Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New builder Sweden
Triggerhappy

posted on 13/11/08 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
New builder Sweden

Recived my VortX Super kit yesterday in an insanely big crate

Everything well packed and behold the beauty within Rescued attachment DSC00067liten.JPG
Rescued attachment DSC00067liten.JPG

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/11/08 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
nice, like the chassis design and the proper height rollbar, are you going to fit snow tyres?

[Edited on 13/11/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 13/11/08 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Thats nearly half built .

Glad it got there in one piece, it is one hell of a christmas present to open.

Now get it built & enjoy

Enjoy

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

omega0684

posted on 13/11/08 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
SWEDEN WOW Locost builders are everywhere mind you isn't the most southern part of Sweden roughly the same longitude as Edinburgh in Scotland! Brrrrrr i bet its chilly there at the moment!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 13/11/08 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
SWEDEN WOW Locost builders are everywhere mind you isn't the most southern part of Sweden roughly the same longitude as Edinburgh in Scotland! Brrrrrr i bet its chilly there at the moment!

yeah but its warm here

Triggerhappy

posted on 13/11/08 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Well, when we don´t build seven´s we chase polarbears and eat penguins....in our Igloos

Here is an question for you.
My engine like air feeding so i thougt i should do some clever air intake arrangement.
Would it be feasible to actually use top grille inlet to scoop air...would make an GRP inlet funnel to fit and an 100mm round outlet t> hose > airbox.
Would it steal to much cooling air from watercooler?

As per alt 1 in the picture i stole! very nice car by the way! Rescued attachment scoop.jpg
Rescued attachment scoop.jpg

Agriv8

posted on 13/11/08 at 09:59 AM Reply With Quote
the very botom grill is designed for oil cooler so you could take a cool feed from there . Alt3 ( maybe ) just dont go through any deep water !!!!!

or a nascar scoop could be fitted at Alt2 did this on on of marc's race cars. Personally keeping the nice clean lines of the MNR would be a priority.

regards

Agriv8

Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

maartenromijn

posted on 13/11/08 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
It's looking good. Enjoy the build!

We expect to see some pics of the finished car before X-mas

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

02GF74

posted on 13/11/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
that wold work but the scoop looks quite small to feed an engine.

take a look at the Westfield nose, whcih has the large vent for air out of the radiator; maybe you could use that idea.

omega0684

posted on 13/11/08 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
i think that the MNR nose cone looks cool but restricts air flow with all those bars across it, they wont stop stones etc from smashing your rad to pieces, an open nose cone like on the westy's and DAX's and then fill in the whole with a mesh to stop the stones is better in my opinion. i do like the winged sides of that cone though.

what engine are you using? if you mount the rad at the front of the engine bay you shouldn't have any cooling problems?

[Edited on 13/11/08 by omega0684]

Agriv8

posted on 13/11/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
It is sugested to fit a mesh behind the bars to catch stones .

regards

Agriv8

speedyxjs

posted on 13/11/08 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Your build looks cool.
I agree the mesh behind the bars would be the best idea.
Be sure to post pics as you progress

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

pewe

posted on 13/11/08 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
IIRC from learning Principles of Flight years ago the Alt2 area is likely to be a low pressure area as it's immediately behind the nose.
You would be better using that as an outlet for radiator hot air (assuming it's behind the rad.) Best place will be somewhere where it gains max. pressurisation by being in the airflow i.e. around or just inside the nose-cone. Look at the way motorbikes duct air from the front of their fairings to an airbox near the carbs for more ideas.
Cheers, Pewe

Triggerhappy

posted on 13/11/08 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
I´m aming for Alt 1 but is nowhere close in realizing the idea just yet...has not even opened most of the small bubblewraped items in kit.

By the way an schematic idea!

Airscoop feeding hose, alupipe thru lower half of airbox Ali. Air filter fits on innerside of alupipe (in the box). Airbox lid in Carbonfiber.

Would this work? Rescued attachment airbox.JPG
Rescued attachment airbox.JPG

paublo999

posted on 13/11/08 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
what engine are you using.. my ZZR1400 is too tall with a decent filter on it so I am fitting a carbonmods scoop over the winter...

the zzr is too tall even with a chopped custom sump

good luck by the way

Paul

My videos http://www.youtube.com/user/ninjabogeyracing

Triggerhappy

posted on 13/11/08 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Paublo,

Im using the Suzuki equialent to your machine.

I have not put my engine in the car yet so i dont´n know how much room i have to bonnet. I suppose it will be tight thou.

I´really want to be able to support positive induction of air so an airbox is moore or less necessary.

Also to keep induction noice down...Swedish SVA are really noice shy.

C10CoryM

posted on 14/11/08 at 02:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triggerhappy
Well, when we don´t build seven´s we chase polarbears and eat penguins....in our Igloos

Hey now, no igloo jokes. Those are reserved for us Canadians

I would guess either hole would work well. You will not gain/lose much from air inlet location at the speeds we deal with. Main thing is to get nice cold air in there. And no, that wasn't a jab about your weather
As for cooling, I would guess by the size of most bike radiators you won't need the full grille opening. Just make sure to duct it (radiator inlet and exhaust).
Cheers.
Cory

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

RK

posted on 14/11/08 at 03:42 AM Reply With Quote
Whaddayou know about bad weather?????? I still haven't recovered from moving out here in hell land almost 10 years ago from VR. Before you ask why, it is entirely my wife's fault. Obviously...
Gergely

posted on 14/11/08 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
If you use the trick 4core ali rad from MNR, there will be plenty of space above and under the rad as well, as the rad is quite small. You would be able to make a funnel to your air feed using a couple of slats on the nose cone.
Personally, we will probably take the air feed from above the rad, but not sure if we need to have a funnel made...

[Edited on 14/11/08 by Gergely]

Triggerhappy

posted on 14/11/08 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
I spent last night opening all the bubblewrapped items...had an moment of joy fitting (for try) the racecooler...perfect fit in welded brackets

played around with my Mocal oilcooler below the rad, got tight due to AN-10 hose fittings (90deg) are so high.

Will tryfit the nosecone to evaluate space above rad tomorrow...or tonight

Sleep will be an rear commodity in near future *looking in my crystal ball*

marc n

posted on 14/11/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
your engine bay undertray is made over size so you can use that for your lower oil cooler mounting points

also the bit about the bars in the grill raising temps, it is incorrect and i have the data to prove it, i cut every grill out of the nosecone on a raceday and it didnt make 1 degree difference, but it is advisable to use mesh to stop debris smaller than the grills from coming through

have fun building

best regards

marc

[Edited on 14/11/08 by marc n]

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Triggerhappy

posted on 14/11/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Marc,
great...will try fit!

Any comments on my air intake idea (page 1)?

marc n

posted on 14/11/08 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
andy bates from ab performance supplies a duct that fits in the nose he recommends this with his airbox system, i would definately duct some cold air to the airfilter / airbox but not directly feeding it ( i.e pressurised ) with the enclosed floor i would allow some air out ( best place is at rear of bonnet ) send me an email and i will send some pics of my old racecar

best regards

marc

please email rather than u2u
direct workshop email ( manned 8am till 6pm )
www.mnrltd.co.uk enquireys to :-
chrismnrltd@btinternet.com

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.