Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Jag V12
joneh

posted on 10/1/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
700bhp in a 7??? Do you have a nice CD collection? I'm after a decent stereo too. If you have any of these, can you change your will and I'll come and pick them up the day after you pass the SVA.

Cheers,
Jon

jimmyjoebob

posted on 10/1/08 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Like the essex v6 these engines breathe very poorly giving poor power and fuel economy but good torque. They both overcome this airflow problem when super - or turbo charged. An essex with low boost can easily push out a reliable 230. Fuel economy doesn't worsen (it is bad enough before!).

If you can machine up a pair of xj6 twin cam heads to fit you should be able to make much better power and improve fuel economy. Although not the same engine, the XJ13 engine used twin cam heads and made an easy 500 hp.

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

NS Dev

posted on 10/1/08 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Have a look at how close everthing is in my engine pics (fair way down):

http://deimosevolution.blogspot.com/

Then add another couple of cylinders lengthways, and a bit widthways. Will you be running the steering column though a hollow crank

BTW, I'm all for it

ATB

Simon

Just been having a peek at your build diary Simon! What can I say, nice job!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

speedyxjs

posted on 10/1/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Have a look at how close everthing is in my engine pics (fair way down):

http://deimosevolution.blogspot.com/

Then add another couple of cylinders lengthways, and a bit widthways. Will you be running the steering column though a hollow crank

I can fit my straight 6 in with plenty of room width ways and about 2 inches to spare length ways. Is yours a locost? I have based mine on chrisg's book so it will be a bit wider than a standard locost. The problem i have is that i only have room for one engine (in the garage ) so i cant look for a cheap one and sell it if it doesnt fit. I need to be pretty sure.

[Edited on 10-1-08 by speedyxjs]

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

speedyxjs

posted on 10/1/08 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Fozzie - U2U sent

speedyxjs

posted on 10/1/08 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
After a bit of revision i have found that apparently the 300kg includes the gearbox (block is made from aluminium)

Fozzie

posted on 10/1/08 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
Fozzie - U2U sent

Replied...

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

mark chandler

posted on 10/1/08 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
A quick Google later

Jaguar 5.3 V12, 680lb fully dressed for installation, + heavy GM400 box ~200lb(not the light BW66 in early cars), I guess you will be looking at 850lb all in !

You will also need to keep this lump cool.

Not that I,m against the idea which is why I ran a V12 jag for a while, but I do think you will need to use as much of the donor as possible, complete drive train, front hubs (they are double wishbone so you can junk the heavy Jag arms) so should consider lifting the body from the car and building a chassis and suspension around the components, not customise what you have started.

Regards Mark

bobs bangers

posted on 11/1/08 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
Whilst I am no expert on building kit cars !! I know a fair bit about Jaguar. The v12 engine is one of the best they have produced. DO NOT repeat DO NOT fit a 4.0 V8 S/C XJR engine or early super V8 these cars were produced 97/98 onwards. They suffer terrible compression problems relating in part to Nickersil bore linings. Symptoms were poor starting and what became known as "V8 engine stall" Thousands of engines were replaced under warranty ! Not just by Jaguar. BMW also suffered similar problems with 7 series. The performane is awesome but for reliability I would look for an early 6cylinder XJR engine with Manual gearbox. These are found in 94 onward X300 models.

Regards

Bob

Simon

posted on 11/1/08 at 02:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Is yours a locost?

Yeah based on RC's book, but chassis is PLUS 4", which means your chassis will only be a couple of inches wider (including engine compartment.

Maybe you should buy a Viento chassis

NS - Cheers. Will be happy when it's going

ATB

Simon

speedyxjs

posted on 11/1/08 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bobs bangers
Whilst I am no expert on building kit cars !! I know a fair bit about Jaguar. The v12 engine is one of the best they have produced. DO NOT repeat DO NOT fit a 4.0 V8 S/C XJR engine or early super V8 these cars were produced 97/98 onwards. They suffer terrible compression problems relating in part to Nickersil bore linings. Symptoms were poor starting and what became known as "V8 engine stall" Thousands of engines were replaced under warranty ! Not just by Jaguar. BMW also suffered similar problems with 7 series. The performane is awesome but for reliability I would look for an early 6cylinder XJR engine with Manual gearbox. These are found in 94 onward X300 models.

Regards

Bob

The V8 engines were built with steel linered engines from 2001. Iv got the VIN numbers at home but so long as it will fit, i think the V12 will be what i go for (god i hope it fits ). I was originally going to go for a 4.0 supercharged straight 6 which is why i build the chassis with a bigger engine bay.
Simon - the viento chassis is definatly an option if it doesnt fit but i really wanted to have a 'scratch built' car. Il see how it goes. I think it might be worth looking past that just to have a V12 lump

[Edited on 11-1-08 by speedyxjs]

akumabito

posted on 11/1/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I always thought the V12 was cast iron. Are you sure it's aluminium? 300+ kgs seems pretty heavy for an all-aluminium engine. Isn't the Rover V8 about 160 ~ 180 ish?
speedyxjs

posted on 12/1/08 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Linky

[Edited on 12-1-08 by speedyxjs]

iank

posted on 12/1/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by akumabito
I always thought the V12 was cast iron. Are you sure it's aluminium? 300+ kgs seems pretty heavy for an all-aluminium engine. Isn't the Rover V8 about 160 ~ 180 ish?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_V12_engine

While wikipedia isn't always completely accurate people tend to correct stuff like that pretty quickly.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

tks

posted on 12/1/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
V12 in a seven wy??

in a middy ok!
in a ultima ok

but in a seven?

Saying that i do want to see the videos.

hope you can get the handling and the car balance a bit in course...

it won't like turning around a corner..

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Maradona

posted on 23/1/09 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Some time ago I heard a Jag e type with a V 12 engine, the sound was amaizing!!

Diego,
The locost builder from Argentina

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.