Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: newbie needing advice
designer

posted on 6/6/11 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Well, that's your application to be a structural engineer refused, especially if you think force reacts in a curve and bending moments don't count!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 7/6/11 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Well, that's your application to be a structural engineer refused, especially if you think force reacts in a curve and bending moments don't count!

Too late My background is as a professional engineer and a design manager of a multidisciplinary design office employing another 6 professional engineers.

You know you should really read and attempt to understand posts before you reply. Your response was rubbish because you ignored the additional points raised and merely restated your opinion without attempting to justify that opinion. It had already been demonstrated why that opinion was faulty and you chore to ignore this -that was rubbish.

To restate the blindingly obvious all designs have to be fit for purpose and untill you define that purpose you cannot attempt a design. Despite it being poined out to you that there were specific manufacturing, use and marketing considerations you chose to ignore them and simply restate a simplistic opinion.

Do I have to say it a third time?

Absolute rubbish

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 7/6/11 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
And my 'inept' designs rotate at 200,000 revs, fly at Mach 2, are used on Formula cars and at SERN, and one is wending it's way to Venus!

This is a forum for the layman.

'Fit for purpose' is the cheap route and many parts work, no matter how badly they are designed; a part made from old bed ironwork will function just as well as a suspension component. If you mount a jet engine onto a barn door and send it down a runway, it will take off, is it still a plane?

Just in the same way that CAD does not make a bad engineer good.

Strontium Dog

posted on 7/6/11 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Now now, this is getting personal and isn't going to help anyone. An open and friendly discussion is more likely to be of help to everyone!

Now IMHO, Designer has a valid point about how forces act and how it is best to avoid bending moments around weld areas. However, this is out the window to a degree as soon as you build a wishbone with adjustment at the outer end (top ball joint) because the very adjustment will alter the line of force. Adjustment on the inboard end will mean a dogleg and again the line of force will not run exactly along the tube.

It can thus be seen that a compromise must be entered into if the bone is to be adjustable. If the jigging of the suspension brackets is spot on (rare indeed) then a non adjustable arm with perfect force alignment would be possible, but with no scope for any adjustment except by substituting other bones with differing geometries, possibly the best solution engineering wise but a PITA to implement!

That's how I see it anyway. I guess the question should be, has there been any failures of the MNR wishbones or are they fit for purpose. I guess they are or there would be a lot of crashed MNR's and some seriously disgruntled owners. The rest is down to aesthetics and what you personally think looks good!

mcerd1

posted on 7/6/11 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Strontium Dog
Now now, this is getting personal and isn't going to help anyone
not to mention off topic....

no designs are perfect, there is always some kind of compromise
the MNR ones work - plenty of cars on the road without issues to prove that (and thats the best kind of proof IMHO as a structural engineer)

but I'd strongly suggest that any further debate on this subject is in a new thread - incase jlayton or any other new owners/builders are sacred off by all this

[Edited on 7/6/2011 by mcerd1]

-

v8kid

posted on 7/6/11 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Very true mcerd1 and Strontium Dog point taken but it's fun

Should we have an "Insult each other" or "Handbags at dawn" forum - it might catch on?

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 24/7/11 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by v8kid
Very true mcerd1 and Strontium Dog point taken but it's fun

Should we have an "Insult each other" or "Handbags at dawn" forum - it might catch on?

Cheers!

Sounds like a plan... I vote we install "Calvinx" as head moderator on any such site !!!!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.