
on the front & rear it uses taper bearing, which dont need pressing in. there is just the retaining cover with the rubber seal that needs pressing in, but its so thin, and light that a vice can do the job easily

[Edited on 27/1/08 by Davey D]

But you still need to fit the outer race that sits in the hub. i used Agri8 suggestion, if your lucky the outer race will just drop in, if not use a socket and hammer
Basset are you fitting new bearings? if so you will get the outer race in the kit, best to change that too

[Edited on 27/1/08 by Johneturbo]

stuart_g

posted on 27/1/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Bearing seats were already fitted to my Raceleda front hubs. The bearings should be able to be put on and taken off the stub axle by hand, if not there is something wrong.

Bearing seats can be tapped in using a large socket around the edge of the seat.

[Edited on 27/1/08 by stuart_g]

Agriv8

posted on 27/1/08 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
In that case - I would fire an email of to MNR as I belive marc usually fits the races to the raceleda hubs ,

You can fit them ( buy the hubs you need to get really quite hot and the races VERY cold and you really do only have one chance to get it right and the hubs are not cheep !!

Though it may be that Marc has changed to toleraences on the hubs and they are now a home fit job but if it was me I would check first.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

marc n

posted on 28/1/08 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
hi all
warm hubs in oven 15mins
races in freezer,
and they will push in by hand easily, not keen on the press method as its easy to damage the races and the hubs if not in square

cheers

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
finlay

posted on 12/2/08 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
worked a treat

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.