Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage - Water Ingress - Advice Please
Puzzled

posted on 3/8/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
OK Tompat

I have decided , that should you wish to apolagise for calling me a "TIT ---- RETARD ----- and a TOOL" , to share
my vast knowledge with you and point out the error of your ways!!!!!.

Firstly , refer to Litemoths previous post where he agrees with MY comments, but not the manner in which they
were conveyed. I have a weakness, I just HATE to see people make statements of fact , when I know these statements
to be wrong. On reflection, I , will apolagise for making the said statement in such a fashion. This does however, not
detract from the fact that I WAS RIGHT. I would respect Litemoths status , and his obvious knowledge in construction
matters. Therefore I have decided on the above course. Now, you may be asking yourself --- "Why should I apolagise
To this twat????" Reason ----- If you want to learn something ---- there is always a price to pay. So do the right thing --
and become a wiser MAN !!!!!

tompat3463

posted on 3/8/11 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
look mate... im not wanting too hear another way of implementing a DPC from the way ive been doing mine for the past 10 years...my DPC's have always been passed by local building control and i've never had work condemned for any reason.

instead of making ur silly sarcastic remark in your first post why not share with us the propper way to build a DPC in a garage and elighten us all

By the way i've been making my living from the construction industry for the past 10 years. I'm yet to know what ur Job title reads.

Message to the OP....as U know DPC is missing from your garage and as U've mentioned.. the method I advised on getting around this was an elidgable option.

Glad U've got it sorted mate.. although the scale of ur problem probably would not have caused that many problems.

Cheers Alan

tompat3463

posted on 3/8/11 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
PS. UR above monolog makes absolutely NIL sense !!
Puzzled

posted on 3/8/11 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Right Tompat,

Because you refer to me as "Mate" I will accept this as a form of apoligy and point out the following.

Previous Poster said there WAS a DPC under the blockwork at ground level. This IS IN FACT PLACED AT
THE CORRECT LEVEL. Where a wall is being built on an independant and seperate slab, for the purpose of
a garage , then the rising wall WILL ALWAYS BE BUILT ON A DPC. IT is usual and good practice to ensure that
the building should be started on the extremeties of the slab. Pathways should be poured afterwards, finishing a
min of 6 inches below the DPC level. As Litemoth pointed out, the problem here is, that because there was concrete
outside the rising wall with no fall away from the building, the water could not flow away ,and was coming back into
the building. Refer to my first post giving the solution.

" as mentioned above the DPC is at the wrong level.. Dpc on a garage should be around 225mm higher that the garage door opening.. "

You stated the above. Now picture this ----

Garage door ope,--- The bottom of the door usually closes onto the top of the slab --- agreed???/
If you follow YOUR logic and place the DPC 225mm higher than the slab, then damp will rise to the level of the
DPC, and will be evident insofar as the block/brickwork absorbs this damp.. Not So ????

When a garage is built as an integral part of a house, as you rightly point out, the floor level MUST be under
the floor level of the house.To ensure that rising damp is kept at bay THE DPC IS STEPPED WHERE THE GARAGE
AND HABITABLE AREA OF THE HOUSE ABUTT. This again is common and usual practice in structures that contain
different levels within. I enjoyed many years working in an industry that I loved, made money, lost money, but
the things I learned were ---- There is ALWAYS A BETTER WAY , AND SOMEONE ALWAYS KNOWS MORE THAN
ME.

Hope you have learned from me

Regards

RACER101

posted on 3/8/11 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the additional posts and for the useful linkies Litemoth.

This forum is a great place to get advice & opinions from people who generously share their knowledge and expertise and I am really grateful to all concerned.

I am not in a position to judge who is right or wrong in the "discussion" about correct techniques but, at the end of the day, the topic isn't important enough to fall out over.............chill guys please

With the useful advice I have now received I have at least 3 cheap and practical solutions to the problem (which is really only an irritation anyway rather than anything too serious).

Cheers,
John

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.