quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:
Originally posted by jase380
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
quote:
Originally posted by jase380
It's not a ringer, a ringer is a stolen car using the id of another vehicle usually written off or scrapped. I remember this advertised earlier this year with no id, got to say the bloke has some balls advertising it with the reg no on display, stating its on a dutton log book... wonder what his local police or dvla would make of it ?

A ringer is a car with the identity of a different car - it doesn't have to be stolen.

'car ringing', is the replacing of the identification numbers on a stolen car with those from a genuine (usually scrapped) vehicle.

This from my brother who has spent 10 years in west yorkshire police stolen vehicle squad, mainly recovering " ringers " from people who thought they had bought a genuine car / motorhome / van

You can't ring a car that has no id in the first place.

Are you saying that your brother would think that taking a reg doc from a scrap car and putting that identity onto a different car is ok then?

The term 'ringer' doesn't have a legal definition as far as I know but it seems to suit the situation here.

No, thats why people get there cars taken off them and lose the money they paid for what they thought was a genuine car. In the case of a motor home he recovered a bloke had paid 18k for a sunseeker ( i think ) on a ducato chassis, on the v5 it was a panel van. When the police siezed it they could prove where the genuine chassis no had been cut out and the van id welded in place. The bloke lost his motor home and his money.When they traced the van back to its previous owner he told them he sold it through auto trader for 1500 quid after smashing it up and only having 3rd party insurance, he didn't think it was worth the expense of repairing. Along comes a crook, nicks a ducato motorhome, buys the smashed up unrecorded van, sticks the id on the motorhome, strips the van selling bits off and weighs the rest in, flogs the motor home, job done 18k return for a 1800 quid investment.

The mk in what it is, a non iva'd kit with an id from a 300 quid ebay dutton on it.

exactly - a ringer

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.